• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Right Back Thread

No wonder Sarr got forward so convincingly. Would he be wasted at right-back?

Moura/Sarr who are good going forward could be converted to fullbacks. Can they defend?

I’m not convinced he has ever played RB

Mourinho has the blueprint for an attacking fullback with Aurier. If we’re to play that way may as well have a more potent player instead. Someone who can add to our attack and score goals. Aurier does throw in decent crosses and has a good shot on him, but someone like Sarr or Moura could provide more imo.

But does that setup leave us lopsided and predictable?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Mourinho has the blueprint for an attacking fullback with Aurier. If we’re to play that way may as well have a more potent player instead. Someone who can add to our attack and score goals. Aurier does throw in decent crosses and has a good shot on him, but someone like Sarr or Moura could provide more imo.

It leaves us massively open to overloads down that side
I can’t see us going for anyone who isn’t already a full back IMO

It leaves us massively open to overloads down that side
I can’t see us going for anyone who isn’t already a full back IMO

I like the idea of a FB that can regularly create and score. Who doesn’t? Often it’s the FBs that are unmarked and able to stretch the opposition. If so, may as well have a player in there that can hurt the opposition. If we favour attacking FBs why not play someone with real skill who will give the opposition something to worry about?

They also have to be willing to defend though. The system requires the RB to always track the runs of the opposition's left back. Not only that but also coming centrally to cover the back post when balls are delivered from the opposite wing. It would take a fair while to convert an attacking wide player into a full back I think.

I like the idea of a FB that can regularly create and score. Who doesn’t? Often it’s the FBs that are unmarked and able to stretch the opposition. If so, may as well have a player in there that can hurt the opposition. If we favour attacking FBs why not play someone with real skill who will give the opposition something to worry about?

Castagne is that man....

Imo power trump's skill as a FB (although both would be magic) because it can scare going forwards but gets you out of trouble going backwards.

Great technique is a must as well though as otherwise we'd just march Sissoko up and down the right flank.

Imo power trump's skill as a FB (although both would be magic) because it can scare going forwards but gets you out of trouble going backwards.

Great technique is a must as well though as otherwise we'd just march Sissoko up and down the right flank.
Think Walker is the perfect example of that. Without being the most skillful FB he dominated his side of the pitch for a few seasons and was able to be aggressive in attacking the ball because he knew he had the recovery pace to get back if he mis judged it, or missed the initial tackle.

Think Walker is the perfect example of that. Without being the most skillful FB he dominated his side of the pitch for a few seasons and was able to be aggressive in attacking the ball because he knew he had the recovery pace to get back if he mis judged it, or missed the initial tackle.
It was massive for walker because he wasn’t intelligent
That recovery pace and also attacking pace is massive

Would we have the patience for Walker now? Most didn't have patience for him back then! It took him a few seasons to become appreciated. Probably a sign that we're a different more advanced club - an unexperienced Walker would not be what we need now.

Moura, Sarr, though not defenders have Walker-like pace. If we're going to play Aurier in a more attacking role, then we may as well have a potent attacking player in there imo. Of course, they have to defend too. Everyone does.

To be fair to Aurier he hasn't done too badly attacking. He's quick to get shots off, sends in okay crosses, but isn't as good running with the ball as Moura (or Sarr) and doesn't get around the back often.

There is an argument that a new left-back is more pressing. Too many positions in our side are like this - a number of decent options, possibilities and no clarity - no definite name on the team sheet. For example, Davies is decent defensively, he works as a kind of 3rd CB with Aurier getting forward. We also have Sessegnon, a player who can maraud forward down the wing (the boy simply needs to play one-twos). Then there is Rose who's experienced, determined, tenacious - probably the best of all 3 when focused and on his game. All could 'do a job', and potentially be excellent on their day. Yet are any of them consistent or good enough for our lofty aspirations? Similar applies to right back. Aurier might kick-on next season, now he seems more settled. Foyth showed some moments of class etc. In short, in midfield and defense, we don't have many 'first on the teamsheet' clear players outside Hugo.

Last edited:
I think you could be on to something - though there must be reasons why managers don't use wingers as auxiliary full backs more often if it were that obvious.

I didn't want to mention Walker as it may polarise the conversation BUT him and Rose is what we require power wise and need get back too, but hopefully players with better assist potential.

Last edited:
Back