• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

I am not sure it is, we are by no means out of this yet, predictions previously were normality by December so being cautious in July is not that big a deal? Surely?

I am talking from devils advocate place as i wanted the Sweden plan but from the shouting of lockdown being too late and rules to lapse I would have thought the Spain news would be applauded? Maybe would be if it did not impact peoples holiday plans?

Personally speaking our company asked people to consult with company if planning to go abroad before hand and would have wanted to know due to potential problems with return quarantine. That was all part of our lockdown comms plan.

The country will be in bits by Dec - jobless numbers will be going up and up.

sweden got a load of brick for what they did, however it’s looking they were correct - Countries that have completely locked down are screwed.

The country will be in bits by Dec - jobless numbers will be going up and up.

sweden got a load of brick for what they did, however it’s looking they were correct - Countries that have completely locked down are screwed.

I don't think Sweden's economy has done particularly well, around the same as the better performing European countries such as Denmark but where they do have an advantage is that behaviourally their population is used to doing all the things to avoid the spread which have now become a part of normal life e.g. regularly sanitizing, social distancing etc whereas in a lot of Europe it seems like as lockdown was eased people stopped or heavily reduced doing those things thinking it was all over.

I don't think Sweden's economy has done particularly well, around the same as the better performing European countries such as Denmark but where they do have an advantage is that behaviourally their population is used to doing all the things to avoid the spread which have now become a part of normal life e.g. regularly sanitizing, social distancing etc whereas in a lot of Europe it seems like as lockdown was eased people stopped or heavily reduced doing those things thinking it was all over.

They are predicting a 5-10% economic downturn for Sweden which seems low considering a global pandemic.

I think giving the options to do what day the U.K. are doing now gave people abit more balance than take it all away then give it back at a later date which meant more sensible movements. Knowing you can go to have a meal anytime drives a more sensible mental approach to going out where as people here just went batsh1t crazy once there was a glimmer of a pint.

Also by nature the Swedes are more chilled.

It’s all hindsight anyway but as we learn more their approach does seem more and more sensible.

I still wake up and find myself pausing -every day- to reflect on how utterly insane this all is.

it’s mental

we’ve either massively over reacted and killed a lot more people from cancers etc - job losses and ranked the economy

or we are it a situation where nothing will be ever go back to
The same again.

it’s mental

we’ve either massively over reacted and killed a lot more people from cancers etc - job losses and ranked the economy

The same again.
2nd one. We are now in the era of pandemics.

it’s mental

The same again.

Yeh the 2nd one for me too, maybe a slight mix.

Hindsight again from me but I think shielding the vulnerable when we knew early it was killing elderly and high risk and continuing with some normality would have been the best course of action. That’s Effectively what we are preparing To do now, go back to day 1 of virus but use what we know to do so, the virus is still out there.

I know a fair few people whose mental health has taken a huge turn because of the initial lockdown

I know a fair few people whose mental health has taken a huge turn because of the initial lockdown

Pretty certain this applies to a fairly close neighbour of mine. He's been no bother whatsoever for years, but since a few weeks into lockdown he's been blasting music at ridiculous volumes and at ridiculous hours. Hard not to draw the obvious conclusion...

Yeh the 2nd one for me too, maybe a slight mix.

Hindsight again from me but I think shielding the vulnerable when we knew early it was killing elderly and high risk and continuing with some normality would have been the best course of action. That’s Effectively what we are preparing To do now, go back to day 1 of virus but use what we know to do so, the virus is still out there.

As you suggest...
The use of a lockdown is basically just a reset button. As virus wise nothings (much) changed. (Maybe some better understanding on treatments and a handle on whose most affected. )

It gets you back to infection levels equivalent to the very start of the pandemic, and a chance to manage it again whilst learning from mistakes made the first time round.

A curve ball is although you are (hopefully) dealing better with the virus, you have a multitude of fallout from the symptoms of the pandemic, which to remedy could be just as hard.

On the train home to Glasgow after a morning in Edinburgh (that's long enough) and Edinburgh is empty. Never seen the Royal Mile so quiet, this must be having a huge impact on business, a lot of them haven't even opened up again.

Haha I was going to suggest it was that he was a selfish clam!

He's lived there for years and has never been any problem at all until this. There's an abundance of selfish clams around (including certain other neighbours of mine), but this guy ain't one of them. Pretty sure there's something going on with him.

Last edited:
Back