• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino

I don't know how many more ways the man can outline how little he was backed when he needed backing the most, before folks finally accept that it was the case. Goes back to 'being brave' - people still think he felt being brave was making no signings - now he's flat out saying how damaging that was and I still think there will be disagreement over it.

We let down, refused to support and then sacked the best manager we've had for 30 years, probably more. That's just a fact at this point.
I'm fairly sure if he hadn't sent out an under-prepared team and bottled the CL final, he'd have been backed very heavily in the summer.

I wouldn't back someone who doesn't achieve either.

I'm fairly sure if he hadn't sent out an under-prepared team and bottled the CL final, he'd have been backed very heavily in the summer.

I wouldn't back someone who doesn't achieve either.
The issue isn't the window post final but specifically the windows previous.

Without doubt I think the lack of investment and the higher end investment choices when made have been poor. I’m not sure if the latter is purely symptomatic of Levy trying to squeeze a higher cost player into a lower cost wage structure or the transfer committee is under performing with the targets they identify.

In terms of his manager choices though, even after their tenure they attract divided opinion amongst fans. Apart from maybe Sherwood. I know for sure my opinion on Harry and AVB’s tenure can be the opposite to many others on here.
The two that have been probably the most universally popular are Jol and Poch: both with the charisma and football stylings to win over both those in the stadium and those that follow via tv. Both at the beginning of their careers so no historic baggage to worry about, both felt like they would stay for as long as we wanted them. Both were coaches, tracksuit managers who created a squad that seemed to feel the same way about them as us fans did. Both took a lot of heat away from Levy for these reasons. Both joined when expectations were low, so they got some time and had some space to move us up into. Both seemed to be personally liked by Levy. Both sackings although not out of the blue given the results and performances of the time still felt very clinical. Personally I felt a relief on both counts as they were such difficult decisions to make if you took sentiment into account and yet in doing so Levy may have helped preserve their legacies. Both have been replaced by managers that had track records of trophies, perhaps representing a feeling that it was just a small tweak required to take the team over the finishing line (in Jol’s case the 4th place line, albeit taking us to our highest league position in the Prem era at the time)
Now since Jol has gone there have been further steps forward, I still hold dear the league cup win under Ramos, my first cup final and Spurs Wembley trip. Even more given the final hurdle disappointments since. Jol has since proved himself to be quite a sexy manager, especially at Ajax where he managed to finish 2nd to Steve Mcfudgewit and then his successor wins the title in the season he resigns.

I am not saying I don’t have reservations about the direction we have taken, but I think we really need to give it until at least Christmas next season before we can judge the real impact this manager change will have. Ultimately I think Levy is expecting Mourinho to maintain CL qualification next season and hopes he picks up a cup as an aside, if we don’t look on target for it and the style of football doesn’t improve he will have another difficult and expensive decision to make.

Last edited:
Yet that team made it to the final and was plenty good enough to win it with the right preparation.

That’s true. However, it’s a cup competition and we were quite fortunate throughout the whole campaign to say the least. Our league form was shambolic from January onwards. Some of that is of course on Poch, I’ve been quite critical of his team selections and in game management in the biggest games and we fell short too many times for it to be a coincidence. But I also feel the squad was on the brink from January onwards. Injuries, long CL campaign and selling players like Dembele without replacing killed us. You have to bring new players in just to stand still.

We can point fingers at various parties but the mismanagement of the squad and transfer window from 2018- last summer left us short in some big games and has set us back at least one season and I don’t see us getting top 4 next season.

“Hi Mauricio, It’s Daniel. Any chance of buying of our players? I’ve already told NDombele the Pies are good in Turin and Gazza can be a model”

Huge pay out, what with sacking him and then appointing Jose. Tell that to Swiss ramble, probably sweep it under the carpet knowing them.

Last edited:
Italians ain't daft, oh for the frozen moment when every one sees what is on the end of their fork.

Goes to Juve, wins loads for 3 years then comes back to us having learnt the winning mentality, perfect !!

Back