• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Established 'top level' players we've signed.

Freund is a good example, unlikely fans of other clubs were jealous when we signed him, and he wasn't a superstar, but we signed him not long after he won a European Cup and a European Championship, everyone knew who he was.

Yeh 100%.

Hugely established I international player

We signed Jurgen from Monaco - was he really a superstar? Was too young to know much beyond THFC at the time

We signed Jurgen from Monaco - was he really a superstar? Was too young to know much beyond THFC at the time

He'd won a World Cup and a UEFA cup I think, he'd been up and down at Inter and Monaco, good and bad spells, popular in both places, he also came with injury concerns.

I was s
I was sitting outside a Lagos (Portugal) bar reading about that transfer back in the day. Was very much a 'Bale like' transfer day. The bar owner was going on and on about it and bought us lunch as a fellow sufferer/supporter!

Last edited:
Without a doubt Klinsmann was a massive story at the time, not just for his playing but he was in the papers about his diving during games in the press.

I had a market stall klinsmann t-shirt i practically lived in during that season which had the line "my grandad bombed Highbury during the war, now I'm back to finish the job" printed underneath an arms aloft Klinsmann celebrating a goal :D

Loved the Klinsmann wonderland song as well

He was the best striker in the world
He scored 5 goals in the wc for a team that went out in the quarters and would be IMO the equivalent now of a Kane level player

he was brilliant, but there were forwards more highly regarded at the time, Stoichkov, Weah and Baggio spring to mind, fat Ronaldo too

Italy was still the centre of the football world then

Agree about Kane level, he was certainly the best forward in England

It helped him get his groove back too, he was spectacular for Bayern the year after

he was brilliant, but there were forwards more highly regarded at the time, Stoichkov, Weah and Baggio spring to mind, fat Ronaldo too

Italy was still the centre of the football world then

Agree about Kane level, he was certainly the best forward in England

It helped him get his groove back too, he was spectacular for Bayern the year after
Fat Ronaldo had just started his career when we signed him at psv
He was held IMO in higher regard than those you mentioned. Most of them were more known at one club rather than for their exploits more “globally”

Back