• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dele Alli

He's a very talented player, but let's all be honest

- How many dozen "British" talents have we seen storm the PL for a couple of seasons in late teens, early 20's and then fail to live up to potential?

His goal should be to be remembered as the Gerrard/Lampard/Scholes of this generation, based on the last season and a bit, not going to happen.

Personally I think Jose is trying to give a kick up the ass .. let's see how he plays on Tuesday (type of game he should be able to completely dominate).

Tuesday will be very key now

He is an insane talent and absolutely can work in any system. Whatever he is going through I hope the club invest in him after what he has done for the club on the pitch years gone.

i agree with you about being a great talent and he did show that talent when he first came here, as for being able to work in any system that is the part i am not sure about. he has struggled to show that so far (imo) and to be honest i am not sure he can. I hope so though but we shall see.

It says nothing really
Just dele was given no explanation. And that no player was
And that he will be hard to sell

It'd be nice to not quote or link to this Athletic scribbler. He's an ardent Arsewiper - former editor of a fanzine and malicious twit while at the Telegraph - and often resorts to sly, subtle tactics to stir up negative comments about Spurs from readers. I don't want a cheerleader reporting on Spurs over there but, even more, don't want someone on the beat whose motives are suspect.

who
It'd be nice to not quote or link to this Athletic scribbler. He's an ardent Arsewiper - former editor of a fanzine and malicious twit while at the Telegraph - and often resorts to sly, subtle tactics to stir up negative comments about Spurs from readers. I don't want a cheerleader reporting on Spurs over there but, even more, don't want someone on the beat whose motives are suspect.

Who are we referring to here? I listen to the View from the Lane podcast and find it pretty decent tbh.

who

Who are we referring to here? I listen to the View from the Lane podcast and find it pretty decent tbh.
David Ornstein
He was a big arsenal correspondent and he now is fronting up daily chat on the athletic
We have Charlie Eccleshare and James Maw who is a spurs fan
And Jack Pitt-Brooke who is Emirates Marketing Project but a spurs correspondent for a long time

Last edited:
You don't explicitly need pace to make a success of the role I'm talking about - timing of runs is the key and is what he excelled at when making his name for us. I've already responded to the second part.

Kane dropping off, two of Bale/Son/Alli making runs and Doherty/Regulion stretching the defense

I think the problem is he doesn't seem to be making those runs anymore or if he is then defenders have worked out how to play against him.

Obviously has talent but he's had 2 poor seasons in a row now, yes some injuries and games out of position but he's been on a downward trend for a while now and if he's not scoring then he doesn't contrbute much else to our play and we can't carry players if the game is passing them by.

I hope he can rediscover his form but players need to earn their place, on this board we always say things are too cosy and the players need a kick up the ass and this is one of them so we shouldn't be complaining when it happens.

who

Eckleshair. Total fcukin' arsewiper. Took the tinkle on Spurs routinely at the Telegraph. Ran a Popguns fan zine before that. You can't rehabilitate someone like that. Can you imagine an ardent Spurs fan doing the arsenal beat reporting? They'd go apeschit.

He has to behave himself because his editor, Alex Kay-Jelski, is said to be a Spurs fan. But every now and then he runs these cute little articles that invite negative comments about Spurs and it generates hits and comments.

I actually think he might do well rotating in and out the side. His Achilles Heel is his lack of power. He lacks some raw pace and muscle. And I don't think he can play at his peak always.

When he was doing amazing things for us under Poch he'd often frustrate all game, but then pull out some magic. He's a player who can come on and make a difference. But Mourinho won't give freedom to loose possession.

I actually think he's a tiny bit similar to LeCelo in temperament, and they could rotate. They both try to make things happen. Have a great touch and a creative brain. Maybe finishing and final ball can improve. But when it clicks, their creativity looks golden.

If someone would pay up for Dele - sell and strengthen elsewhere sadly makes sense. If not he'll probably an invaluable member of the squad. Its a long season, we will need players to peak at different times.

I watched the first episode of the Spurs programme on Amazon last night..

At Mourinho's first training session he described Dele as lazy, a poor trainer and slow....

If I'd watched it a month ago I might not have thought too much about it but given recent events I think Jose has made a decision.. He's now had 10 months of watching Dele and once you get that thought in your head the slightest thing Dele does wrong will be exaggerated in Jose's mind..

It's a shame but, as long as we get a decent price, I see no way back for him..

COYS

No one plays with a number 10 anymore. The pressing game and use of deep lying midfielders has negated their advantage.

The best thing for Dele to do is to take an afternoon watching videos of his hero Steven Gerrard, and remodel himself as that sort of all action, box to box midfielder.

He played CM for MK Dons and he started in a two with Eric Dier for us under Poch. He could be amazing in that role. Just needs to get his head around it. We can’t carry a fluffy number 10 who floats in and out of games and plays in flashes when it’s a nice day only.

Didn’t Alli tweet years ago about not wanting to play for Jose? Personally Jose should be over that but I wouldn’t be surprised if he hasn’t forgotten it.

I’d rather we didn’t sell Alli, BUT, he hasn’t kicked on since 2016/17. He needs a big kick up the arse. Should have happened under Poch tbh but he was very loyal to players, too loyal in some cases IMO. Assuming he’s not sold, it’s up to Alli to improve and adapt. If he does that and works hard then I’d love him to stay. Something isn’t right though, his progression has stalled for years and multiple managers. Don’t know if it’s his fault or our fault or a bit of both.

Still think Poch should have dropped him for the CL final. Can understand wanting to shoehorn Kane back into the team but why it was at Moura’s expense and not Alli’s I’ll never know.

I might be in the minority, but I've always felt - even at Dele's peak - that outside of his excellent movement, he doesn't have many traits that are consistently very good. He does every so often show great touches or moments of flair, but I think they're outnumbered by poor touches or failed dribble attempts. And he does have decent vision for throughballs, but don't think he has outstanding execution, particularly over longer distances. And he's never had consistently good shooting IMO.

I don't think he needs a kick up the arse, has let the success fo to his head etc - I just think he had one fantastic season at a very young age becuase of his precocious footballing intelligence + playing in a system that was perfect for him, and since then has been suffering from a less perfect system and a club that has been going through a period of stagnation / backward momentum.

He definitely has a place in my heart, but I think it's best for everyone that he moves on if we're going to play a system with two wide forwards (which it seems certain we are).

Didn’t Alli tweet years ago about not wanting to play for Jose? Personally Jose should be over that but I wouldn’t be surprised if he hasn’t forgotten it.

I’d rather we didn’t sell Alli, BUT, he hasn’t kicked on since 2016/17. He needs a big kick up the arse. Should have happened under Poch tbh but he was very loyal to players, too loyal in some cases IMO. Assuming he’s not sold, it’s up to Alli to improve and adapt. If he does that and works hard then I’d love him to stay. Something isn’t right though, his progression has stalled for years and multiple managers. Don’t know if it’s his fault or our fault or a bit of both.

Still think Poch should have dropped him for the CL final. Can understand wanting to shoehorn Kane back into the team but why it was at Moura’s expense and not Alli’s I’ll never know.

Absolutely agree re the last bolded bit, and i actually put Son in the bracket at that time as well..

yeah, I wasn't comparing positions, just runs of form

that Alli has been brick (by his own standards) over the last 18 months won't deter anyone as his previous performances were so good

Back