• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Fight for Europa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly the attitude I’m taking Ricky. All I’m saying is I’m not doing what some are and worry about who needs to do what for us to qualify. If we’re in it then fine, let’s go and see if we can win the thing. But if we aren’t, I really wouldn’t mind at all and would greatly help us having a real good go at the league again and focusing on propelling us back up to where we should be.....

I don't think being in the EL makes much of a difference to us in attracting players when we already have far bigger carrots on offer.....including being in the Premier League, being in London, the wages we can offer (relative to most other leagues in the world), Jose Mourinho and some of the other stellar names in our squad list.

I think clubs from provincial settings (Wolves, Burnley, Leicester) may need the Europa League to convince players to join them.

Re finances - yes the prize and broadcasting money is negligible compared to the Champions League but every time our stadium is opened up it, even for lower attended Europa games against Dinamo Donuts probably generates £500k in revenue; over a 6 game campaign that's £3m+

We need to assess carefully how good we are as a squad going into an Europa League campaign....

If you take Man U (16/17) and Arsenal (17/18 and 18/19) who both reached at least the SF of the competition at the expense of a Top 4 finish you need to ask the question did being in the Europa League make them a poor PL team or were they in the Europa League because they had a poor PL team (relative to the teams above them)?

i.e. did Arsenal drop points at Brighton, Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Bournemouth etc immediately after playing in the EL because their excursions on the Thursday meant they played badly on the sunday or were they a poor team/squad lacking the consistency to play well and win twice in the space of 4 days.

We need to win a trophy - to get the monkey off our back and to get that winning meteorology in the club.
The more competitions we are - the better.
The group stage will be pretty straight forward (in theory) and we will be able to break in our youngsters - give parrot and skip more games.
Mourinho will want to win this as well and take a much different approach to poch.

Lol - meteorology....

This, this this.

I don't think being in the EL makes much of a difference to us in attracting players when we already have far bigger carrots on offer.....including being in the Premier League, being in London, the wages we can offer (relative to most other leagues in the world), Jose Mourinho and some of the other stellar names in our squad list.

I think clubs from provincial settings (Wolves, Burnley, Leicester) may need the Europa League to convince players to join them.

Re finances - yes the prize and broadcasting money is negligible compared to the Champions League but every time our stadium is opened up it, even for lower attended Europa games against Dinamo Donuts probably generates £500k in revenue; over a 6 game campaign that's £3m+
Spot on GDPR
Also, I like watching Spurs on TV, so if we are on every Thursday I will watch it avidly, whether it is kids or first team or a mix.

I agree that if he plays young players then that helps make it more attractive.

This was mentioned earlier but if we got through the group stage using the likes of Skipp, Tanganga, KWP, maybe even Parrott with a bit of experience in there I see no downsides to the competition. If players are affected by the odd flight and having to play twice a week then we have bigger problems. As displayed currently though, despite being tired the players seem able to execute the game plan even with the overload of games.

@Kandi1977 Okay fair point but we may as well treat it as if it's in our own hands by treating Palace like a final. At least if the worst happens we know we had done enough on our part. It may be a sky sports conditioning thing what with Utd's decline but 6th seems a hell of a lot better than 7th, it shows at least a part salvage of the season. I Would really miss the chance to eventually play against some of the best in Europe + the group stage games are easy enough to get tickets for (whenever that kicks back in to gear)

that's bonkers.

Here is the money

Europa League prize money 2019/20

Prize money accumulates as the rounds progress

• Reaching the group stages: £2.3m
  • Reaching the round of 32: £0.4m
  • Reaching the round of 16: £0.9m
  • Reaching the quarter-finals: £1.2m
  • Reaching the semi-finals: £2m
  • Reaching the final: £3.7m
  • Winning the final: £3.3m
  • Total for winning Europa League: £13.8m
Plus:
  • £0.5m per group stage win
  • £0.2m per group stage draw
  • £0.8m for group stage winners
  • £0.4m for group stage runners up
Whilst it’s barely half of what we made from making CL final, a £39m prize + TV money boost to the coffers ain’t to be sniffed at and (as other’s have mentioned) that’s not including the £millions from match day takings and sponsorship we’d be missing out on.

Last edited:
Do we know the difference if any between what stage we enter the EL whether we end 6th or 7th?

Presumably no idea yet on dates the ties are played?

Do we know the difference if any between what stage we enter the EL whether we end 6th or 7th?

Presumably no idea yet on dates the ties are played?

5th and 6th go straight into the group stage. 7th go into the second qualifying round and have to play 3 teams to qualify for the group stage.
Or if Arsenal win the Cup, 5th and Arsenal go straight into the group stage. 6th go into the second qualifying round and have to play 3 teams to qualify for the group stage.

The schedule is already decided:

"The tournament would originally have started in June 2020, but had been delayed to August due to the COVID-19 pandemic in Europe.[38] The new schedule was announced by the UEFA Executive Committee on 17 June 2020.[39]

All qualifying matches, including the play-off round, will be played as single leg matches, hosted by one of the teams decided by draw, and will be played behind closed doors.[1][40] Matches may also be played on Tuesdays or Wednesdays instead of the regular Thursdays due to scheduling conflicts. Video assistant referees will not be introduced for the group phase as planned (now to start in 2021–22), but will still be used in the knockout stage."

Second qualifying round - 17 September 2020
Third qualifying round - 24 September 2020
Play-off Play-off round 1 - October 2020
Group stage Matchday 1 - 22 October 2020

The Premier League season is starting on the 12th September.

So to go through qualifying is 6 extra matches? Ouch!

I guess the only positive is that extra matches can allow us to get up to top fitness quicker (and test ideas from the training ground etc.)

So to go through qualifying is 6 extra matches? Ouch!

I guess the only positive is that extra matches can allow us to get up to top fitness quicker (and test ideas from the training ground etc.)

Three games as they are played over one leg due to the tighter schedule forced by the pandemic.

Quite a difference though if the goons win the final.

Also the play off round you could draw a decent side and have to play the tie away, so not certain we’d make it to the group!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back