• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dele Alli

I think its a bit unfair to say fans are singling Dele out, most of us know he is a very good player but most fans i know have said/think they do not just where Dele will play now. That is not singling him out but asking a serious question.

Confirmed by The Athletic. Clarke and Gedson are in the squad so this isn't a question of ability. There's been a falling out or Jose isn't happy with Dele's attitude/application.

Gedson can't play on Thursday, so that could be a factor in tonight's selection.

I think that it is a mistake to say that there has been a falling out with Mourinho. We have no idea whether that is the case. What we do know is that we rejected approaches for him in the window and that he was in the last squad (and played).

Gedson can't play on Thursday, so that could be a factor in tonight's selection.

I think that it is a mistake to say that there has been a falling out with Mourinho. We have no idea whether that is the case. What we do know is that we rejected approaches for him in the window and that he was in the last squad (and played).

The lad is easily talented enough to be in our squad. So it comes down to an argument or Jose doesn’t like something.

Falling outs happen regularly so it’s not beyond the realms of possibility. Doesn’t mean it’s the end of the road necessarily.

The more likely option, from all the noises from Jose and Alli, is that Jose sees something he doesn’t like.

Either way it’s a shame because he’s a great player and seems a decent sort of lad. Hopefully we can get a Ndombele type resurrection.

The lad is easily talented enough to be in our squad. So it comes down to an argument or Jose doesn’t like something.

Falling outs happen regularly so it’s not beyond the realms of possibility. Doesn’t mean it’s the end of the road necessarily.

The more likely option, from all the noises from Jose and Alli, is that Jose sees something he doesn’t like.

Either way it’s a shame because he’s a great player and seems a decent sort of lad. Hopefully we can get a Ndombele type resurrection.

He doesn't fit easily into the formation that gets our best players on the pitch and his form hasn't been great. I think that Mourinho Is trying to provoke a reaction and get Dele to play to his full potential. I don't think that it goes much further than that.

There's a few things Dier and Winks could do with improving in their game to, wonder what it is about Dele Alli that means he gets singled out?

Its the fact that Dele seemed destined for much greater things in his career, but the last couple years he's been poor. Dier and Winks have never been likely to reach the levels which Dele looked like he could get to.

Plus also that because of the regular appearances which Dele has in the media for non-footballing reasons, rightly or wrongly there's always the perception about his focus. With Dier and Winks, there is never that - its more a question of whether they have the potential and ability

Asked this before last time the subject came up but what appearances in the media outside of the football are we talking about here? The Boohoo thing 2+ years ago and some computer related thing more recently?

Because it seems to me peoples perceptions and reality are two vastly different things when it comes to Alli.

He doesn't fit easily into the formation that gets our best players on the pitch and his form hasn't been great. I think that Mourinho Is trying to provoke a reaction and get Dele to play to his full potential. I don't think that it goes much further than that.

I agree, I'm just surprised it's to this length / extreme e.g. only getting a sub appearance against LASK. Especially when a) his attitude and work rate has looked pretty good to me when he's played, b) Moura's been fairly brick all season but is still getting lots of minutes, and c) Alli actually looked pretty good last season under Jose (and again, certainly better than Moura and Lamela in my opinion).

I just hope Jose's judging this correctly and isn't instead going to demotivate and burn bridges with Dele, by being unfair in the limited number of opportunities he gives him to try and prove himself. I certainly think Dele should start on Thursday.

I agree, I'm just surprised it's to this length / extreme e.g. only getting a sub appearance against LASK. Especially when a) his attitude and work rate has looked pretty good to me when he's played, b) Moura's been fairly brick all season but is still getting lots of minutes, and c) Alli actually looked pretty good last season under Jose (and again, certainly better than Moura and Lamela in my opinion).

I just hope Jose's judging this correctly and isn't instead going to demotivate and burn bridges with Dele, by being unfair in the limited number of opportunities he gives him to try and prove himself. I certainly think Dele should start on Thursday.

Mourinho isn't normally worried about burning bridges in public and he's not doing that with Dele, I'd even go as far as to say that he is being protective of him by refusing to get drawn on it.

Dele was great when Mourinho first came in but his form dropped after that.

Mourinho isn't normally worried about burning bridges in public and he's not doing that with Dele, I'd even go as far as to say that he is being protective of him by refusing to get drawn on it.

Dele was great when Mourinho first came in but his form dropped after that.

I meant burning bridges in terms of Dele no longer wanting to play for him, rather than the other way round.

And I agree Dele's form dropped, but wasn't that at least partly to do with Kane and Son's injuries? Everyone's form dropped at that point. Don't think Dele's been any worse than Moura, Lamela or Bergwijn, but he's getting less mintues than all of them.

Anyway I can see Jose's approach with Dele working, but only if Dele feels at some point that he's being given a fair chance to prove himself.

Impossible to know what's happening in training though, maybe Jose still feels he's not working hard enough there.

Point being as brick as Lucas maybe in a game, in training he must be giving his all. Even in games he must be following instructions and playing as best as he can.

If Alli is not putting it in in training to the coaching staff's required level why should he be getting opportunities? It's just a slap in the face of the rest of the squad.

Plus I find it hard to feel sorry for players who dont/refuse to train well. It's what an hour a day 3/4 times a week with all the support staff around you'd ever want.

Again, Dele has choices to make on and off the pitch. His life has been far from easy, and I'd say this situation brings with it tremendous pressures for a 24 year old who has been in the spotlight since he was a teenager.
He will get all the support he needs from the club I am sure, I am sure Levy will be sure to help, and I think Mourinho will use every angle he has to be the catalyst Dele needs to kick on and give himself the career his supreme talents deserve. In many ways this is a natural moment for a lad who has had his life thus far. I am hopeful he will be back to his blistering best by spring; I personally am not looking much before that.

Back