• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

We hardly had a shot on target so we didn't play well and won due to some brilliance out of nothing but I will take it. Does Jose get credit for yesterdays win for tactics? I am not so sure.

We hardly had a shot on target so we didn't play well and won due to some brilliance out of nothing but I will take it. Does Jose get credit for yesterdays win for tactics? I am not so sure.

I think he does, the way we have started this season Burnley were never going to open up and give us chances.
We went out with a plan and stuck to it. Then when the "easy" answer was to bring on bale to score a worldie, Jose changed the shape, brought in some one to pick holes in a tiring defence and create a chance.
Top marks from me.

I think he does, the way we have started this season Burnley were never going to open up and give us chances.
We went out with a plan and stuck to it. Then when the "easy" answer was to bring on bale to score a worldie, Jose changed the shape, bought in some one to pick holes in a tiring defence and create a chance.
Top marks from me.
He used his players to get a result
We win and keep a clean sheet
Can’t really ask for more
Was a touch game and we got through it.

Exactly, we played Thursday, Monday and need to play Thursday, Sunday, Thursday, Sunday again.

Start would likely have included Bergwijn, but he had a small knock, easy answer would have been to play Aurier and Reguilon but I think we are trying to lock up group stage qualification as soon as possible.

He took a calculated risk, it paid off, well fudging done.

Sent from my SM-N960F using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

He used his players to get a result
We win and keep a clean sheet
Can’t really ask for more
Was a touch game and we got through it.
But we created a solitary chance, a fairly fortunate one. We could just as easily have not scored and ended with a drab draw where you's have to say we never really went for it or tried to win. We just kept on doing the same things that clearly weren't working.

Tough crowd in here.

Clean sheet, 3 points, playing 2 games a week. Anyone expecting to go there and watch us play them off the park had a different understanding of football than I do.

We didn't create much cause we concentrated on not giving up much. We can't play full throttle every game for every minute. As soon as we opened up a bit we scored.

Vinicuis was ready to come on before we did. Lamela came on and affected the game, a sub that nobody called for or thought of. I think Jose and the team earnt some credit today.

It's like people will tolerate him as long as we're banging in 3+ goals a game, but anything less and the same tired lines come out.

Come on mate, we backed ourselves to get the goal and we did.

Son had a one on one that normally he would put away, Davies almost got on the end of Lamela's cross, and Lamela himself had a shot on goal (so that's three in 2nd half i can quickly recall)

Jose had Vinicius and Bale warming up just before goal, we would have thrown everything at it if we needed.

Can't criticize on what might have been.
But we created a solitary chance, a fairly fortunate one. We could just as easily have not scored and ended with a drab draw where you's have to say we never really went for it or tried to win. We just kept on doing the same things that clearly weren't working.

But the same thing DID work. That's the point, you keep trying until it does.

But we may have created more with changes to players and tactics

Come on mate, we backed ourselves to get the goal and we did.

Son had a one on one that normally he would put away, Davies almost got on the end of Lamela's cross, and Lamela himself had a shot on goal (so that's three in 2nd half i can quickly recall)

Jose had Vinicius and Bale warming up just before goal, we would have thrown everything at it if we needed.

Can't criticize on what might have been.

I'm not criticising what might have been I'm talking about the poor attacking performance we put in. Those were chances were barely half chances and what we did score from while well worked is a low percentage chance. On another day we don't score it and Burnley actually score first. I'm not going to pretend all was well just because it did fall our way just as if we play well and it doesn't happen for some reason I won't suddenly criticise everything. There were some very real attacking problems yesterday and we never addressed them we just happened to score from a low percentage set piece. The sky isn't falling but if the same set of circumstances happen again and they might we need to have a better approach than what we tried yesterday.

I see what you are saying, but with some caveats.

Burnley deserves at least acknowledgement that they make it difficult.

Our best attacking games include Reguilon and Aurier (for now), also Bergwijn/Lamela instead of Lucas.

Team was picked with an eye on Thursday, a bit of a gamble that worked.

So yes, it could have panned out differently, but I'd still argue we would have played a different side in a one off context and we still had a plan B with 15 mins left if needed.
I'm not criticising what might have been I'm talking about the poor attacking performance we put in. Those were chances were barely half chances and what we did score from while well worked is a low percentage chance. On another day we don't score it and Burnley actually score first. I'm not going to pretend all was well just because it did fall our way just as if we play well and it doesn't happen for some reason I won't suddenly criticise everything. There were some very real attacking problems yesterday and we never addressed them we just happened to score from a low percentage set piece. The sky isn't falling but if the same set of circumstances happen again and they might we need to have a better approach than what we tried yesterday.

But the same thing DID work. That's the point, you keep trying until it does.

No it didn't we scored from a set piece, outside of that we looked like we had no ideas.

I don't know why there's any argument on this point tbqh it seems pretty cut and dry that we created little, done little to change it and got a lucky break from a set piece goal. Seems a fairly easy one to chalk up as a must do better, both on the pitch and from the sidelines.

Last edited:
No it didn't we scored from a set piece, outside of that we looked like we had no ideas.

I don't know why there's any argument on this point tbqh it seems pretty cut and dry that we created little, done little to change it and got a lucky break from a set piece goal. Seems a fairly easy one to chalk up as a must do better, both on the pitch and from the sidelines.

I think that's fair.

I also think that as far as bad performances go, closeish games away from home against teams I expect to be mid table is progression of a kind.

Must do better, must improve, but I don't expect improvement to be linear.

You can only begin to make that argument if you had seen us play the full 90 minutes with no goals scored and little/no tactical change.

Who are you to say what Jose would or would not have done towards the end if we were still drawing?
All we know is that Vicinius was preparing to come on before the goal - almost certainly a change of shape and approach would have followed.

I suppose we'll not only have to keep winning matches, but actually win all games comfortably and without luck for all fans to be pleased...

You can only begin to make that argument if you had seen us play the full 90 minutes with no goals scored and little/no tactical change.

Who are you to say what Jose would or would not have done towards the end if we were still drawing?
All we know is that Vicinius was preparing to come on before the goal - almost certainly a change of shape and approach would have followed.

I suppose we'll not only have to keep winning matches, but actually win all games comfortably and without luck for all fans to be pleased...

You're arguing a point I didn't make. I spoke only about what we did do. Which was create no real chances and score from a set piece. I made no claim as to what Mourinho would or wouldn't have done just that was was done was not effective.

Shouldn't be leaving it so long to change something that clearly isn't working, would be my response there, what if Burnley were the ones who got the break from a set piece? We'd then be chasing a point. We have an embarrassment of riches on the bench these days, no excuse to watch a game unfold like that when it's obvious the way it's going early on.

Back