• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

Tbh defoe, crouch and Sheringham were past their best when they came back, it suited us but we aren't the same club now.

Leaving as a player and returning as a manager is fine (unless you're sherwood).
So you're saying Bale's best days are still ahead of him? Woohoo!

As to the others, maybe you should just checkout the facts:

Defoe:
2004-2008: PL apps 137, goals (edit) 43
2009-2014: PL apps 139, goals (edit) 47
Pretty impressive for a striker past his best, wouldn't you say?

Sheringham:
1992-1997: PL apps 166, goals 75
2001-2003: PL apps 70, goals 22
None too shabby considering his best days were behind him. Also by then, supporting Ferdinand his role was more creator/play-maker than striker.

As for Crouch, agree his best days were behind him, even so he was an important target man for us.

Last edited:

Defoe:
2004-2008: PL apps 137, goals 143
2009-2014: PL apps 139, goals 147

Sheringham:
None too shabby considering his best days were behind him. Also by then, supporting Ferdinand his role was more creator/play-maker than striker.

As for Crouch, agree his best days were behind him, even so he was an important target man for us.

I think you've added an extra 100 goals to Defoe in each of his stints havent you? Hopefully accidental typo?

https://www.premierleague.com/players/1526/Jermain-Defoe/overview

I'd take him back. Yes I think he mentally checked out of Spurs long before he eventually left, his performances told that tale, but he's still a brilliant player if motivated. Will he be motivated if he comes back is the key question.

The way I see it is that he has been very pragmatic in his career choices, Ajax to Spurs was a very sensible move, and he has now seen that a climb into the upper echelons of the European superclubs is actually beyond him then that pragmatic instinct might kick in again. IMO Spurs is his level and looks like being the high watermark for him, and I'm sure he sees that now. I think if he came back we could see him kicking into a higher gear again, especially now that the distraction of a move to RM/Barca/Bayern/etc is probably out of the picture.

Defoe:
2004-2008: PL apps 137, goals 143
2009-2014: PL apps 139, goals 147

Sheringham:

Where did I say bales best days are in front of him?
Where have even implied that?
In fact I've clearly stated I don't think it's a good idea that people held in high regard return, mainly because they seldom live up to memories.
In my honest opinion bale being out injured for a couple of weeks before he can play will only make it worse because the anticipation of his return will be ramped up.

Hope I'm wrong of course.

Where did I say bales best days are in front of him?
Where have even implied that?
In fact I've clearly stated I don't think it's a good idea that people held in high regard return, mainly because they seldom live up to memories.
In my honest opinion bale being out injured for a couple of weeks before he can play will only make it worse because the anticipation of his return will be ramped up.

Hope I'm wrong of course.
Whoah, chill! Was more meant as a light-hearted quip - obviously didn't come across like that, so apologies.

I do take the point about players seldom living up to past memories, even so I doubt too many believe the likes of Defoe and Sheringham should never have returned.

It could be more of a problem for Bale of course because of the sky-high expectation. Fingers crossed he still has enough left in the tank to help us get over the line.

Close this fread, please. Just becoming a place for silly bickering.

And we all know that if a transfer somehow ever did take place, anuvver fread could be opened in a heartbeat.

Whoah, chill! Was more meant as a light-hearted quip - obviously didn't come across like that, so apologies.

I do take the point about players seldom living up to past memories, even so I doubt too many believe the likes of Defoe and Sheringham should never have returned.

It could be more of a problem for Bale of course because of the sky-high expectation. Fingers crossed he still has enough left in the tank to help us get over the line.

No worries, no offence taken. obviously my reply in retrospect seems a tad heavy handed but isn't meant to be either.
In my defence I had just returned from a few beers, vinos and a curry, so it's either that or the shock of having to be home by 10.00.

I'd take him back. Yes I think he mentally checked out of Spurs long before he eventually left, his performances told that tale, but he's still a brilliant player if motivated. Will he be motivated if he comes back is the key question.

The way I see it is that he has been very pragmatic in his career choices, Ajax to Spurs was a very sensible move, and he has now seen that a climb into the upper echelons of the European superclubs is actually beyond him then that pragmatic instinct might kick in again. IMO Spurs is his level and looks like being the high watermark for him, and I'm sure he sees that now. I think if he came back we could see him kicking into a higher gear again, especially now that the distraction of a move to RM/Barca/Bayern/etc is probably out of the picture.

I think he would come back, a chance to play with that front 3 would be hard to turn down.

Already shown he’ll crumble when it matters, would be a waste of time and money.

He had his chance.

Loved him when he was here but I don’t think he has what it takes to get us to the next level and the way he left leaves a sour taste. We don’t need him.

In terms of glorious returns, why has no one mentioned Pleaty’s favourite - Pascal Shimbomba?

Not too sure of that?

He's not the player he was. He's struggled to do anything at Milan and he was poor here for the last 12 months at least. Seems like a Sanchez/Shevchenko-like decline to me. Plus, he's a bit wishy washy - not exactly the type you want in the trenches with you.

I may have this post thrown in my face if he rediscovers his form and wins a bunch of trophies but his best days are behind him in my view.

It would be an embarrassment for all concerned if we even discuss with Eriksen the possibility of him returning.

He's not the player that was our main cog years aback and we are also not the same.

OK you win let's get 'a Grealish':cool:
Who does?

PS Winks does probably.
If you think we should re sign Eriksen that’s fine and I’m sure you could make an argument for it, it’s not unreasonable to suggest he wouldn’t fit into our formation or isn’t the player that we all loved a couple of seasons back. Jose did make overtures for him to commit and still used him sparingly when his heart wasn’t in it. We know you don’t like Mourinho and there will probably be a a point in time where he will be under some pressure to keep his job but it shouldn’t cloud your enjoyment of all things Spurs or influence so many of your posts. I say this as someone who usually enjoys your musings on here but it really feels like you are being OTT with negativity recently.

If you think we should re sign Eriksen that’s fine and I’m sure you could make an argument for it, it’s not unreasonable to suggest he wouldn’t fit into our formation or isn’t the player that we all loved a couple of seasons back. Jose did make overtures for him to commit and still used him sparingly when his heart wasn’t in it. We know you don’t like Mourinho and there will probably be a a point in time where he will be under some pressure to keep his job but it shouldn’t cloud your enjoyment of all things Spurs or influence so many of your posts. I say this as someone who usually enjoys your musings on here but it really feels like you are being OTT with negativity recently.

Eriksen - He's apparently cheap and can do the job as we know, nothing more.

Jose is 'Mr Negative' tactically and it rubs off on me

His safety-first slow buildup does my head in.

Shame we can't play numpties like Soton in the second half every week. The first half was meh from us, mind.

Back