• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

They are but if you look at his Statsbomb radar, he has a very high deep progression numbers and very low xGAssist and xGBuildup numbers.

That's a concern for the player most likely to be on the ball at a turnover or moving it out from the back.

Of course, it could also mean that their forward line is so utterly incompetent that they never create any chances worthy of the name too. Not entirely impossible, considering where he's coming from.
I've seen him play lots of excellent passes forward that were wasted by whoever they play up front. I could really see Son or Kane on the end of those, the end result would be different.

I've seen him play lots of excellent passes forward that were wasted by whoever they play up front. I could really see Son or Kane on the end of those, the end result would be different.
That's what I'm hoping.

They are incredibly low numbers though....

Surprised at the various criticisms of his ability to support attacks. From what I've seen, he does more than enough to support attacks, in the same way that Kane, Son etc do their share in being the first line of defence.

Assuming Skipp leaves on loan for a season, his arrival leaves us with PEH, Winks, GLC, Ndombele, Sissoko and Gedson as CMs. I'd argue that we probably do need 5-6 options in CM next year given we have 4 competitions to juggle, will play 4-3-3 some of the time and Ndomele/Gedson arent exactly settled

Sky are saying

< PEH @£15m
>KWP @£12

That's a pretty good deal, £3m cost overall when there was talk of PEH being arounf £25m a few weeks back. I do wonder if KWP might be one who gets away, I agree he needs gametime but could be someone that can be a capable back up and homegrown in the future (I don't think he'd become good enough to be our first choice RB). I think him not going out on loan the last few seasons has set him back - infact the whole policy of not loaning out players doesn't really make sense to me. I think players learn more from playing in competitive matches than being on the training ground with better coaches at a young age.

That doesn't seem like Mourinho's forte.

With the caveat of not having seen him play many matches, his stats would suggest an overly cautious player on the ball - more a Parker than a Carrick. His completion numbers are good, so he has the physical skill to place a pass (not something I ever expected to doubt a pro footballer for until I saw Sissoko). But he seems to not have either the vision or the ambition to make the passes likely to result in a goal. I can't see how time under Mourinho is likely to change that.

He just needs to seek and destroy and then pass it to his two midfield partners i.e. lo celso, ndombele etc. Same when receiving the ball off the back four, get it and pass it to one of his two midfield partners.

They will then cause the havoc higher up the pitch.

That will be his principle job but now and again I’m sure he may go long to a son or a kane etc.

He just needs to seek and destroy and then pass it to his two midfield partners i.e. lo celso, ndombele etc. Same when receiving the ball off the back four, get it and pass it to one of his two midfield partners.

They will then cause the havoc higher up the pitch.

That will be his principle job but now and again I’m sure he may go long to a son or a kane etc.
The evidence suggests that having him do that makes his team less likely to create a chance than someone else having the ball.

The numbers aren't Sissoko bad, but they're a concern.

The evidence suggests that having him do that makes his team less likely to create a chance than someone else having the ball.

The numbers aren't Sissoko bad, but they're a concern.

What evidence and is there similar evidence to show us what happens to a side defensively when a more expansive player fulfils that role?

What evidence and is there similar evidence to show us what happens to a side defensively when a more expansive player fulfils that role?
Have a look at the xGBuildup figure on his Statsbomb radar.

It's the sum of xG (per 90) created by anyone in the team, where he has a touch of the ball in the build up. It's slightly more useful than xGAssists as that obviously increases the further up the pitch a player plays. For those with a high assist output, you need to consider the two together.

Have a look at the xGBuildup figure on his Statsbomb radar.

It's the sum of xG (per 90) created by anyone in the team, where he has a touch of the ball in the build up. It's slightly more useful than xGAssists as that obviously increases the further up the pitch a player plays. For those with a high assist output, you need to consider the two together.

Isn't that radar from half-way through the 18/19 season? If you look at his radar from Understat (that you kindly signposted me to) his 19/20 numbers are slightly better than average for the league, slightly better than JWP, and way higher than Romeu (for whatever that's worth!)

Back