• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Tottenham v Shkendija

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I thought he was trying again but he was getting pelters on some social media
He was better IMO than lamela who is so slow and wasteful even after scoring

He wasn't better than Lamela but he was ok. It wasn't a game that suited him because he needs someone to play off.

Before kickoff, I was interested to see if he'd be in a midfield three but given how defensive they were, they'd be no point having an extra man there.

What is a 'gifted reader of the game'? Isn't that mainly in your head, something you can learn?

Not sure. There are some who just naturally see things others can't and who overall map the game out -both in terms of flow and passage- with rare vision. Ledley was amazing.

Whilst the groupings make relative sense, when I think of top 6 players I think would anther member of the top 6 want that player from us.
Toby who I love but is looking vulnerable, Moura you can see being attractive as a low maintenance bench option but not a starter and Dele only if you were prepared to set up your team to suit him. Aurier, Sanchez and Lamela I just don’t see it and if they were all to go this window they’d all be taking a step down from a top 6 prem club (in terms of competition for places rather than opening any debates about club stature in other leagues)

I think another genuine concern right now is to have a squad that can handle a few positive covid19 tests. What a strange consideration eh?'

He wasn't better than Lamela but he was ok. It wasn't a game that suited him because he needs someone to play off.

Before kickoff, I was interested to see if he'd be in a midfield three but given how defensive they were, they'd be no point having an extra man there.

Is there a more damming statement about a player than that? Lamela commitment and effort cant be denied but his passing or lack of passing slows down movement and makes it virtually impossible to play a forward moving 1-2 with him.

But then he goes in hard defending up the pitch and leaves a mark and Jose loves him for being that sort dog of war. Poch too.
Greaaat a defensive AM. That's the sort of thing Liverpool used to say about Kuyt.

It is a positive that he puts his body in, it is great that we can rely on him to work but and it's a big but his primary purpose is to create and secondarily to maybe score and he is rather poor at those things.

He's not a player I'd be in any sort of rush to get rid of as he's now primary skills of tackling and fouling are valuable besides I doubt we'd much interest or a good fee for him but let's not pretend that he has sadly failed at what he was supposed to do in his time here.

I just wish he would get his head up and pass sooner that would make a lot of difference to his effectiveness.

Is there a more damming statement about a player than that? Lamela commitment and effort cant be denied but his passing or lack of passing slows down movement and makes it virtually impossible to play a forward moving 1-2 with him.

I don't think that Lamela's passing was an issue last night. I think that he used the ball well and was one of our more creative players.

I think that the problem is that too many of our players seem scared to risk something or stamp their authority on the game. Whatever their faults, Lamela, Aurier and Ndombele were the exceptions to this from our starters. Son finished the game well but really only perked up once Kane came on.

Son was played out of position to make way for a totally ineffective Bergwyn. I really dont see why we bought him when we had other players in that position and a pressing need for players in other positions. When Harry came on, we had the focal point in our attack we had been missing. We desperately need another CF in our squad.

I missed out first goal
But once online I just saw lamella being a crab again taking 4 touches and going sideways
I honestly thought dele looked better than him as he was passing towards although they didn’t come off

Son was played out of position to make way for a totally ineffective Bergwyn. I really dont see why we bought him when we had other players in that position and a pressing need for players in other positions. When Harry came on, we had the focal point in our attack we had been missing. We desperately need another CF in our squad.
I’d say because he is better than those players in that position
He didn’t have a good game though I’d agree

I'm pretty sure that I've seen quotes from Jose or others at the club that we hadnt planned to bring in a winger/wide forward during the Jan window however Bergwijn was on our radar as a decent young player with potential and therefore given he became available at a sensible price, we thought it made sense to buy him.

If you look at where we now are, with a front 3 of Bale-Kane-Son I would have Bergwijn is first choice replacement in the two wide roles though Jose seems to prefer Moura. Either way, he'll get a decent number of games and is vaguely similar to Bale and Son in terms of style so a sensible back-up as we won't need to change style. Like Moura (and Lamela too to be fair) he also seems to be a decent character rather than disruptive when not playing. I'm not sure that we need all three of those though and given Jose's comments about size of squad plus all 3 being non HG, it would make sense to me to move one of them on this window. Given I think Lamela is vastly over-rated, personally I'd shift him though he does polarise opinions and accept he works hard.

We do desperately need another CF though

So weird! You'd think a team that has made it to the CL for the past few years wouldn't need to waste energy playing these farmer teams.
The travel aside, we have such a big squad and so little of a pre-season that we need the games to get players match fit and weed out the ones who aren't cutting it. So not necessarily a bad thing. The last game didn't seem to affect our PL performance (well, OK, that first half against Soton was crap), so here's hoping the same against the Toon.

I don't think that Lamela's passing was an issue last night. I think that he used the ball well and was one of our more creative players.

His problem is the passes he doesn't make due to his inability to use his right foot, instead of moving forward he goes across the field slowing the attack and limiting our options, his work rate and tackling are good and he often wins possession but it's so frustrating seeing players in good positions not get the ball from him due to his limitations.

His problem is the passes he doesn't make due to his inability to use his right foot, instead of moving forward he goes across the field slowing the attack and limiting our options, his work rate and tackling are good and he often wins possession but it's so frustrating seeing players in good positions not get the ball from him due to his limitations.
It’s like watching a crab
He looks up, sees the pass, realises he can’t make it with his right foot (he scored with his right) so runs across the pitch taking 6 touches and the plays it to the left. It’s like watching Zoolander
The guy can play and world IMO harder than anyone, but he slows down everything with the one footedness

Not sure. There are some who just naturally see things others can't and who overall map the game out -both in terms of flow and passage- with rare vision. Ledley was amazing.
Everyone can learn to read the game as it goes. What sets out those with an exceptional ability to read the game, is that they are able to anticipate what's going to happen before it does, and also be proactive instead of reacting only to what happening in the moment it happens.

Back