• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

cars

Also, of course depends on your driving requirements, but am glad i stuck with one more combustible engine. The whole world will eventually move to Electric and of course they're rapid too, but the start of an ICE, or the roar when you rev away on the slip road to a motorway, just absolutely beautiful.

Also, of course depends on your driving requirements, but am glad i stuck with one more combustible engine. The whole world will eventually move to Electric and of course they're rapid too, but the start of an ICE, or the roar when you rev away on the slip road to a motorway, just absolutely beautiful.
If you like startup roar, depending on your model you may be able to improve it.

Some manufacturers have rpm-based solenoid valves in the exhaust designed to help pass MOTs. If you can find the fuse and pull it, they all fail open. Stick it back in for the MOT though.

Two of the greatest car sounds on this planet - the Maserati V8 turbo and the Aston V12 both have it. Absolutely criminal to mute such beauty IMO.

If you like startup roar, depending on your model you may be able to improve it.

Some manufacturers have rpm-based solenoid valves in the exhaust designed to help pass MOTs. If you can find the fuse and pull it, they all fail open. Stick it back in for the MOT though.

Two of the greatest car sounds on this planet - the Maserati V8 turbo and the Aston V12 both have it. Absolutely criminal to mute such beauty IMO.

Yeh heard about that, as well as the PPF that's added to the car which also reduces the noise somewhat.

But it's an absolute blast to drive, flick into Sport mode and it just flies. I never bought the sporty car i wanted in my 20s, so now the family here it's a decent sized SUV for practicality but also an absolute beast to drive for when i need it to be.

Yeh heard about that, as well as the PPF that's added to the car which also reduces the noise somewhat.

But it's an absolute blast to drive, flick into Sport mode and it just flies. I never bought the sporty car i wanted in my 20s, so now the family here it's a decent sized SUV for practicality but also an absolute hunk of burning love to drive for when i need it to be.
It seems BMW are the awkward exception to the rule that have a valve that fails closed!

Look here for info: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1452260

You need to pull the fuse once the exhaust is hot and the flap has opened. Didn't read far enough to see if people had found a better solution.

You need to pull the fuse once the exhaust is hot and the flap has opened.
77r4.gif

Anyone have experience of an M6 Gran Coupe?

It's an incredible machine, clearly. I just find all the German manufacturers so boring. The reduced service cost and reliability is tempting me away from smaller scale manufacturers.

Edit:

Also the E63 if anyone's had one either.

Anyone have experience of an M6 Gran Coupe?

It's an incredible machine, clearly. I just find all the German manufacturers so boring. The reduced service cost and reliability is tempting me away from smaller scale manufacturers.

Edit:

Also the E63 if anyone's had one either.

Big heavy car. Personally, if you're going for that kind of thing, Mercs win. They do comfortable opulent cabins best. Though I find the E63 chavy somehow. You won't mind while inside it, but when you get out...the E63 doesn't work for me. Get one of these
alfa-romeo-giulia-quadrifoglio-m.y.-2020.jpg

Surprisingly comfortable ride pootling around - comfortable even at slow speeds. Spec the leather inserts in the cabin - which lifts the interior. Maybe some colour stitching. Do it. You will thank me :) One of the most fun cars to drive. Truly like driving a 4-door Ferrari and relatively rare.

...and it will handle itself well on track too.

Last edited:
Ps if you have to have a big heavy luxury car how about an s63 amg coupe? Underrated car and some decent used ones out there. Love the interior. Still not that into the exterior.

Last edited:
Big heavy car. Personally, if you're going for that kind of thing, Mercs win. They do comfortable opulent cabins best. Though I find the E63 chavy somehow. You won't mind while inside it, but when you get out...the E63 doesn't work for me. Get one of these
alfa-romeo-giulia-quadrifoglio-m.y.-2020.jpg

Surprisingly comfortable ride pootling around - comfortable even at slow speeds. Spec the leather inserts in the cabin - which lifts the interior. Maybe some colour stitching. Do it. You will thank me :) One of the most fun cars to drive. Truly like driving a 4-door Ferrari and relatively rare.

...and it will handle itself well on track too.
If I'm going for that kind of servicing cost (both scheduled and unscheduled) I'd far rather have a Maserati or an older Aston.

I do love them and I love the sound but they're also only the size of the 3 Series/C Class.

The S is a good shout but might be going too far the other way - bit of a barge compared to the E63.

Isn't there a 5 year warranty on the Alfa's now? Can't be that much to service? S63 is certainly big but hides its weight well. Its a GT car, but not slow at all! And such a nice cabin.

I love the engine in my AMG so I am biased but I’ve had an E63s estate for a week on loan and it’s quite scary how something so big can go so fast and get there so quickly.
Also I think they seem to handle better than the M5 (not sure about the performance version) and the ride is much better.
Final thing, if 600hp isn’t enough then Brabus will sell you a chip that gives another 100hp and 100 torques without affecting the warranty.

And [mention]scaramanga [/mention] you can get a factory fitted towbar to pull the track car along

Isn't there a 5 year warranty on the Alfa's now? Can't be that much to service? S63 is certainly big but hides its weight well. Its a GT car, but not slow at all! And such a nice cabin.
If you buy it new, yes. But then you suffer the depreciation of a brand new car and I'm not interested in that.

I love the engine in my AMG so I am biased but I’ve had an E63s estate for a week on loan and it’s quite scary how something so big can go so fast and get there so quickly.
Also I think they seem to handle better than the M5 (not sure about the performance version) and the ride is much better.
Final thing, if 600hp isn’t enough then Brabus will sell you a chip that gives another 100hp and 100 torques without affecting the warranty.

And [mention]scaramanga [/mention] you can get a factory fitted towbar to pull the track car along
That has been a consideration.

The rated towing weight of both the 4 door Maseratis and the Rapide is 0kg, even if you could fit a tow bar. I suspect the QF is the same. The wife has a hatchback though if I really needed a tow bar.

My problem is that I'm not sure I could lose that feeling of looking out of the window and seeing my car or that feeling of stepping into it. The German cars don't have that for me no matter what engine is in them.

That said, it would massively cut down on the number of car nerds wanting to talk to me whenever I park.....

Went to see a Rapide today, I think I'm sold.

That has to be one of the most beautiful cars I've ever seen in the flesh. Could push the budget to a Rapide S for a chunk more power but I don't think it looks as good - the nose looks like a sharpened Fiesta/Mondeo.

There's absolutely no tech at all but the V12 noise is biblical.

Went to see a Rapide today, I think I'm sold.

That has to be one of the most beautiful cars I've ever seen in the flesh. Could push the budget to a Rapide S for a chunk more power but I don't think it looks as good - the nose looks like a sharpened Fiesta/Mondeo.

There's absolutely no tech at all but the V12 noise is biblical.

I have never had an Aston, but if I was to move away from Mercedes, that's probably where I would go. What is their reliability like?

I have never had an Aston, but if I was to move away from Mercedes, that's probably where I would go. What is their reliability like?
The V12 has been around for a long time now so the teething issues are ironed out.

The V8 is the same unit used in AMGs, so it's it's absolutely bullet-proof. But it's not a V12 ;)

Like any smaller/exotic brand, servicing will cost more and parts will too. But if you stick rigourously to the service schedule you should be fine. I tend to do an interim oil/air filter change if I've been driving my car hard as well.

On a Rapide, pads and discs aren't cheap but they're not much more than I'm already paying. Fuel is a consideration but I only drive around 6k miles a year now. They're not a brand to go for if you like cabin tech, but who wants to drive along watching YouTube when you can listen to the roar of a V12?

The V12 has been around for a long time now so the teething issues are ironed out.

The V8 is the same unit used in AMGs, so it's it's absolutely bullet-proof. But it's not a V12 ;)

Like any smaller/exotic brand, servicing will cost more and parts will too. But if you stick rigourously to the service schedule you should be fine. I tend to do an interim oil/air filter change if I've been driving my car hard as well.

On a Rapide, pads and discs aren't cheap but they're not much more than I'm already paying. Fuel is a consideration but I only drive around 6k miles a year now. They're not a brand to go for if you like cabin tech, but who wants to drive along watching YouTube when you can listen to the roar of a V12?
One of my neighbours has a V12 Vantage and it does sound rather better than my 4 pot hatchback I must admit!

One of my neighbours has a V12 Vantage and it does sound rather better than my 4 pot hatchback I must admit!

I've been near them on track, I've seen plenty of videos with them, etc. Until yesterday I've never stood next to one starting up - it's fudging breathtaking when it does.

Can I assume your entire street hates your neighbour when he has an early start?

Back