• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Fully fit and firing starting 11 and formation?

I havent seen anything which suggests that Ndombele has to play, *yet*. Next 9 games are huge for us so I'd pick Sissoko ahead of TN. If we get to the point where we cant make the CL, then sure, play TN so that he acclimatises more. But at the moment, its results which count
Keep Ndombele as a sub. Gradually give him more minutes if he's producing.

Problem with that, is if we see the Ndombele who does sod all, yanking him off after 10 minutes does nothing for nobody.

If he's doing sod all, he shouldn't make the bench for the next game. I had in mind an effective Ndombele who fades after 60 minutes.

Lloris
Doherty/Tanganga...CH/Dier...CH/Alderweireld...Reguilón/Davies
Lucas/Højbjerg...Lo Celso/Ndombele...Sissoko/Winks
Son/Lamela...Kane/CF...Bale/Bergwijn​

With the available players this is how I'd set up my 23 man squad (Tangana a utility catch all cover for the back 4 positions)

Lloris
Alderweireld Sanchez
Doherty‐‐------------------------------Regulion
Ndombele Hojberg Lo Celso
Bale Kane Son​

Hart
Dier Davies
Aurier---------------------------Sessegnon
Moura Winks Sissoko
Bergwijn Alli Lamela

I'm a bit of an Ossie Ardiles, so I'd go;

Lloris
Doherty - Alwerweireld - Sanchez (or new CB) - Reguilon
Højbjerg - Lo Celso
N'Dombele
Bale - Kane - Son

It probably would be way too offensive though, so probably something like this would be better:

Lloris
Doherty - Alwerweireld - Sanchez (or new CB) - Dier (or new CB) - Reguilon
Højbjerg
N'Dombele - Lo Celso
Bale - Kane

But I don't know. I think you could have Lo Celso in a more defensive minded role than N'Dombele say, but have Højbjerg basically just doing the destructive defensive work, he doesn't really have to do anything offensively. He could just hang out with the CB's for all I care, but shield them as much as he can from midfield. N'Dombele could be free to roam more as he wish, we don't necessarily need him to rush back at every opportunity as we'd have 5 defenders and Lo Celso and Højbjerg to be the first line of defense - the he could just jog back and be read for when we regain possession, get into position, get the ball from whoever finds him, do his thing, and Bale would be through on goal again - easy!

Posted this in another thread too. For me, i think we are crying out for this (and am basing it on players we have as opposed to hoping for another signing at CB for example):

3-4-3 that adapts to several situations, flat back 4 if needed with Dier stepping out and Doherty and Reguilon dropping back. Similarly you can flex to 4-4-2 if needed with Bale or Son up with Kane, Lo Celso can move wide, or obvs just make a sub! but ultimately think this team would pose the biggest threat to opposing teams.

.....................LLoris......................
............Sanchez....Dier.....Toby................
Doherty..........................................Reguilon
............Hojberg..........Lo Celso.......
Bale......................................Son
.....................Kane.......................

Posted this in another thread too. For me, i think we are crying out for this (and am basing it on players we have as opposed to hoping for another signing at CB for example):

3-4-3 that adapts to several situations, flat back 4 if needed with Dier stepping out and Doherty and Reguilon dropping back. Similarly you can flex to 4-4-2 if needed with Bale or Son up with Kane, Lo Celso can move wide, or obvs just make a sub! but ultimately think this team would pose the biggest threat to opposing teams.

.....................LLoris......................
............Sanchez....Dier.....Toby................
Doherty..........................................Reguilon
............Hojberg..........Lo Celso.......
Bale......................................Son
.....................Kane.......................

1000000%

We can't defend properly, two at the back (especially if one is Dier) will concede. He lost Calvert-Lewin last week for a header, he lost Ings this week on the turn. Having 3 at the back in theory shouldn't be needed if you have decent defenders, but as we don't, has to be the only option.

But offensively, that team looks tasty and can attack down either wing. Currently every man and his dog knows we attack down the right primarily.

We can't defend properly, two at the back (especially if one is Dier) will concede. He lost Calvert-Lewin last week for a header, he lost Ings this week on the turn. Having 3 at the back in theory shouldn't be needed if you have decent defenders, but as we don't, has to be the only option.

But offensively, that team looks tasty and can attack down either wing. Currently every man and his dog knows we attack down the right primarily.
It was Tony who lost his man... Dier was with Keane
Just saying!!n

When was the last clean sheet we had with Dier playing CB? West Ham last season?

Not disagreeing, but take a look at the below (it's off reddit, so don't have source)

- Now, some of it is BS, as some really good defenders right in the middle
- But it does highlight we pretty much suck at winning stuff in the air defensively (which would show up in a weakness at set pieces, which I think we are seeing)

r7ap14l6vpo51.jpg

Not disagreeing, but take a look at the below (it's off reddit, so don't have source)

- Now, some of it is BS, as some really good defenders right in the middle
- But it does highlight we pretty much suck at winning stuff in the air defensively (which would show up in a weakness at set pieces, which I think we are seeing)

r7ap14l6vpo51.jpg

I agree it’s a problem which more and more teams will likely look to expose, just as teams had joy against Emirates Marketing Project from set pieces. They conceded a disproportionate amount of goals from set pieces.

I think it needs to be Toby + 1 other. Sanchez for his pace would get my vote. I’m not a fan of Sanchez but he was excellent in his first season for us. I don’t think he will ever good on the ball but if he improves his decision making it’s not impossible to become a decent defender. I still think we need a new CB now with a plan to slowly phase Toby out in 12-18 months.

Looks good!! However:
- no way are we signing two first choice CBs this summer
- I'm not sure how our HG vs NHG totals work with that squad. I think we'd need to offload one or two - Aurier certainly....but then to balance the books we'd probably need to sell Dele. Lamela could go...but would we get any takers?

Looks good!! However:
- I'm not sure how our HG vs NHG totals work with that squad. I think we'd need to offload one or two - Aurier certainly....but then to balance the books we'd probably need to sell Dele. Lamela could go...but would we get any takers?

Rose, Aurier, Foyth, Gazza go, that's 3 spots

Lamela would get takers in Italy, but my understanding is the player has no interest at all in leaving, and Jose likes him

Re CBs, agree not two top level, I'd say it's Dias or Skrinier, at a stretch (if the price is right) plus Kim

Looks good!! However:
I agree. No way we’re getting those 2!

I think the best chance we have of funds coming in is to shift:-
Gazzaniga
Foyth
Lucas or Lamela
Loan fee for Sessennon
And then a few pennies for CCV and Rose.

We can shift all of those without losing two players per position.

If we sell Dele or Aurier, we then need to replace them - without sticking square pegs in round bum holes. So I’d rather keep them on that basis.

Back