• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

Proud to say I was at Carlisle when he scored his first goal for us and proud that Belgium's most capped player chose to spend the best years of his career at our club.

Love ya mate!

Such a class player. Very sad to see him leave. I agree with the sentiment that it seems he realized he did not have the pace any more for the Premier League. So he bows out with his head held high. He can still operate at a very high level in another league for sure. Really sad he did not get a real send off. He deserved that. Will go down in my top 5 CB's to play for the club in my time for sure.

Randomly I once had the pleasure of meeting him after a game when I luckily scooped a ticket into the players’ lounge - a truly unforgettable experience.

It was a brief exchange, but one I’ll always remember - mainly because after a walk across the pitch on leaving the lounge, I awkwardly left him wrestling with his daughter’s pram in the players’ carpark.

He later told the friend I was with - who was friends with him - to apologise to me for not saying ‘goodbye’ properly! What a gent - I have always held him close to my heart since then and I’ll miss him greatly.

Good luck Super Jan and thanks for the memories. You’ve played a huge part in making the most enjoyable period of my Spurs supporting life the most enjoyable period of my Spurs supporting life.

Last edited:
As good as Jan was, better than Ledley? No one comes close for me.

I did think about it before saying what i did, i agree Ledley was great but for me Jan just topped him. Mind you if King had not suffered so much with injurys he may have gone onto become even better. As we know he suffered from injurys which must have stopped him from being even better then he was.

Last edited:

I'm a big fan of the idea of having Jan back as a 1st team coach or something along those lines when the timing is there. Depending on what he wants to do of course, the club could look to put him on a Scott Parker like path once his top level playing days are over. I guess the immediate question is whether now is the time to go back to Ajax or is there maybe a (no disrespect intended to Ajax) higher profile move before that?

2 years - Roma
1 year - Ajax
6 years later - Leads Spurs to PL title + FA cup double with Georges-Kévin Nkoudou as assistant manager

It's nice to dream sometimes.

Anyways, I don't know if there was another thread that I may have missed but I just wanted to post in appreciation of his immaculate service for the club. Slightly sombre thinking we won't see another SuperJan celebration at the lane. A stalwart through and through, heroic defending whilst being elegant to watch. Was very happy to sign him alongside our other long fancy name slick haired CB and what a partnership did they turn out to be. Giving us, Spurs fans of all people, the opportunity to see the team become one of the best defensive units in the league for at least a few seasons.

Was it the Dortmund game where he absolutely killed it from left back? A quick point on his versatility, unless I'm mistaken we never did see him in a DM role which is a shame but perhaps he wasn't suited; even still filling in at LB was crucial at times. I don't remember how he did in the end of season awards but I think it was often the case that he was our most reliable defender, even during AVB times when things were occasionally a bit dicey around him.

Thanks Jan, sounds like a proper gent and a great bloke to have had around the club for so long. Can't imagine there's a proper Spurs fan out there that wouldn't wish him anything but the best, hope he shows his face occasionally at the new stadium when possible. I will say there is without doubt a tinge of regret that he didn't lift a trophy during his time here, but I appreciate at this stage in his career he could potentially go to Juve for example and a title will be nailed on, alongside a whole different culture and footballing experience that I wouldn't begrudge him of by any means. Best of luck to the bestest Dutchest CB we've ever had and hopefully we'll see him in a bit!

I'm a big fan of the idea of having Jan back as a 1st team coach or something along those lines when the timing is there. Depending on what he wants to do of course, the club could look to put him on a Scott Parker like path once his top level playing days are over. I guess the immediate question is whether now is the time to go back to Ajax or is there maybe a (no disrespect intended to Ajax) higher profile move before that?

2 years - Roma
1 year - Ajax
6 years later - Leads Spurs to PL title + FA cup double with Georges-Kévin Nkoudou as assistant manager

It's nice to dream sometimes.

Anyways, I don't know if there was another thread that I may have missed but I just wanted to post in appreciation of his immaculate service for the club. Slightly sombre thinking we won't see another SuperJan celebration at the lane. A stalwart through and through, heroic defending whilst being elegant to watch. Was very happy to sign him alongside our other long fancy name slick haired CB and what a partnership did they turn out to be. Giving us, Spurs fans of all people, the opportunity to see the team become one of the best defensive units in the league for at least a few seasons.

Was it the Dortmund game where he absolutely killed it from left back? A quick point on his versatility, unless I'm mistaken we never did see him in a DM role which is a shame but perhaps he wasn't suited; even still filling in at LB was crucial at times. I don't remember how he did in the end of season awards but I think it was often the case that he was our most reliable defender, even during AVB times when things were occasionally a bit dicey around him.

Thanks Jan, sounds like a proper gent and a great bloke to have had around the club for so long. Can't imagine there's a proper Spurs fan out there that wouldn't wish him anything but the best, hope he shows his face occasionally at the new stadium when possible. I will say there is without doubt a tinge of regret that he didn't lift a trophy during his time here, but I appreciate at this stage in his career he could potentially go to Juve for example and a title will be nailed on, alongside a whole different culture and footballing experience that I wouldn't begrudge him of by any means. Best of luck to the bestest Dutchest CB we've ever had and hopefully we'll see him in a bit!

Amen brother.

I did think about it before saying what i did, i agree Ledley was great but for me Jan just topped him. Mind you if King had not suffered so much with injurys he may have gone onto become even better. As we know he suffered from injurys which must have stopped him from being even better then he was.
Just imagine them as a pair!

Back