• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

Pace on the brain was also mentioned he is slow on thought

He is neither Busquets or Makelele or he would be at Bayern. Let's not be silly here

When he left Bayern they had Xabi Alonso, Phillipp Lahm and Arturo Vidal vying for the DM role so not easy to break through into the starting XI.

I'm not claiming he's a Busquets or a Makalele but he's better than what we have at DM and not half as bad as you make him out to be.

Well i admit i have not seen a lot of him in real terms ( never take much notice of highlight clips as they can make anyone look good) and i do not know if he will be a top signing. However what i do know is that we have lacked a player who can dominate the CM for a long time, if Jose thinks he is the man to do just that i will give him a chance to show it. Our defenders have been slated for their play over the last 18 months or so( some of it deserved, some not) , but a lot of the problem has been a wide open CM so i await to see if this will improve now.

Pace on the brain was also mentioned he is slow on thought

He is neither Busquets or Makelele or he would be at Bayern. Let's not be silly here
My point wasn’t to compare his ability to that of those fine players I mentioned, purely that a holder doesn’t necessarily need to be physically quick to be successful. I take your point on speed of thought, but as far as I’m aware, I haven’t seen any data here that indicates he is lacking in this department.

Well i admit i have not seen a lot of him in real terms ( never take much notice of highlight clips as they can make anyone look good) and i do not know if he will be a top signing. However what i do know is that we have lacked a player who can dominate the CM for a long time, if Jose thinks he is the man to do just that i will give him a chance to show it. Our defenders have been slated for their play over the last 18 months or so( some of it deserved, some not) , but a lot of the problem has been a wide open CM so i await to see if this will improve now.
I am with you 100% here PL.

Exactly what we needed and I am extremely pleased to see Mourinho immediately address the chasm we had in our team and the chairman backing him with his first choice. It was so obvious in games last season that we had a gaping hole in deep midfield that our opponents could just wander into, unmarked, to receive the ball.

Later in the season I think Mourinho played the low block with two very deep midfielders to help make up for that gaping hole but this sacrificed some of our attacking threat. Now we should be able defend the centre properly while still having enough players to join attacks. This is just what our team needed.

@Bedfordspurs - I hate to say I told you so about Mourinho addressing DM first as the position in most need of sorting.... but... ;)
Earlier I listened to Steve Sedgley on a podcast, saying that Venables signed him to look after the midfield whilst Gazza went and did his thing.
I guess this is similar, he will sit and allow more skilful players to try runs, tricks, passes etc.

I'm not v excited by him as a player, but as you say I am pleased Levy has bought Mou Mou a Premiership-ready DM.

Welcome Pierre. Not sure if he fits my sexy criteria, we haven't really filled that void since Niko left.

We got Winks doing the pretty boy job, Alderweireld as the bad boy along Dier, Son the cutie pie. Who else? No boy band is complete without sexy boy.

Sent fra min IN2013 via Fapatalk

But with Eriksen and Vorm going we needed more tattoos in the squad.

How anyone can write him off before he’s even played is pretty funny.

He’ll be a robust, agile tackling midfielder with good ability to carry the ball forward. His passing isn’t bad. But he can improve, as he can his finishing. He started life as a striker. At just 25 (last week) he should develop a little more.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Based on seeing him and his team play us a fair few times and seeing them play beyond that it's far from laughable

It would be more laughable to see a player a dozen times and not form an opinion of for that to change should they sign for your club.

He’ll be a robust, agile tackling midfielder with good ability to carry the ball forward. His passing isn’t bad. But he can improve, as he can his finishing. He started life as a striker. At just 25 (last week) he should develop a little more.

Are you new to football fan forums? I hate to break it to you, but most of us* have not played football to a decent level. Most of us* are not professionally involved in the game and most of us* feel like Big Boys Behind the Keyboard and hope that someone will actually pay attention to us.

*not @scaramanga

Are you new to football fan forums? I hate to break it to you, but most of us* have not played football to a decent level. Most of us* are not professionally involved in the game and most of us* feel like Big Boys Behind the Keyboard and hope that someone will actually pay attention to us.

*not @scaramanga

José Mourinho and Pep Guardiola on the other hand are clearly mugs!

Author Martí Perarnau, writing in Pep Confidential, said of Højbjerg. “Pep had heard good things about Højbjerg before coming to Bayern and it has taken just a couple of training sessions for him to fall in love with the player. Pep thinks he may have just found the Sergio Busquets of Bayern.”

I do think Bedford’s hesitancy to fall too much for the ‘best in the league at regaining possession’ stat is smart. The context is a high pressing Southampton side where he’s the DM there to mop up. Mourinho doesn’t look like playing that game.

For £3m + KWP this is a no lose signing. We’ve struggled with Ndombele not being professional and dedicated. Hojberg is the model pro. Will work hard, bring the right attitude to the team, fight for the ball, and has a little bit more quality on the ball than maybe he gets credit.

Author Martí Perarnau, writing in Pep Confidential, said of Højbjerg. “Pep had heard good things about Højbjerg before coming to Bayern and it has taken just a couple of training sessions for him to fall in love with the player. Pep thinks he may have just found the Sergio Busquets of Bayern.”

I do think Bedford’s hesitancy to fall too much for the ‘best in the league at regaining possession’ stat is smart. The context is a high pressing Southampton side where he’s the DM there to mop up. Mourinho doesn’t look like playing that game.

For £3m + KWP this is a no lose signing. We’ve struggled with Ndombele not being professional and dedicated. Hojberg is the model pro. Will work hard, bring the right attitude to the team, fight for the ball, and has a little bit more quality on the ball than maybe he gets credit.

Southampton lost possession more than any side last season by some way, 8 times more than the divisional average of 94 so anyone “cleaning up” for them would be bloody busy

Was there for his whole tenure and the new Busquets played?? How often?

So, assuming you're asking how many times did Hojbjerg play under Per at Bayern the answer is 8 including a start in the final of the DFB Pokal, Hojbjerg was 18 at the time.

The Bayern midfield at that time had Schweinsteiger, Xabi Alonso, Lahm, Thiago, Shaqiri, Ribery, Robben, Muller and Gotze so not exactly the hardest grup to break in to for an 18 year old.

Pep / Bayern must have seen something as they awarded him a 3 year contract extension that season. He then went out on loan to Augsburg and Schalke and when he came back Pep was leaving.

So, assuming you're asking how many times did Hojbjerg play under Per at Bayern the answer is 8 including a start in the final of the DFB Pokal, Hojbjerg was 18 at the time.

The Bayern midfield at that time had Schweinsteiger, Xabi Alonso, Lahm, Thiago, Shaqiri, Ribery, Robben, Muller and Gotze so not exactly the hardest grup to break in to for an 18 year old.

Pep / Bayern must have seen something as they awarded him a 3 year contract extension that season. He then went out on loan to Augsburg and Schalke and when he came back Pep was leaving.

Ouch :cool:

Who do folks think he’ll partner (best) with in the middle? Would be fun to add a poll:

Winks
Sissoko
Ndombele
Dier
LeCelco
Skipp

Difficult to say. The good news for me is that he seems like a player that could form a good midfield partnership with several of our players, and a good trio with several players.

Unlike our current bunch where there doesn't seem to be a good partnership between any of them.

Difficult to say. The good news for me is that he seems like a player that could form a good midfield partnership with several of our players, and a good trio with several players.

Unlike our current bunch where there doesn't seem to be a good partnership between any of them.

I agree none of our midfield seem to have a dominant personality or take charge of defensive situations, he may be an unspectacular player but just might allow other to have more freedom to express themselves. I think its been said many times that all teams need some "water carriers".

I don't have to explain anything, stats are often misleading and I judge by what I see and what I see is an average player.

I'm not going to sit all day explaining why, the fact he is now a Spurs player doesn't make a slight difference in that view.
Well all I can say is I've seen him several times on TV and always thought of him as a decent holding midfielder - didnt think anything more of it than that.

Since then Jose was linked to wanting him and it made perfect sense to me, as we dont have anyone whose skillset focuses on that role and the simple things he does well can compliment our other midfielders. I wasnt even aware of his complimentary stats, but it is pretty obvious he adds another dimension for us that would allow other CMs to focus on the things they are better at - but hey, if you seriously believe he is no better than Winks or Sissoko as the DM then good luck to you.

What I will say is whilst coaches arent full proof in identifying players correctly, one thing I am sure of is that Jose knows what makes a good DM and I would back his judgement on making a move for this guy even if I personally didnt rate him.....

Who do folks think he’ll partner (best) with in the middle? Would be fun to add a poll:

Winks
Sissoko
Ndombele
Dier
LeCelco
Skipp

- Sissoko is a player Jose sees out wide (he's specifically said he doesn't see him in CM)
- Dier we won't see in CM/DM role again unless it's an emergency
- Skipp is off on loan (pretty much)
- My view is Lo Celso/N'dombele need to sit higher

Obvious answer is Winks at this point, PEH wins ball, gets it either to Winks or one of the AMs infront for us to counter ..

Would be nice to have another option that plays deeper to partner PEH

Back