• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer thread

Davies I've always thought is our Denis Irwin.

That’s very, very high praise. All about opinions of course but I don’t think he’s done enough to warrant those comparisons. Irwin had a pretty decent goalscoring record for a full back (didn’t he occasionally take free kicks as well?). Davies offers little going forward. He’s an ok player, doesn’t make brain farts that cost us like Aurier and Dier but he’s nothing more than a 6/10 player for me. I think getting a new CM, RB and backup striker which we’re on our way to doing are the priorities but LB should be the next priority in the next window or possibly late in this window if something comes up that’s too good to turn down.

That’s very, very high praise. All about opinions of course but I don’t think he’s done enough to warrant those comparisons. Irwin had a pretty decent goalscoring record for a full back (didn’t he occasionally take free kicks as well?). Davies offers little going forward. He’s an ok player, doesn’t make brain farts that cost us like Aurier and Dier but he’s nothing more than a 6/10 player for me. I think getting a new CM, RB and backup striker which we’re on our way to doing are the priorities but LB should be the next priority in the next window or possibly late in this window if something comes up that’s too good to turn down.

Agree with most of that...but watch Sessegnon playing left-back for the first 15 minutes of the second half yesterday. He looked composed, sharp. Passed the ball well to get out of tight situations, and could get forward. Just Davies and Sessegonon gives Mourinho two very different options at LB: a defensive 3rd CB type full-back and an exciting fast attacking fullback.

On top of that Cirkin looks like a decent player. He probably needs a loan, but he's good enough for cup games for sure. Possibly more.

He indeed took a lovely free kick. I meant in character. Quiet, unassuming, dependable...Irwin was obviously part of a great side so hard to judge how good he really was.

The funny thing is I'm usually very pragmatic (so would usually be agreeable to this current approach) BUT I've got a feeling we'll all think 'WTF' in 18/24 months.

I'm not moaning about it though as I understand this is maybe how we have to cut our cloth at the mo.
In what way are you thinking?
Do you feel that we’re being left behind or that we’re actually doing the right thing (or something completely different)?

Davies made a LOT of mistakes last season IMO (Sheffield United away was criminally bad)
But he has also had some very very good seasons that he didn’t get the hype for

The funny thing is I'm usually very pragmatic (so would usually be agreeable to this current approach) BUT I've got a feeling we'll all think 'WTF' in 18/24 months.

I'm not moaning about it though as I understand this is maybe how we have to cut our cloth at the mo.
I don't think we have much of a choice.

We don't have the money to sign the top players Mourinho surely would have wanted could we get them.

We can't really gamble on many high risk high reward signings as the gaps in the squad are too severe and not fixing them would leave us in a really bad situation if high risk signings didn't work out.

There's definitely the risk that we'll look back on signings as not good enough, later seen as surplus to requirements and even worse problems to follow if we have another poor 12-18 months. Of the options available to us it's the most sensible risk to take imo. Regardless of the outcome.

I do not understand those who think we can challenge for the top four, let alone trophies with such a mediocre left back.
I don't understand who we're supposed to sign that would be good enough, come to us and affordable enough.

In Sessegnon and Cirkin we have two highly rated young players that might end up clear upgrades on Davies given time. That to me is the more realistic way to get a top quality left back.

I don't understand who we're supposed to sign that would be good enough, come to us and affordable enough.

In Sessegnon and Cirkin we have two highly rated young players that might end up clear upgrades on Davies given time. That to me is the more realistic way to get a top quality left back.
And the focus can be where we had no one like DM and striker and RB where we have an awful player

I do not understand those who think we can challenge for the top four, let alone trophies with such a mediocre left back.

I think that anything less than top four next season is a failure. We were only a couple of results away from it last year, despite having a cluster fudge of a season and our points per game after the restart was top four most seasons. This summer we are sensibly balancing the squad.

I think that anything less than top four next season is a failure. We were only a couple of results away from it last year, despite having a cluster fudge of a season and our points per game after the restart was top four most seasons. This summer we are sensibly balancing the squad.
I don’t think our PPG last season bears any relevance this year - it’s a different season with different variables.

It’s going to be v tight again IMO. Chelsea have spent a boatload, Arsenal will be a better, Utd will spend, Wolves out of Europe, I think.

I’m not sure finishing outside of Top 4 next season should constitute a ‘failure’, particularly with Europa pressures. We’re still in the middle of a full scale rebuild. I’ll be disappointed if we don’t get it, sure, but I just think it’s a 50/50 shot.

Last edited:
I don’t think our PPG last season bears any relevance this year - it’s a different season with different variables.

It’s going to be v tight again IMO. Chelsea have spent a boatload, Arsenal will be a better, Utd will spend, Wolves out of Europe, I think.

I’m not sure finishing outside of Top 4 next season should constitute a ‘failure’, particularly with Europa pressures. We’re still in the middle of a full scale rebuild. I’ll be disappointed if we don’t get it, sure, but I just think it’s a 50/50 shot.

There's no point appointing Mourinho if he doesn't deliver CL football. He'll only be with us for a couple of more seasons and if he can't deliver immediately, we should have appointed another "project" manager.

People panic about other clubs' business every summer but it rarely works out like that. I think that fourth is very gettable finishing above United, Arsenal and Leicester. Higher is possible if someone has a bad season.

I should add that Chelsea have signed some really good players but we don't know who's leaving yet, how the new players will settle and they could be very open at the back.

There's no point appointing Mourinho if he doesn't deliver CL football. He'll only be with us for a couple of more seasons and if he can't deliver immediately, we should have appointed another "project" manager.

People panic about other clubs' business every summer but it rarely works out like that. I think that fourth is very gettable finishing above United, Arsenal and Leicester. Higher is possible if someone has a bad season.
Completely agree with the first bit - I would’ve gone for the ‘project’ manager - although Levy may be won over if we snag a couple of tinpot trophies.

I just think others will be stronger this year - I expect Pool to be worse - time will tell...

Back