• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

That was my initial assumption, but we've not really used Kane successfully as a target man to date. We've tried, whether by design or panic, to use him that way but I haven't seen it work particularly well.
Kane isn't really a traditional Mourinho target man either imo. He's fairly big and fairly strong by PL standards, but up against most PL defenders he'll lose out more often than he wins in a fair aerial battle.

Even more reasons to think we'll sign a target man option imo. Sure we can set up to play without one in our squad, it's perfectly possible to play without a traditional target man. I think Mourinho wants that option though.

And given that we rely quite a bit on players that are average at best on the ball building from the back, making us far from press resistent, I think it would be a very useful option to have.

I think he just wanted Kane to get well deserved credit. I mean, if course Son gets the motm having scored four goals. Kane was better though.

I agree, just seemed a bit needless to interrupt a Son interview to say that (given that he had many other opportunties to make the point) - so just came across to me as deliberately undermining Son!

Anyway not a huge deal either way.

Not sure I was too happy with him interrupting the Son interview to say Kane should have got MOTM. Yes we know it was nip and tuck but dont spoil the lads moment
He interrupted the Kane interview as well.

I can understand his sentiment but what's the point? Everyone appears happy post match....just leave it there. And of course, with Jose, nothing is rarely said without calculation.

He interrupted the Kane interview as well.

I can understand his sentiment but what's the point? Everyone appears happy post match....just leave it there. And of course, with Jose, nothing is rarely said without calculation.
Well if we're speculating about calculations and intensions maybe he thought that Son had a rather average game apart from the goals while Kane had a very good game including the goal and assists.

Mourinho frequently talks about the impact Kane has in addition to his goalscoring. That is very important.

Well if we're speculating about calculations and intensions maybe he thought that Son had a rather average game apart from the goals while Kane had a very good game including the goal and assists.

Mourinho frequently talks about the impact Kane has in addition to his goalscoring. That is very important.
When Kane and Sonny were interviewed together they appeared happy as larry with each other and respectful of each others contribution whichever way round it's served up. They're buzzing and there's some good harmony built with what's just gone down. No edge needs taking off that, especially 20 mins after the final whistle. That's exactly what Sonny c.ould of felt.

We all know Kane can contribute amazing passes for assists. It's important you say? ...That he does it? That the world knows? That you let your secondary striker know on live TV after he's feeling good about scoring 4 goals?...what's the point?

How about arms around both of them 'you were fantastic today' ' both of you amazing'?

So you plan for us to find a player who is good enough to be better at CF than Bale/Son, lacking enough in ambition to sit on the bench and wait for a guaranteed starter not to start and cheap enough that we could afford their wages despite them not being first choice.

Can I have some of that unicorn juice please?

I think you’re missing the point. Whoever plays in Kane’s absence is a downgrade unless we sign Lewandowski. That’s a given and something that just cannot be avoided, even bale and son aren’t as good at CF as Kane. But by moving Son or Bale to CF then whoever replaces them isn’t as good as either one of them, hence weaker in two positions instead of one. Because despite what upsides Moura, Lamela, Alli and Bergwijn have none of them are in the same league as Son or Bale.

Given how many injuries Kane has sustained in his career it’s not being pessimistic to believe he’s due one at some point this campaign. I suppose it depends on your outlook but me personally I’d rather be weaker in one position in the team than two.

When Kane and Sonny were interviewed together they appeared happy as larry with each other and respectful of each others contribution whichever way round it's served up. They're buzzing and there's some good harmony built with what's just gone down. No edge needs taking off that, especially 20 mins after the final whistle. That's exactly what Sonny c.ould of felt.

We all know Kane can contribute amazing passes for assists. It's important you say? ...That he does it? That the world knows? That you let your secondary striker know on live TV after he's feeling good about scoring 4 goals?...what's the point?

How about arms around both of them 'you were fantastic today' ' both of you amazing'?

He's abrasive .. let's not pretend otherwise .. and most of us don't like that .. however ..

- Obviously took him just moments to realize the mental weakness of this side
- A lot of his ex players still have lots of respect for him
- The camera personality from all reports is different to the off camera personality (not sure if the message was for Son or others)

Jose won't be a smooth ride ...

I think you’re missing the point. Whoever plays in Kane’s absence is a downgrade unless we sign Lewandowski. That’s a given and something that just cannot be avoided, even bale and son aren’t as good at CF as Kane. But by moving Son or Bale to CF then whoever replaces them isn’t as good as either one of them, hence weaker in two positions instead of one. Because despite what upsides Moura, Lamela, Alli and Bergwijn have none of them are in the same league as Son or Bale.

Given how many injuries Kane has sustained in his career it’s not being pessimistic to believe he’s due one at some point this campaign. I suppose it depends on your outlook but me personally I’d rather be weaker in one position in the team than two.

Surely the question is, is the gap between Son and Bergwijn less than Kane and the second choice striker? If it is, this is the less damaging selection.

I don't think that this is how Mourinho is thinking about it though. I think that he wants a target man to play off and doesn't want to adapt tactics to play with a false 9.

He's abrasive .. let's not pretend otherwise .. and most of us don't like that .. however ..

- Obviously took him just moments to realize the mental weakness of this side
- A lot of his ex players still have lots of respect for him
- The camera personality from all reports is different to the off camera personality (not sure if the message was for Son or others)

Jose won't be a smooth ride ...
Agree with that and mostly Jose doesn't bother me (except when it really does fall apart and he goes completely nuts, but hey thats other clubs that have suffered that...yet to come for us:)).

My point was, there should be no message......it was clearly a beautiful TWO man show. The End.

It made me cringe a bit as well. But Jose is good with pushing people's buttons. Better than I'll ever be. If we're into the calculated move territory...

The only frustration I have with Sonny is that he frequently picks the wrong options (v Everton he picks Alli instead of Kane) or is very selfish (our third goal in the 3-1 v Chelsea at their dump a few years back). He's a wonderful player but can be greedy. Jose stressed yesterday that Kane was man of the match for his team performance. I'd speculate that he's sending a message to Sonny to say, "you can score all you want but the team comes first. Always".

Just to play devils advocate. I think this conversation used to go 'but if Kane is out and Sonny steps in we weaken two positions?' Well, if someone was to reply to you back then 'if Sonny fills in for Kane, i think he is better than any back-up striker that is willing to come, and i'll buy you Gareth Bale to fill in for Sonny' .....you'd still say we are weakening two positions, as above....not sure how that adds up?

In a fluid front 3 losing 1 player to injury and shuffling things about thereafter doesn't mean you're weakening two positions.

Just to play devils advocate. I think this conversation used to go 'but if Kane is out and Sonny steps in we weaken two positions?' Well, if someone was to reply to you back then 'if Sonny fills in for Kane, i think he is better than any back-up striker that is willing to come, and i'll buy you Gareth Bale to fill in for Sonny' .....you'd still say we are weakening two positions, as above....not sure how that adds up?

I take your point. And yes Bale is a more than satisfactory replacement for Kane. I’d just rather we have another striker to slot into Kane’s position which means you don’t need to disrupt the other forwards to accommodate.

It made me cringe a bit as well. But Jose is good with pushing people's buttons. Better than I'll ever be. If we're into the calculated move territory...

The only frustration I have with Sonny is that he frequently picks the wrong options (v Everton he picks Alli instead of Kane) or is very selfish (our third goal in the 3-1 v Chelsea at their dump a few years back). He's a wonderful player but can be greedy. Jose stressed yesterday that Kane was man of the match for his team performance. I'd speculate that he's sending a message to Sonny to say, "you can score all you want but the team comes first. Always".

This would make sense if we were talking about Poch and his organic approach to team play and team building.

But we're not, we're talking about the polar opposite here in a manager that generally is all about the result and doesn't care about how it comes about. The same guy who will throw his hands up about not being able to do anything when he had two key injuries (Harry and Son) last season and who seemingly if he doesn't have a number 9 to hook the ball to in the absence of the ability to get his attacking players in space if the opposition doesn't play a high line does not know what to do.

And remember after that Villa game back in February/March when Son scored a last-minute winner he mentioned he wasn't happy with the chances Son had missed....man what IS he happy with??

Just comes across as a combination of always wanting to be in the limelight and a bit schizoid. Just hope he doesn't make them all think he's deranged before too long...

I take your point. And yes Bale is a more than satisfactory replacement for Kane. I’d just rather we have another striker to slot into Kane’s position which means you don’t need to disrupt the other forwards to accommodate.

Fluidity in the squad is good, but it's also a benefit to not always HAVE to change shape just because one person is injured etc

To play devil’s advocate to your devil’s advocate...technically in this scenario the only way to NOT weaken two positions, is to buy someone better than Bale/Son and have them sit on the bench for when Kane gets injured...yeah that doesn’t add up either. Nor do I know if what I just did was devil’s advocate or not...my head hurts

This would make sense if we were talking about Poch and his organic approach to team play and team building.

But we're not, we're talking about the polar opposite here in a manager that generally is all about the result and doesn't care about how it comes about. The same guy who will throw his hands up about not being able to do anything when he had two key injuries (Harry and Son) last season and who seemingly if he doesn't have a number 9 to hook the ball to in the absence of the ability to get his attacking players in space if the opposition doesn't play a high line does not know what to do.

And remember after that Villa game back in February/March when Son scored a last-minute winner he mentioned he wasn't happy with the chances Son had missed....man what IS he happy with??

Just comes across as a combination of always wanting to be in the limelight and a bit schizoid. Just hope he doesn't make them all think he's deranged before too long...

The bit in bold will happen at some stage. We know how this ends...the only unknown is what will be in our trophy cabinet when it happens.

You are absolutely right of course...Jose is about winning and only winning. But getting Son to think about the team will help him do that. Next time it's a tight game and Son is bearing down on goal with options, he might consider using one of those options rather than going for glory. It's not about building a team for Jose the way it was for Poch, it's about playing as a team because that's the best way to get a result.

The bit in bold will happen at some stage. We know how this ends...the only unknown is what will be in our trophy cabinet when it happens.

You are absolutely right of course...Jose is about winning and only winning. But getting Son to think about the team will help him do that. Next time it's a tight game and Son is bearing down on goal with options, he might consider using one of those options rather than going for glory. It's not about building a team for Jose the way it was for Poch, it's about playing as a team because that's the best way to get a result.

But were we not playing as a team anyway? Did Sonny not do what he was coached to do as in hang on the last defender and run in behind?
There were times he was through and passed into the box (certainly in the case of one for Moura which the defender just beat him to).
So it's not like he was purely being selfish or anything.

We were playing to a specific plan the the manager coached them to do. If at least two of those goals he scored Son was in a position to pass for a tap-in but instead shot, i'd understanmd it. But Son was in 1:1 all times with no-one else with him to pass to anyway.

If we were playing Pep style of football i'd maybe understand it.

GHod help Kane when he gets his scoring boots on!:eek:

Back