• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Spurs v Burnley

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Could (and possibly should?) have cost us the game though. An absolutely ridiculous moment I thought.

I thought the whole team were OK overall other than Davies and Doherty who were poor. Both look a fair way behind the first choice two IMO. Pick of the other 9 for me was probably Ndombele who did something positive every time he got the ball.

Yes, Wood read what he was going to do and we got lucky there. Got to keep it simple in the position.

Good win that.
Reading a lot about the FBs, well, we set up to be less marauding in such a sense (I suspect) because it is Burnley. I thought the game plan looked like it worked, tight, tough and keeping mistakes to a bare minimum.

Jose did specifically say after the match that he thought a number of times about swapping in Reguilon for Davies as the game went on but he kept choosing not to because of the nature of Burnley and the demands they put up against you.
I can envisage Reguilon being more aggressive in bursting forward, not just straight down the touchline like Davies, but actually trying to cut in a bit, weave around and get involved in attacks. But then he'd be so much more exposed to being caught out of position. It's very early in his PL career for him to be up against this specific challenge.

The number of times watching the match where I noted the Burnley positions and it was 2 banks of 4, quite narrow, with the front two also in the Burnley half further back than the centre circle. That disciplined density was such a deliberate frustration and I think it would have been quite a challenge for Reguilon as he'd have lost the ball a fair bit and then needed to rapidly retreat. He's capable of the rapidity, but then having to swiftly resume the disciplined defensive shape...I think it might be a bit early in his group adaptation process to entrust that sort of intensive role to him.

Both fullbacks were, as mentioned by someone above, seeming to play traditionally. Par for Davies, but Doherty didn't - to my recollection - do very much cutting in and driving towards the Burnley box. He also remained resolutely on the flank, maintaining that shape to try pull a defender further wide and create a little more space centrally and on the other flank.

I like Lamela but bloody hell it's like a cult on here.

Im not his biggest fan but I’ve come to appreciate him for what he is which a horrible, cynical bugger ideal for coming on towards the end of the game and unsettling the opposition, the West Ham game would have been perfect for him. Don’t see him as much of a creative player and he doesn’t score much. But he has his uses in certain situations. But yeah he can do no wrong in some people’s eyes :D along with Dier. Thought he did well when he came on last night. Kane was MOM for me though.

He created the most chances in the game of any Spurs player despite having 33 minutes.

Against teams that tend to be physical he is just what you need, he disrupts any opposition play.

Is he a starter? Not against a fit Bale but he's making a strong argument against Lucas, Dele or Bergwijn (I'd probably just give the nod to Bergwijn).

Personally he and PEH in our midfield is brilliant after years of watching teams just kick the brick out of our players.

Watch yesterday after the elbow against Toby and Son being taken out with no yellow from ref, then Lamela returns the favor .. its a fudging message..
Im not his biggest fan but I’ve come to appreciate him for what he is which a horrible, cynical bugger ideal for coming on towards the end of the game and unsettling the opposition, the West Ham game would have been perfect for him. Don’t see him as much of a creative player and he doesn’t score much. But he has his uses in certain situations. But yeah he can do no wrong in some people’s eyes :D along with Dier. Thought he did well when he came on last night. Kane was MOM for me though.

Sent from my SM-N960F using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

As everybody has said it was fairly poor attacking performance but at least we showed a bit of fight and resilience... A point would have been a fair result so, for me at least, i feel slightly less angry about the 4 home points we and VAR threw away....

Do i think we can win the league? My heart says possibly and my head says probably not as some disaster is sure to happen to us that we have no control over....

However, a month ago we were 9th favourites at around 50/1. We are now third favourites at 8 or 9/1.

Also, those old enough to remember Everton's first game of the season in about 1985 when they last won the title, will know that they lost 4-1 at home to the mighty and glorious Tottenham Hotspur... Could that be an omen after our opeing day home defeat to them?

And i havent even mentioned that next year ends in a 1...

COYS.

He created the most chances in the game of any Spurs player despite having 33 minutes.

Against teams that tend to be physical he is just what you need, he disrupts any opposition play.

Is he a starter? Not against a fit Bale but he's making a strong argument against Lucas, Dele or Bergwijn (I'd probably just give the nod to Bergwijn).

Personally he and PEH in our midfield is brilliant after years of watching teams just kick the brick out of our players.

Watch yesterday after the elbow against Toby and Son being taken out with no yellow from ref, then Lamela returns the favor .. its a fudging message..

Sissoko clattered Barnes too after Toby got the elbow. I'm no Sissoko fan but thought last night was the sort of game you use him if you're going to use him. Was better than Winks, for example, would have been. Left a bit on a couple of their players.

I thought Sissoko had a good game, played as almost a destroyer (more than I've seen in the past)

People don't understand, having 2-3 players in the team that won't let a player pass, just take the foul, accept a card if you need to is a big part of successful sides
Sissoko clattered Barnes too after Toby got the elbow. I'm no Sissoko fan but thought last night was the sort of game you use him if you're going to use him. Was better than Winks, for example, would have been. Left a bit on a couple of their players.

Amazes me the back tracking by 'experts'. Not one of them thought we were even in the running for top 4 this season now they think we are.

I understand not thinking we can win the league but top 4? How many years in a row before last season, since Jose took over we've got the 3rd/4th most points I think. To say we've got no chance of top 4 is blatant disrespect.

I also notice the 'Son to insert pundits favourite team' campaign has started as well.

I thought Sissoko had a good game, played as almost a destroyer (more than I've seen in the past)

People don't understand, having 2-3 players in the team that won't let a player pass, just take the foul, accept a card if you need to is a big part of successful sides

Haven't seen the stats or anything but his passing seemed decent last night to me in that he rarely gave it away. He also made two brilliant tackles to cover Doherty. One in the first half and one in the second. The one in the second half didn't get the credit it deserved because the commentator dismissed it as "Sissoko was always favourite for that one". He was because he was very alert and moved towards the danger early.

Wouldn't have him in the team for Sunday when we'll need a bit of guile and creativity but thought he was very good last night given the type of game it was.

Amazes me the back tracking by 'experts'. Not one of them thought we were even in the running for top 4 this season now they think we are.

I understand not thinking we can win the league but top 4? How many years in a row before last season, since Jose took over we've got the 3rd/4th most points I think. To say we've got no chance of top 4 is blatant disrespect.

I also notice the 'Son to insert pundits favourite team' campaign has started as well.

That's because the top 4 has to include ManU, ManC, Liverpool and Chelsea. They spend the most money, obviously they're the best teams. The idea that we might make better use of the resources available to us simply does not compute. Most pundits seem to think Liverpool and Chelsea had a great transfer window, but we only had an average one.

Haven't seen the stats or anything but his passing seemed decent last night to me in that he rarely gave it away. He also made two brilliant tackles to cover Doherty. One in the first half and one in the second. The one in the second half didn't get the credit it deserved because the commentator dismissed it as "Sissoko was always favourite for that one". He was because he was very alert and moved towards the danger early.

Wouldn't have him in the team for Sunday when we'll need a bit of guile and creativity but thought he was very good last night given the type of game it was.

Yeah. I think Hinchcliffe was the co-commentator who seemed to just have a parade of niggling remarks to make against Spurs. It was odd, don't think I've noticed it from him before. The was praise given to a few individual players (Kane and Son) but very negative about the team. He seemed, from very early on, to have a phrase to throw in about 'Spurs need to be sharper'. Well yeah. But without acknowledgement of the shape and style that Dyche deployed to specifically prevent us being sharp, it was not exactly insightful stuff from a co-comm.

That's because the top 4 has to include ManU, ManC, Liverpool and Chelsea. They spend the most money, obviously they're the best teams. The idea that we might make better use of the resources available to us simply does not compute. Most pundits seem to think Liverpool and Chelsea had a great transfer window, but we only had an average one.
It was nice to hear Gary Neville say that he was fairly stunned by our transfer window business, and amusing to see him try to compute it alongside his preconceptions of Levy.

It was nice to hear Gary Neville say that he was fairly stunned by our transfer window business, and amusing to see him try to compute it alongside his preconceptions of Levy.

Yeah, think he was in the same place I was with Levy and Mourinho when he joined. I just couldn't see how it would work. Neville has always spoken very, very well of Levy. One of the few in the media who have talked proper sense about him.

What he seems to have missed though is the fact that Levy and Spurs managed to get all these players in for very little spend relatively speaking. We spent more last summer.

Yeah, think he was in the same place I was with Levy and Mourinho when he joined. I just couldn't see how it would work. Neville has always spoken very, very well of Levy. One of the few in the media who have talked proper sense about him.

What he seems to have missed though is the fact that Levy and Spurs managed to get all these players in for very little spend relatively speaking. We spent more last summer.
I think it’s because he has a business brain too, running his own companies

Agreed. I think Lamela has carved a place for himself as an impact sub. But others are ahead of him as starters imo. A good player to have in the squad though.

Back