• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Established 'top level' players we've signed.

The only genuine superstar we've signed in modernish times is Klinsman.

VDV was on the ring below but a genuine name, the rest were either on the rise or the way down. It's not been out model especially under ENIC to buy stars but or the most part that has worked for us.

We should really be trying to stay in the Dortmund/Lyon/A Madrid zone of buying up and coming talent. That is what has served us best, Bale, Dele, Modric etc etc.

It's not something we have done a lot of but some were established in their own right and just flopped.

Soldado was 20+ goal a season three seasons in a row, only outscored by Messi and Ronaldo in them times so was def established

Ziege was a top level known international left back

Rebrov was considered as good as Shevchenko before he came

Ginola was wanted by Barce

It's not something we have done a lot of but some were established in their own right and just flopped.

Soldado was 20+ goal a season three seasons in a row, only outscored by Messi and Ronaldo in them times so was def established

Ziege was a top level known international left back

Rebrov was considered as good as Shevchenko before he came

Ginola was wanted by Barce
Soldadao wasn't a superstar. At the the time I was basically watching 2 or 3 La Liga matches a week and trust me he was a good striker for Valencia but was never considered a superstar nor even in the top 5 in the league, just a very good striker.

Rebrov was again considered a good player but there is a reason we signed him and Shevchenko went to Milan. So again not a superstar just considered a good player.

By the time we signed Ginola he was a failed (unfairly or not) France internnatoonal I don't think he was ever considered superstar but I may be wrong.

Ziege is the closest thing to that bracket but I dunno if I'd really consider him a superstar.

Klinsman was something else, we shouldn't especially at that time be able to sign a player of his stature. That was a real coup. If Bale does end returning he's the biggest thing by far since Klinsman.

Soldadao wasn't a superstar. At the the time I was basically watching 2 or 3 La Liga matches a week and trust me he was a good striker for Valencia but was never considered a superstar nor even in the top 5 in the league, just a very good striker.

Rebrov was again considered a good player but there is a reason we signed him and Shevchenko went to Milan. So again not a superstar just considered a good player.

By the time we signed Ginola he was a failed (unfairly or not) France internnatoonal I don't think he was ever considered superstar but I may be wrong.

Ziege is the closest thing to that bracket but I dunno if I'd really consider him a superstar.

Klinsman was something else, we shouldn't especially at that time be able to sign a player of his stature. That was a real coup. If Bale does end returning he's the biggest thing by far since Klinsman.

Yeah Klinsmann was different level altogether not only because he was one of the best in the world so too good for us at that time but also because those players didn't play in the Premier League back then. They usually played in Italy or Spain. Signing a player of his quality was unheard of.

I'd throw Popescu into the mix shortly afterwards. Not on the same level as Klinsmann but a top, top player in the prime of his career. And he scored that winner against Woolwich.

The question wasn't if they were a super star but established

I would say we have had a few, many flopped but still at time they were known. Popescu is a great call too

Freund is a good example, unlikely fans of other clubs were jealous when we signed him, and he wasn't a superstar, but we signed him not long after he won a European Cup and a European Championship, everyone knew who he was.

Back