• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dele Alli

Maybe the lad has fallen out of love with the game. Would be a shame. I've got no doubt he has the talent to play in any side in the world personally.

No. He's saying it's Alli's job to find motivation and break his way into the first eleven, not his job to motivate the player. All he can do is give him chances.
Didn't Jose say something about Sonny the other day and 'going to the next level' and referenced players lifting their profile via social media etc but maybe that's not the way of Sonny?.. paraphrasing..think it might be in his Burnley preview press conference.

I'm suggesting that's another typical Jose indirect message for Dele?

No. He's saying it's Alli's job to find motivation and break his way into the first eleven, not his job to motivate the player. All he can do is give him chances.

I have not seen those quotes, only the one I posted above where he (Jose) talks about weird or naive social behaviour, which seemed like a dig at Dele.

Dele is 24 now (I think). He's not 18. He needs to take ownership of his career. If he leaves Spurs, it'll only be a downward step so he needs to decide - does he want to be successful or not? If so, he needs to knuckle down and start producing - his performances have been way below where they should be for 18-24 months

Oops. Attention to detail : fail.

I've never really thought of Dele as being lacking in motivation.
I do think there's some personality clash between him and Mourinho which isn't going to be readily resolved.

I don't think so. Dele was the first one Mourinho singled out with his " is it you or your brother comment" . He got a good initial response from Dele who was good in Mourinho's first few games. However as soon as Harry got injured, Dele was like a lost man looking for a role. I think we are overloaded with attacking players and one or two must surely become expendable. Unless things change quickly, and maybe he re-invents himself as a super sub, I fear Dele is the most likely casualty to help us balance the books.

I do think there's some personality clash between him and Mourinho which isn't going to be readily resolved.
It’s such a big swing from his initial status when it looked liked Mourinho had identified that he just needed to get back closer to Kane.
The comments on the doc about not training, the Deles brother comment, Fergie wanting him and something along the lines of ‘me being hard on you is a good thing as I woudnt bother if I didn’t rate you’ make me think that Jose is playing a longer game with him to prompt a change that results in a greater all round contribution. I’m a huge Dele fan and although I can see how his original role has all but disappeared from this formation I was initially concerned that Mourinho has picked him as an example to exert an authority and fear amongst the rest of team that no one is undroppable but if it is a case that he’s not doing what is asked of him in training then it’s hard to see him being here beyond Jan. To his credit he hasn’t said or done anything publically that has shown dissent so I’m hoping that he can still turn it around as I still believe he has a lot to offer.

"I have no doubts about your potential. I saw you do incredible things in incredible matches. But I always felt that you had ups and downs.

"There is a huge difference between a player who has consistency and a player who has moments. That is what makes the difference between a top, top player and a player with top potential.

"It is something to analyse yourself for you to realise why your career has been MK Dons, Tottenham, national team... bang!

"Then, when you reached the top, why do you have these little ups and downs.

"I don't know if it is to do with your lifestyle - if in one period you were an amazing professional but in another period you felt you had become a party boy.

"I have no idea - only you can know that.

"I am 56 now and yesterday I was 20. Time flies. One day I think you will regret it if you don't reach what you can reach.

"I am not expecting you to be the man of the match every game. I am not expecting you to score goals every game. I want just to tell you that you will regret it."

Far be it for me to stand up for Mourinho, but in this case I think he is calling it exactly as it is. Brilliant potential though Dele has, right now Mourinho has Kane, Son, Bale, Lucas, Bergwijn and Lamela all working their proverbial off and being part of a side that is regularly scoring three+ goals a game. It is up to Dele.

As am I. The amount of big games he won for us. Those chants of 5 mill and better than Ozil. The kid is special.

Also there is a part of me that is warming to Jose who thinks he wants to replicate his Ndombele method with Dele. I hope it works.
I love that chant
It’s the one that I think fans get behind the most in a really tribal way

Back