• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

For the Tory fans/Brexiteers amongst us, is there anything you would find indefensible? Genuinely asking after reading the below, just trying to gauge if any opinion on this, and how similar contracts that you, a taxpayer pays for, just seem to end up going to Boris' pals with zero outcome. NHS testing app for example, millions spent (more than Irelan'd whos app actually works) but we're now no longer using it.

Why is Brexit relevant?

You make a good point otherwise

I'm not sure you both get the concept of free markets.

Nobody hands out contracts, nobody gets given taxpayer's money. We all but what we want from whom we choose.

Nice try my friend.

Rather than such pithy retorts, tell me again how private sector companies get awarded government business. I am interested in who you believe makes the decision to spend taxpayer money and who decides the criteria for awarding contracts?

Last edited:
Nice try my friend.

Rather than such pithy retorts, tell me again how private sector companies get awarded government business. I am interested in who you believe makes the decision to spend taxpayer money and who decides the criteri for awarding contracts?
The government isn't supposed to be spending our money, that's the entire point.

Anyway, while there’s lots about government procurement that is suboptimal and quirky, people whose first instinct is to scent corruption are pretty much always wrong. And it’s not weird that some of the choices made in a seller’s market, where every country was competing for PPE at speed and scale, look poor in retrospect. There are way better grounds for attacking this government, and there are much more pertinent supply chain security issues for Whitehall to fix.

Ultimately it feels like the public (or those who voted Tory at the last election) will forego almost anything negative from the Govt as long as they get Brexit delivered.

Can categorically say that doesn't apply for me, as someone who both voted for brexit and backed the tories at the last election. Also, looking at opinion polls they look a lot narrower now than they've been at almost any point since a good while before the election.

But don't let any of that stop you telling yourself the story...

Can categorically say that doesn't apply for me, as someone who both voted for brexit and backed the tories at the last election. Also, looking at opinion polls they look a lot narrower now than they've been at almost any point since a good while before the election.

But don't let any of that stop you telling yourself the story...

They are narrower, because Labour has increased in the polls, the Tories haven't decreased.

In 2019 in the run up to election nearly every major poll had Tories around 40-45% on opinion poll.

In 2020, nearly every major poll has Tories around 40-45% on opinon poll.

So, after one of the worst death stats in COVID, cronyism, evidence of Russian intereference in our politics, one rule for Tories during lockdown and another for regular people.... the Tories are still at the same level as before. So, per my original point, what exactly has to happen for people to think the Tories are a bit brick?

But hey, don't let any of that stop you telling yourself the story...

They are narrower, because Labour has increased in the polls, the Tories haven't decreased.

In 2019 in the run up to election nearly every major poll had Tories around 40-45% on opinion poll.

In 2020, nearly every major poll has Tories around 40-45% on opinon poll.

So, after one of the worst death stats in COVID, cronyism, evidence of Russian intereference in our politics, one rule for Tories during lockdown and another for regular people.... the Tories are still at the same level as before. So, per my original point, what exactly has to happen for people to think the Tories are a bit brick?

But hey, don't let any of that stop you telling yourself the story...

https://www.politico.eu/europe-poll-of-polls/united-kingdom/

This shows that the tories have dropped about 8% since the covid crisis broke here, as at this week - movement that you conveniently ignore. But nice try at shaping things to (vaguely) fit your argument.

You know, you really do remind me of another poster on here...

If this government's handling of Covid has not lead to the Tories dropping 20 points then, my fellow left wingers, we need to get our head out of the clouds. This country is overwhelmingly right of center. Even those who don't benefit from this government are so entrenched in the Brexit lie that they are Tory even though it is self harm for them.

If this government's handling of Covid has not lead to the Tories dropping 20 points then, my fellow left wingers, we need to get our head out of the clouds. This country is overwhelmingly right of center. Even those who don't benefit from this government are so entrenched in the Brexit lie that they are Tory even though it is self harm for them.

Which country did you mean? Once the Picts split, we’ll be in the sovereign buccaneering state of England’n’Wales - Poundland, maybe - and it’ll be even further from the centre.

Back