• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Fight for Europa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally agree - if they just made it a two-legged knockout competition between 32 teams, it would be a brilliant competition.

Instead they add another 16 of the bricktiest teams in Europe, add a dull group stage, and then thrown in the 8 losers from the CL before the knockout phase even begins. If we qualify for the playoff round (i.e. one round before the group stage), we'll have to play 17 matches in order to win the competition - almost half an entire PL season!
But it will give Jose a chance to play the young players who wouldn’t get games elsewhere
And it also means he can keep certain players we may normally sell

But it will give Jose a chance to play the young players who wouldn’t get games elsewhere
And it also means he can keep certain players we may normally sell
Exactly. We have a squad that's set up to play European football, though there are some shortcomings.

We have a squad that's used to playing twice a week.

The money from the EL isn't enough to spend big, or spend at all really. But it's enough to cover some of our pandemic losses and allowing us to keep our squad at good size.

Totally agree - if they just made it a two-legged knockout competition between 32 teams, it would be a brilliant competition.

Instead they add another 16 of the bricktiest teams in Europe, add a dull group stage, and then thrown in the 8 losers from the CL before the knockout phase even begins. If we qualify for the playoff round (i.e. one round before the group stage), we'll have to play 17 matches in order to win the competition - almost half an entire PL season!

that's bonkers.

Here is the money

Europa League prize money 2019/20

Prize money accumulates as the rounds progress

• Reaching the group stages: £2.3m
  • Reaching the round of 32: £0.4m
  • Reaching the round of 16: £0.9m
  • Reaching the quarter-finals: £1.2m
  • Reaching the semi-finals: £2m
  • Reaching the final: £3.7m
  • Winning the final: £3.3m
  • Total for winning Europa League: £13.8m
Plus:
  • £0.5m per group stage win
  • £0.2m per group stage draw
  • £0.8m for group stage winners
  • £0.4m for group stage runners up

It's a two edged sword, if we don';t qualify then players may not join us and also players may leave. If we do qualify that's a lot of extra games for relatively little extra income but players may stay or join us.

I'd sooner qualify than not purely for player retention.

It's a two edged sword, if we don';t qualify then players may not join us and also players may leave. If we do qualify that's a lot of extra games for relatively little extra income but players may stay or join us.

I don’t really buy into players joining us to play in the Europa League - Champions League sure, we could potentially attract some of the best players, but the Europa? Not for me. That top quality level wouldn’t be interested in joining us unless we qualify for CL or offer ridiculous wages. The next level down of player would join us anyway, because we are one of the top English sides who offer decent wages - being in the Europa League or not I seriously doubt would affect players’ decisions in coming to us....

I don’t really buy into players joining us to play in the Europa League - Champions League sure, we could potentially attract some of the best players, but the Europa? Not for me. That top quality level wouldn’t be interested in joining us unless we qualify for CL or offer ridiculous wages. The next level down of player would join us anyway, because we are one of the top English sides who offer decent wages - being in the Europa League or not I seriously doubt would affect players’ decisions in coming to us....
Well look at everyone’s favourite Holdberg... us or Everton? Everton will pay more IMO but we can offer European footy

I doubt any players of note will be joining clubs for the prospect of playing FC Pigfarmer in Siberia this October.

Like I said, we are the attraction because we are one of the biggest in the league - you reckon if we didn’t get Europa Holdberg would say he doesn’t want to come, and pick Everton? No chance....
If Everton offer him £20k a week more he may.

Its also useful for getting young players experience, which helps get them ready for the CL in future. If we end up in the EL, I'd like to see players like Tanganga, Skipp, Sessegnon, Parrott, Foyth if he's still around starting each of the games alongside some people like Toby, Moura, Winks, maybe Dele etc. It would be a good enough team to get though the group stages. Perhaps only roll out Kane, Son, GLC, Dier, Lloris for one of the home games each

Due to the delayed schedule the qualifying rounds for the 2020/21 Europa League are single leg matches. However, no English team will start in the play-off round. The lowest placed of the entrants that qualify through the PL will start in the 2nd qualifying round of the EL - two rounds before the play-off round.

Due to the delayed schedule the qualifying rounds for the 2020/21 Europa League are single leg matches. However, no English team will start in the play-off round. The lowest placed of the entrants that qualify through the PL will start in the 2nd qualifying round of the EL - two rounds before the play-off round.

Thanks for the info.

:eek:o_O:confused:

Let's hope we finish 6th and Chelsea win the League Cup!

I dont believe being in the EL will encourage top players to join us, Watford managed to get Dacoure and Richarlinson, Leicester Kante and Mahrez and Wolves for a shed load without being in Europe. We dont have a strong enough squad to field weaker teams, we have no DM or cover for Kane, goalkeeping is not strong or good cover at fullbacks. We could win it but I believe it would effect our performance in other games and all our eggs would be in one basket.

Its also useful for getting young players experience, which helps get them ready for the CL in future. If we end up in the EL, I'd like to see players like Tanganga, Skipp, Sessegnon, Parrott, Foyth if he's still around starting each of the games alongside some people like Toby, Moura, Winks, maybe Dele etc. It would be a good enough team to get though the group stages. Perhaps only roll out Kane, Son, GLC, Dier, Lloris for one of the home games each
If we treat it like we did the Intertoto and send kids out there with a coaching staff that aren't involved in the normal day to day, I'll be happy.

Mourinho doesn't have time to waste on it and I certainly wouldn't want to see any first teamers going.

Might be useful to get match fitness into players recovering from injury though.

It is a double edge sword BUT on here there does appear to be a swing towards 'lets do it' 'wed have a great chance of winning' . I'm not sure if that's because of Jose's comments about it and his strike rate in the comp BUT the majority before poo poo'd the workload of the comp and belittled it when we were CL mainstays.

I'm indifferent either way, but I can easily see fans bemoaning it come next season if we are suffering schedule and injury wise. Especially if someone like Arsenal ain't in it and appear to be benefitting from it. Although it is an extra route back into the CL it more probably has a higher chance of scuppering (perceived or otherwise) a return to the CL thru our league position. And 2 years out of the CL becomes problematic, for income and player retention.

Not being in it would give Jose maximum time to work with the players and by continuation less reason for him to start (rightly or wrongly) bitching about something.

I would rather we are in it and tried to win it, they say winning builds success and we need to win something with this team from a mentality point of view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back