• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Sergio Reguilón

Those stats were measured by OPTA and reported in quite a few different news sources.

You think that the company who make a living out of measuring such data are wrong and you are right because you just think so?

I think that if you believe Dier is as fast as Mbappe, then you're more stupid than i thought.

Please explain how OPTA measured this incorrectly then.

It's is highly likely that they paid someone to do a tricky task, which they failed to do accurately. It's OPTA not NASA. Stats are notoriously erroneous. Especially when detailing something like player pace. Why for example are we talking about km/h in a country which uses mph. The degree of variance on a car's speedometer is around 5% so I'd apply a similar level to gauging a players pace. I work with people who use stats to push their agendas constantly and they're wrong too. I prefer to use sound judgement, experience, my eyes and common sense. I've never seen Dier move rapidly in 40 years of watching Spurs every game, so it's a fairly good sample.

Do you actually believe that Dier is, or even was, as fast as Reguilon or Mbappe? Or are you just being an argument taco as usual who refuses to admit he's wrong.

It's is highly likely that they paid someone to do a tricky task, which they failed to do accurately. It's OPTA not NASA. Stats are notoriously erroneous. Especially when detailing something like player pace. Why for example are we talking about km/h in a country which uses mph. The degree of variance on a car's speedometer is around 5% so I'd apply a similar level to gauging a players pace. I work with people who use stats to push their agendas constantly and they're wrong too. I prefer to use sound judgement, experience, my eyes and common sense. I've never seen Dier move rapidly in 40 years of watching Spurs every game, so it's a fairly good sample.

Do you actually believe that Dier is, or even was, as fast as Reguilon or Mbappe? Or are you just being an argument taco as usual who refuses to admit he's wrong.

He isn’t as fas as those two that’s for sure IMO
But I’ll also add that the comment around my eyes and common sense is always used when someone wants to disprove something ... I remember in here when people were saying winks never passes forwards and even when I posted his pass maps people said they were wrong as it didn’t suit their opinion...

I can understand why people think he’s slow. He’s slow on the turn, slow in changing direction and slow to accelerate. However once he gets going he’s actually pretty quick.

He played RB a lot when he first joined us, he showed good pace getting up and down the wing I seemed to remember. With recent injuries, illness and lack of fitness I think it’s taken a bit of pace away

I can understand why people think he’s slow. He’s slow on the turn, slow in changing direction and slow to accelerate. However once he gets going he’s actually pretty quick.

He played RB a lot when he first joined us, he showed good pace getting up and down the wing I seemed to remember. With recent injuries, illness and lack of fitness I think it’s taken a bit of pace away

That’s how people describe freight container ships. Unfortunately the Premier League has players who are fast.

For the record, i had no issue with Dier as a holding midfielder. I just don't believe he’s good enough in central defence. Pace is far from the only issue, which leads me to this conclusion.

That’s how people describe freight container ships. Unfortunately the Premier League has players who are fast.

For the record, i had no issue with Dier as a holding midfielder. I just don't believe he’s good enough in central defence. Pace is far from the only issue, which leads me to this conclusion.
In his early days with us he played a few games at CH and I thought then he had concentration and awareness problems. Both high up the list if you want to be a top level CH. Has he (can they be?) improved? I think his awareness has but concentration perhaps not.

Jose obviously wants it to work. He could well feel better playing at RCB, so the arrival of a dedicated LCB would help, and I think he's better in a 3 BUT playing an extra defender is pointless at the moment, as 1 our defender options are average and 2 somewhere further upfield we lose a player, an area we've got a stack of quality waiting to play.

He has to be an option as his peers aren't much better (tanganga might well turn out to be?) and that's who we are stuck with until January

Hahahaha, yep, Opta falsified stats just to prove you wrong, ROFFL, what those guys won't do for bricks and giggles

I'd imagine they use kph for two reasons
  1. They use m to divide and measure the pitch
  2. So they can compare against European leagues
I see you're relying on the old "stats are flimflam, I know what I've seen and I'll rely on my own eyes rather than some nerdy stats" argument. What's your opinion of people who tend to make that argument? I know I and most educated people have one.

Here are some pointers as to why you appear to be struggling with understanding the stats and why they're correct:
  1. You've picked the first data point that suits your preconceived opinion and stopped looking. No, Dier isn't as fast as Mbappe - he has been measured at up to 38kph in other seasons (Bale 37kph for reference) but in that season he didn't run any faster than 35kph.
  2. You've massively overestimated the number of times you'll see a CD run at full pelt in a match. King was one of the fastest CDs we've ever had, and I can probably count on one hand the number of times we've seen him really sprint like he can - probably have a couple of fingers left to type with too.
  3. Memory is fallible and so is perception. Larger players always look slower because we have an assumption that big lumps are slow and little players are nimble and fast. Most people don't think of Benteke as quick either for the same reason. When it comes to memory, the human brain is absolutely terrible as storing and recalling clean facts. Your brain will use your biases to interpret what it sees as it stores the initial viewing of an event and will often then discard and fail to recall anything that doesn't fit your biases. Even if it can recall that event, it will apply your biases as it recalls it too. That's why we rely on objective measures - to remove these biases.

I'd imagine they use kph for two reasons
  1. They use m to divide and measure the pitch
  2. So they can compare against European leagues
I see you're relying on the old "stats are flimflam, I know what I've seen and I'll rely on my own eyes rather than some nerdy stats" argument. What's your opinion of people who tend to make that argument? I know I and most educated people have one.

Here are some pointers as to why you appear to be struggling with understanding the stats and why they're correct:
  1. You've picked the first data point that suits your preconceived opinion and stopped looking. No, Dier isn't as fast as Mbappe - he has been measured at up to 38kph in other seasons (Bale 37kph for reference) but in that season he didn't run any faster than 35kph.
  2. You've massively overestimated the number of times you'll see a CD run at full pelt in a match. King was one of the fastest CDs we've ever had, and I can probably count on one hand the number of times we've seen him really sprint like he can - probably have a couple of fingers left to type with too.
  3. Memory is fallible and so is perception. Larger players always look slower because we have an assumption that big lumps are slow and little players are nimble and fast. Most people don't think of Benteke as quick either for the same reason. When it comes to memory, the human brain is absolutely terrible as storing and recalling clean facts. Your brain will use your biases to interpret what it sees as it stores the initial viewing of an event and will often then discard and fail to recall anything that doesn't fit your biases. Even if it can recall that event, it will apply your biases as it recalls it too. That's why we rely on objective measures - to remove these biases.

Thanks for your boring waffle about how fast Dier is....ok fine let’s see how the season pans out. His pace is just one of his defensive deficiencies. Given the crap you’ve spouted about Brexit, Covid and Sissoko you can take your talk of bias and stick it up your pompous arse.

Maybe we should allow the Reguilon thread to return to Reguilon. A player with genuine pace.

There's so much more to "pace" in the footballing world than just top speed. Will a player ever get up to top speed? A forward or even a full back, probably -- a CB or DM, less so. If it takes you 40 yards to lumber up to top speed, almost never. If you can turn on a sixpence then get up to speed in 20 yards, then you'll get the opportunity to record some good numbers. One thing that stuck about a particularly tosserish school PE teacher was how he'd rabbit on about Stanley Matthews being the fastest man in the world over 10 yards.

Then there's speed with the ball. I don't think of Sonny as being particularly quick, but his touch and two-footedness make him almost as quick with the ball as he is without it. Whereas Sissoko, who's pretty quick without the ball, dribbles like a physics teacher demonstrating Brownian motion and therefore slows right down.

There's also speed of thought. Reading the play, reacting to it, and so on.

Reguilon looks like the complete package -- good anticipation, great acceleration, outright pace, and the ball control to use it. I'm very excited about this one.

Thanks for your boring waffle about how fast Dier is....ok fine let’s see how the season pans out. His pace is just one of his defensive deficiencies. Given the crap you’ve spouted about Brexit, Covid and Sissoko you can take your talk of bias and stick it up your pompous arse.

Maybe we should allow the Reguilon thread to return to Reguilon. A player with genuine pace.
You see? Biases again.

You have a bias that I am pompous and condescending, so when I genuinely try and be helpful, in guiding you through use of statistics 101, you assume I'm being pompous and condescending.

So, not a fight. In Real Madrid training they are playing some throwing/catching game, Reguilon jumped across and caught Ramos on the nose, which he took exception to

Back