• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

The government was in charge of a system which processed around circa 80,000 tests a day on average over the past weeks. It’s nowhere near the numbers they are claiming. Look behind their bluster.

There performance on covid has been awful. I can allow a pass for being slow out the box, but how did they not realise that kids going back to school would lead to a spike in tests. Surely some of them have school age children, or does nanny deal with all that.

There performance on covid has been awful. I can allow a pass for being slow out the box, but how did they not realise that kids going back to school would lead to a spike in tests. Surely some of them have school age children, or does nanny deal with all that.

We're agreeing again, it must be end of days.

The increase in testing was obvious, schools, uni's, opening up the economy. Absolutely shameful they roostered up this badly again. Will be a national lockdown in all but name.

I've said it before, this government is the worst. I didn't like Cameron et al, but the government had purpose, function, direction. This is just tinkling out into the wind and shouldn't be accepted.

We're agreeing again, it must be end of days.

The increase in testing was obvious, schools, uni's, opening up the economy. Absolutely shameful they roostered up this badly again. Will be a national lockdown in all but name.

I've said it before, this government is the worst. I didn't like Cameron et al, but the government had purpose, function, direction. This is just tinkling out into the wind and shouldn't be accepted.

Bliar and Camerin both cnuts but both worked hard. Johnson is a chancer.

What makes any of you think that this government is sufficiently competent to deal with any issue going forward?

They can't. They're useless. But as long as they deliver the unicorn that is Brexit, the majority of this country will give them a free pass for absolutely anything. Polling alone, in any normal year this government would be at 5%. But as long as Brexit is around, they'll be supported to the hilt. Hell, even after they will too, as long as the Press Barons get their way.

Keeping them as a stop-gap until something else comes in its place is accepted wisdom in climate circles. The horrendous toxic waste it produces as of now is the lesser of two evils in terms of power production. We need to deal with the main problem first, which is carbon into the atmosphere and nuclear is a very low carbon alternative.

My opinion on the way things will ultimately pan out in this part of the world (with the right political will) is that offshore and on-land wind will continue to ramp up, domestic solar will eventually take up about 1/4 of the demand, domestic storage will drive down the stress on the grid, new grid wide storage systems will come online, whether batteries or something else and occasionally they'll crank up the old nuclear power stations when there is no wind anywhere in the middle of the night and everyone's batteries are dead. This sounds like a fantasy but we are actually on the path to this scenario now in some 1st world countries.

I agree to an extent but onshore wind in the UK is a little like housing in that most people agree it's needed but as soon as any proposals are raised to build it anywhere near them everyone is up in arms in protest. This is exactly what's happened in Germany where there's massive resistance to onshore wind when it comes near where people are living.

I think SMR's could feature in the future, particuarly if they can get a design that can be built in a factory working. We have a lot of high quality engineering experience that could make this a reality both here and also for exporting - I see Rolls Royce are looking at this though I don't know if Covid has put their investment plans on hold (https://www.nuclearsectorjobs.co.uk...e_plans_mini-nuclear_reactors_for_uk_by_2029/).

Overall I hope the UK gets a move on, the change needs to happen and being early is not only great for the UK but there could be significant opportunity to get ahead of the game and export much of this technology and IP. Realistically we're never going to compete on manufacuring cheap items at scale with the far east but high end manufacturing and engineering is most definitely an area we can be a leader in - these would be high paying jobs too.

We should invest much more in science/engineering generally for these areas. The government should be stepping up and making these courses at uni more attractive with grants or some other means so we can rapidly build up the workforce in these areas.

I agree to an extent but onshore wind in the UK is a little like housing in that most people agree it's needed but as soon as any proposals are raised to build it anywhere near them everyone is up in arms in protest. This is exactly what's happened in Germany where there's massive resistance to onshore wind when it comes near where people are living.

I think SMR's could feature in the future, particuarly if they can get a design that can be built in a factory working. We have a lot of high quality engineering experience that could make this a reality both here and also for exporting - I see Rolls Royce are looking at this though I don't know if Covid has put their investment plans on hold (https://www.nuclearsectorjobs.co.uk...e_plans_mini-nuclear_reactors_for_uk_by_2029/).

Overall I hope the UK gets a move on, the change needs to happen and being early is not only great for the UK but there could be significant opportunity to get ahead of the game and export much of this technology and IP. Realistically we're never going to compete on manufacuring cheap items at scale with the far east but high end manufacturing and engineering is most definitely an area we can be a leader in - these would be high paying jobs too.

We should invest much more in science/engineering generally for these areas. The government should be stepping up and making these courses at uni more attractive with grants or some other means so we can rapidly build up the workforce in these areas.
Well, you always have nimbys but on a more general point wind power will be the primary power source in the coming years. As you say, more likely offshore than onshore but for more reasons than aesthetics. Turbulence plays a big part in location so you can't plonk them down anywhere. This part of the world, Scotland and the north of Ireland, is perfect for offshore as it is always bloody windy. So if life gives you lemons then make lemonade.

SMRs will be bit-part players is what I've read, if they play a part at all. David Roberts did a good article on it a couple of years back though it was a bit US centric. I'll try and dig it up but the gist of it was to do with a poor cost/benefit versus the plummeting price of renewables. And renewables costs have been dropping steadily since. It will be a niche power source rather than widespread use I would think.

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-envi...wer-energy-climate-decarbonization-renewables

Last edited:
They can't. They're useless. But as long as they deliver the unicorn that is Brexit, the majority of this country will give them a free pass for absolutely anything. Polling alone, in any normal year this government would be at 5%. But as long as Brexit is around, they'll be supported to the hilt. Hell, even after they will too, as long as the Press Barons get their way.

Well i didn't vote for them but will turn a blind eye if they get brecit through. But i think in some ways im a good barometer of what the north and Midlands think.

I think let Johnson get brexit done and then like churchill after the second world war boot him out for a labour government that will care for everyone.

That is how i feel and a lot on my circle feel. I dont hate the tories, but 10 years is enough of them.

The impact of Brexit and then Scexit would be huge. And I am fond of the Scots. Even the ginger ones.
Would be a massive loss for labour.

Frankly with regard Scotland leaving im not fussed. Would rather look forward telling the loud mouth angry jocks left here to fcuk off out of it if Scotland did vote for independence.

Basically everyone hates the English, they really do so if England is that all is left, we can be left in peace to go about our business without being told how evil we are.

Of course our military and nuclear deterrent would be less strong. Putin would roll into eastern europe and take back what he feels are soviet countries.

Not sure that's correct

Brexit was voted for so they have to deliver it

Fact is they won the last election by a landslide so like it or not we get 4 years of it, its not about people putting up with it, its par for the course. Comments on forums or protests don't constitute ”not putting up with it” because that doesn't change anything anymore than holding your own court on matters that bother you.

Hope is Kier can mount a relevant and strong challenge next time round

Last edited:
What's the difference to the UK wanting independence from a manufactured alliance and Scotland wanting to exit the historic union with the UK? One seems to be accepted almost applauded and the other looked at with anger.

Before the UK left the EU scotland held its referendum so it can't just be to remain in the EU, they feel they have a more genuine chance as a nation away from England and Westminster, isn't that the same for leaving the EU??

Phillip Scholfield (yes really) qustioning Matt Hanrooster: "How comes 30 children can't gather in the park to feed the ducks, but 30 men can gather to shoot them"?

It will take an awful lot for the penny to drop for some. They really believe that the Tories rule for the benefit of all and not just narrow, economically elite vested interests.

Back