• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

If and when we ever get to a point where the truth outs regarding numbers, my money will be on our government's 'official' numbers being closer to reality than almost any other country...

From what i have read, the French, Spanish and Italian figures were similar to us but did not include care home figures.

From what i have read, the French, Spanish and Italian figures were similar to us but did not include care home figures.

Yes that was my understanding too, which is what a lot of my feeling was based on. There was also the recent story about English hospitals potentially overreporting covid deaths. Something tells me not too many other countries will end up being accused of that...

Yes that was my understanding too, which is what a lot of my feeling was based on. There was also the recent story about English hospitals potentially overreporting covid deaths. Something tells me not too many other countries will end up being accused of that...

Yeh according to what’s being reported the comparable countries (not NZ etc) look like they will be reporting similar Or comparable levels once the variables are taken into account.

I saw the news last week that we may have been over reporting the deaths

Internationally Public bodies have a lot of latitude on how they account for covid related deaths.

With England We saw discrepancies in data Between public health England and the ons because of timing and accounting differences, and place of death (only hospital admissions were reported by phe early on)

The common ground for uk accounting for covid 19 deaths are based on the death certifications,
and even if not on the certificate, if the deceased has provided a positive test of covid. There are also things like counting only deaths of residents. How many countries report a secondary/indirect cause of death or would bother to test a terminally ill infectious patient? We would.

We have a centralised database of all the recorded deaths, so easy for us to tally up numbers where a cause of death (direct or indirect) references covid, and also those positive tests.

We know a lot of people contracting covid are asymptomatic and logically this applies to a lot of deceased people too.

The uk is clearly going to count more or less every case directly associated with covid.

it’s not the counting that is the problem it is comparing our stats with elsewhere.

Last edited:
Australia’s idea of a disaster seems to be very different to ours.

As for lying about numbers, I don’t think our government is in any position to point fingers on that one.

Melbourne entered a level 4 lockdown on Sunday. Most retail is closed, can't go beyond 3 miles of home to shop or exercise, mandatory mask wearing etc. Six weeks supposedly. A fair few friends have mine are unable to work for this period. Economic impact is massive. We were getting around 500 new cases a day (leveled out at this limit rather than increasing). Hopefully this restriction of movement works and we get back on top of it. I was speaking to a good friend in UK yesterday, trying to find out how bad it's going in the UK and she said pubs were open etc, which is hard for me to get my head around. You're right, Australia does have a different idea of what constitutes a crisis and I think our Government are being heavy handed but one common theme with both countries, is that the idiots out there who spread this virus without a care in the world are prevalent. Without everyone on board it really is impossible to stop the spread without heavy handed government lockdowns.

Melbourne entered a level 4 lockdown on Sunday. Most retail is closed, can't go beyond 3 miles of home to shop or exercise, mandatory mask wearing etc. Six weeks supposedly. A fair few friends have mine are unable to work for this period. Economic impact is massive. We were getting around 500 new cases a day (leveled out at this limit rather than increasing). Hopefully this restriction of movement works and we get back on top of it. I was speaking to a good friend in UK yesterday, trying to find out how bad it's going in the UK and she said pubs were open etc, which is hard for me to get my head around. You're right, Australia does have a different idea of what constitutes a crisis and I think our Government are being heavy handed but one common theme with both countries, is that the idiots out there who spread this virus without a care in the world are prevalent. Without everyone on board it really is impossible to stop the spread without heavy handed government lockdowns.
Makes the slight shortening of the lives of nearly dead people seem trivial in comparison.

I think that those with a vested economic interest in playing down the virus, by plying dangerous propaganda such as Scara had better remember something. Many of those 20 somethings who contracted the disease are still suffering from major side effects, whilst other even less fortunate sufferers face serious organ damage. Yeah, it's all hyperbole isn't it?

I have a healthy friend in his 30s and 3 months on he is still suffering from breathing issues and fatigue. We know so little about this disease and people still felt comfortable saying its not that bad.

I think that those with a vested economic interest in playing down the virus, by plying dangerous propaganda such as Scara had better remember something. Many of those 20 somethings who contracted the disease are still suffering from major side effects, whilst other even less fortunate sufferers face serious organ damage. Yeah, it's all hyperbole isn't it?

That’s some generalisation there

I think rather than the political explanation you give, more people know the dangers and rather than playing them down are looking at the balance between Covid and losing their jobs and homes.

If the heat was on mine and my families future I would look at the dangers and work out the calculated risks against losing my house and my children’s future.

That’s not playing it down for economic gain, that’s working out the best of two huge evils.

No one is playing down the effects. We know enough in my opinion to protect the most vulnerable if Joe public decide to act sensibly and get people back to work and earn salaries that increase their chances of surviving in the next 5-10 years rather than dive into deep unemployment and frankly have no prospects of getting back to work and earning enough to support their families.

If you see the wrong in people wanting to go back to work safely because they know the cost of the rent, mortgage and bills then that frankly on you not them.

Last edited:
You better bring some stats otherwise he'll say it is.

My friend was informed yesterday he was going to lose his job in my industry he has been in for 20 years which is decimated by Covid. He won’t find another job in the industry this year and the industry is unlikely to come back to same level within 13 months.

With the uncertainty and financial strain that’s going to cause him it will set him back 2/3 years in life in a bad way.

My friend was informed yesterday he was going to lose his job in my industry he has been in for 20 years which is decimated by Covid. He won’t find another job in the industry this year and the industry is unlikely to come back to same level within 13 months.

With the uncertainty and financial strain that’s going to cause him it will set him back 2/3 years in life in a bad way.

Has he been in the same job for those 20 years? If so he should at least be in for somewhere near full redundancy.

Back