• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Europa League 2020/21 - Round of 16: Dinamo Zagreb (CRO)

So...Rounds 3 and 4 of Carabao Cup seem to clash with 2nd and 3rd rounds of Europa League qualifying next season, unless I’m mistaken...

What a clusterfudge...

Fear not, simple forum folk. As you may have anticipated, I have a straightforward and practical solution to entirely de-risk this situation.

A club of our stature will have no issue in raising a team of vastly inferior ringers and having them on standby for such an occasion. The doppelgänger 11 should be several levels below us, yet still capable of broadly looking the part (for example; a local amateur team, trialists from Leyton Orient, a nearby supporters club, or the Arsenal FC first eleven).

We should kit out our 11 Ilie ‘Dummy’trescus in a suitable yellow Faux-manian kit and allow them to take the field as normal, only to be easily dispatched by a cricket score. Come on you Spurs!

By ensuring the attending media are none the wiser to our switcheroo, they will report on the game as normal, both live and afterwards in the printed and web based media. (Any allegations of the rouse should be quickly shouted down as “fake news”. And said to have emanated “from Chi-nah”).

By the time the authorities cotton on a few days later, we’ll be safely through the 3 qualifiers and mid-way into the group stages. it’ll be too late and too complicated for them to reverse all the decisions.

If questioned on our complicity, all parties will adopt the Darren “Shaggy” Anderton defence.

“It wasn’t me!”.

And that is how Alan Pardew ended up playing for Spurs.

Yep, youth team out for the 3rd round I reckon

Dont teams in European competition usually get a bye in the first round proper of the league cup? Maybe they'll do it for two rounds this year or alternatively, I agree with you, Jose would leave out anyone in the first 11 - perhaps play the likes of Winks, Sessegnon, Clarke etc

Dont teams in European competition usually get a bye in the first round proper of the league cup? Maybe they'll do it for two rounds this year or alternatively, I agree with you, Jose would leave out anyone in the first 11 - perhaps play the likes of Winks, Sessegnon, Clarke etc
You usually go into the 3rd round, but that, and Round 4 clash with Round 2 and 3 of Europa. I can’t see us being given a bye to the Quarter Finals!

It’s more the impact it will have on our league form that I’m worried about.

Premier League sides will enter the competition in Round Two or Round Three if they are competing in European competition in season 2020/21.

Our only option is to do what Liverpool did v Villa when they sent the 1st team to the WCC. Play majority of U19s etc; The respective draws will have a big bearing on our decision no doubt

I wouldn’t be happy with sending out the reserves for the league cup, a competition far easier to win than the EL. No team should have to play 18 games to win any cup competition. The whole competition needs to be reformed. Go back to straight knockouts, get rid of the league format and stop giving CL dropouts another platform to win another cup after failing the first time.

I wouldn’t be happy with sending out the reserves for the league cup, a competition far easier to win than the EL. No team should have to play 18 games to win any cup competition. The whole competition needs to be reformed. Go back to straight knockouts, get rid of the league format and stop giving CL dropouts another platform to win another cup after failing the first time.

That’s the worst thing about the Europa League for me - that it would be so easy to make it a brilliant competition - 32 team straight knockout, boom.

We'll have games on:
Thurs 17 Sept (UEL 2nd Round Qualifier)
Sun 20 Sept (PL2)
Tues 22 (Carabao Cup 3)
Thurs 24 (UEL 3rd Round Qualifier) - IF WE PROGRESS FROM PREVIOUS ROUND
Sun 26 Sept (PL3)
Tues 29 Sept (Carabao Cup 4) - IF WE PROGRESS FROM PREVIOUS ROUND
Thurs 1 Oct (UEL Play Off) - IF WE PROGRESS FROM PREVIOUS ROUND
Sun 4 Oct (PL4)

Just the 8 games in 17 days! The UEL games being one leg leaves no room for error; in a 2-leg situation we could have risked losing in Belarus.

Of course it is only us in this situation as the only club involved in the qualifying rounds....would be hugely ironic if we were drawn against Woolwich in Carabao Cup 4th round and effectively had to forefit the team by putting out the U23 when it was their sodding FA Cup win that subjected us to this.

We'll have games on:
Sun 20 Sept (PL2)
Tues 22 (Carabao Cup 3)
Sun 26 Sept (PL3)
Sun 4 Oct (PL4)

Just the 8 games in 17 days! The UEL games being one leg leaves no room for error; in a 2-leg situation we could have risked losing in Belarus.

Of course it is only us in this situation as the only club involved in the qualifying rounds....would be hugely ironic if we were drawn against Woolwich in Carabao Cup 4th round and effectively had to forefit the team by putting out the U23 when it was their sodding FA Cup win that subjected us to this.

Shows why loan moves for the likes of Deeney on loan isn’t the worst move

would be hugely ironic if we were drawn against Woolwich in Carabao Cup 4th round and effectively had to forefit the team by putting out the U23 when it was their sodding FA Cup win that subjected us to this.
It would be a great reward for the Goons' hard work in beating Pool/City/Cheatski/whoever it was; win the cup and then get a free hit at Spurs

We'll have games on:
Sun 20 Sept (PL2)
Tues 22 (Carabao Cup 3)
Sun 26 Sept (PL3)
Sun 4 Oct (PL4)

Kane could have 20 goals under his belt by the start of October.

Kane could have 20 goals under his belt by the start of October.

especially with no games in August.

Jose will field the U23s for the early rounds of the Carabao cup so to a large extent I wouldnt really view them in the group of games. Will be a separate group of players

especially with no games in August.

Jose will field the U23s for the early rounds of the Carabao cup so to a large extent I wouldnt really view them in the group of games. Will be a separate group of players
That’s gonna be an interesting test of those players

Back