• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer thread

There's no point appointing Mourinho if he doesn't deliver CL football. He'll only be with us for a couple of more seasons and if he can't deliver immediately, we should have appointed another "project" manager.

People panic about other clubs' business every summer but it rarely works out like that. I think that fourth is very gettable finishing above United, Arsenal and Leicester. Higher is possible if someone has a bad season.

Yes, I dont see Man U being any better than us as things stand at all; Leicester had a great season last year but arguably outperformed whilst Arsenal finished below us last year and I dont see them as being massively stronger. Wolves aren't any stronger than last year. The only real change is Chelsea, but as you said below, how good they are depends on their signings settling in

Anything between 3rd and 7th is plausible, though 4th/5th probably the most realistic. If we're any material distance behind 4th comes xmas, you wouldnt bet against Levy firing Jose

Agree with most of that...but watch Sessegnon playing left-back for the first 15 minutes of the second half yesterday. He looked composed, sharp. Passed the ball well to get out of tight situations, and could get forward. Just Davies and Sessegonon gives Mourinho two very different options at LB: a defensive 3rd CB type full-back and an exciting fast attacking fullback.

On top of that Cirkin looks like a decent player. He probably needs a loan, but he's good enough for cup games for sure. Possibly more.

Goes without saying I hope Sessegnon or Cirkin can be that game changer at LB because I don’t think Davies is or ever will be. He’ll give you a steady 6/10 but not a lot else and he’s not quick.

Would be an excellent signing. We need another creator, but I'll only believe it when it happens. He'll have much richer offers than ours I expect.

I struggle to see this unless we're shipping Ndombele out - probably no worse from a fee perspective and perhaps better from wages

Tweet deleted, what was it?

Think it was Van De Beek? Mike Verweij had linked us earlier today.

Would be an excellent signing. We need another creator, but I'll only believe it when it happens. He'll have much richer offers than ours I expect.

I struggle to see this unless we're shipping Ndombele out - probably no worse from a fee perspective and perhaps better from wages
Still think Buendia at Norwich offers us greater vfm in the passer role.

I want Van De Beek, purely because he looks like Daws' illegitimate Dutch son. :p

MD.jpg

donny-van-de-beek-cropped_hljzb32evavf1i9k7p2234mtx_571_855.jpg

There's no point appointing Mourinho if he doesn't deliver CL football. He'll only be with us for a couple of more seasons and if he can't deliver immediately, we should have appointed another "project" manager.

People panic about other clubs' business every summer but it rarely works out like that. I think that fourth is very gettable finishing above United, Arsenal and Leicester. Higher is possible if someone has a bad season.
We are still transitioning and far from knowing what our best team/formation is. With that in mind, the EL is the last thing we need (in this particular season), winning it is the only positive outcome (and genuinely isn't easy), the negatives are scheduling (happening already), 18 potential extra games, time with players (a common Jose complaint), and the potential to hinder a top 4 finish. That worries me as it will be no surprise if some of our best players won't do another season not playing CL.

Just think things have much more potential to achieve our goals and progress the team with domestic cups and 38 pl games only (like Chelsea and Leicester did) often with whole weeks to work with players.

But hey ho we haven't got that.

We are still transitioning and far from knowing what our best team/formation is. With that in mind, the EL is the last thing we need (in this particular season), winning it is the only positive outcome (and genuinely isn't easy), the negatives are scheduling (happening already), 18 potential extra games, time with players (a common Jose complaint), and the potential to hinder a top 4 finish. That worries me as it will be no surprise if some of our best players won't do another season not playing CL.

Just think things have much more potential to achieve our goals and progress the team with domestic cups and 38 pl games only (like Chelsea and Leicester did) often with whole weeks to work with players.

But hey ho we haven't got that.

The key players in our squad are just hitting their prime. It's now or never for this team. I think that is why Levy brought Mourinho in.

We need a creative player. We have nothing since Eriksen left. This is a position people seem to be overlooking for us. Ndombele is not looking like filling that role. Lo Celso is not really that creative. Maybe a second season for him we will see a little more.

Creator and some back up for Kane and it would be a very good window.

We need a creative player. We have nothing since Eriksen left. This is a position people seem to be overlooking for us. Ndombele is not looking like filling that role. Lo Celso is not really that creative. Maybe a second season for him we will see a little more.

Agreement. Even with Ndombele and Lo Celso I would like another creative cm who gets minutes. If Ndombele does leave we need one doubly so.

The thing is, Van De Beek isn't a creative midfielder, really. He can definitely play as a No.10, but his real role is to be a Dutch Dele - literally. His best attributes are his finishing, ghosting into spaces and acting almost as a second striker.

We already have that in Dele. So that's why I'm being facetious and saying I'd have him because he looks like Daws - truth is, I don't see a role for him here, honestly.

The key players in our squad are just hitting their prime. It's now or never for this team. I think that is why Levy bought Mourinho in.
That was 2/3/4 seasons ago...the supporting cast is either suspect or yet to prove themselves, it might all come together but the points I made in my previous post hinder that. And if it doesn't come together the manager will implode as well.

It really could be a sliding doors season imo

Agree with the logic but we didn’t go in for Eze for example who is that kind of player and Donny is very much a Dele type too

That was 2/3/4 seasons ago...the supporting cast is either suspect or yet to prove themselves, it might all come together but the points I made in my previous post hinder that. And if it doesn't come together the manager will implode as well.

It really could be a sliding doors season imo
Every season is sliding doors at this level

Back