• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer thread

Kondogbia at Valencia

Any good as another DM option?
He was bloody good
Seems to have gone right off the boil
He is very similar to Docoure in that he can play defensive or box to box
Off the back of his recent season he could go anyway, but I’d say maybe West Ham rather than us as we need solid players rather than speculative ones

I think he may be better at headed duels as he maybe fights for them more.. I really don’t know. It’s just one of the metrics they publish. He is statistically better on all the elements other than tackles and that can’t be because he played a few games at FB
I do agree that Holdberg would be a step up on the current DM we don’t have and clearly Jose rates him which is key.
i do also think we will be outbid as we have a value I mind.
But what's the value of those other stats to evaluate a DM? Particularly when compared to other aspects such as positioning, discipline, concentration, consistency, things that are hard to measure using stats.

Then there's the point that there are a lot of other stats available to those that want to pay for them. I agree, we don't get the raw data, but that doesn't mean what we do get is completely meaningless.

And, again, a higher number does not necessarily mean better. One of our very best players in recent decades in that position was Carrick, not exactly an all action ball winning DM.

To me the comparison with Ward Prowse should end with the conclusion that Ward Prowse is also quite good at some of these things. Good for him, good for Southampton. Tells us little to nothing about Hojbjerg who as far as I can tell has good defensive stats.

Or do you have some kind of threshold in mind that Hojbjerg should have reached on these stats to be "good enough"?

But what's the value of those other stats to evaluate a DM? Particularly when compared to other aspects such as positioning, discipline, concentration, consistency, things that are hard to measure using stats.

Then there's the point that there are a lot of other stats available to those that want to pay for them. I agree, we don't get the raw data, but that doesn't mean what we do get is completely meaningless.

And, again, a higher number does not necessarily mean better. One of our very best players in recent decades in that position was Carrick, not exactly an all action ball winning DM.

To me the comparison with Ward Prowse should end with the conclusion that Ward Prowse is also quite good at some of these things. Good for him, good for Southampton. Tells us little to nothing about Hojbjerg who as far as I can tell has good defensive stats.

Or do you have some kind of threshold in mind that Hojbjerg should have reached on these stats to be "good enough"?
No
As Ive said when I’ve seen them he hasn’t been noticed,
TBF that’s also usually against us when we beat them
when I’ve watched them lately and they have played great he didn’t play e.g. City at home , United away
But that threshold is surely benchmarking one player against another to get that benchmark otherwise you may have one that’s not achievable

No
As Ive said when I’ve seen them he hasn’t been noticed,
TBF that’s also usually against us when we beat them
when I’ve watched them lately and they have played great he didn’t play e.g. City at home , United away
But that threshold is surely benchmarking one player against another to get that benchmark otherwise you may have one that’s not achievable
I find it difficult to know which parts of your post is in response to what I've said.

I thought you were saying that Ward Prowse is performing well in these stats. Hojbjerg is performing at a similar level, isn't that a good thing?

I find it difficult to know which parts of your post is in response to what I've said.

I thought you were saying that Ward Prowse is performing well in these stats. Hojbjerg is performing at a similar level, isn't that a good thing?
I was mainly responding to the threshold that PEH should have passed.
and also about watching a player to see the bigger picture like Carrick who you used as an example rather than just stats

Maybe Everton will pick him up

I look at what this guy has to say from time to time

It was his comments on the last word podcast the other week i picked up on around son and moura not being clever players but playe who need coaching guidance... basically exactly what has happened lately for us to get the results
I don’t always agree with his player selection comments in transfers but he was spot on on that

We’ve been linked to Zaniolo again. I’d like to see us sign him. Sell NDombele to the highest bidder, and bring in Zaniolo. After all, doesn’t seem like Ndombele has a future with us, so may as well cash in and replace. For the record, I’d like to see Ndombele succeed with us but it’s not looking likely.

We’ve been linked to Zaniolo again. I’d like to see us sign him. Sell NDombele to the highest bidder, and bring in Zaniolo. After all, doesn’t seem like Ndombele has a future with us, so may as well cash in and replace. For the record, I’d like to see Ndombele succeed with us but it’s not looking likely.
upload_2020-7-22_23-45-18.jpeg

All this QPR talk makes me wonder about Jack Clark. Is he the worst bit of business we’ve done in recent years?

£10m spent on a player who couldn’t even get into the team we bought him from!

So we then loan him to a club even lower than the one we bought him from, and he can’t even get into that team either.

Would we have been better just giving Leeds a £10m donation, forgetting about the player, and just save ourselves the wages and other hassle???!

All this QPR talk makes me wonder about Jack Clark. Is he the worst bit of business we’ve done in recent years?

£10m spent on a player who couldn’t even get into the team we bought him from!

So we then loan him to a club even lower than the one we bought him from, and he can’t even get into that team either.

Would we have been better just giving Leeds a £10m donation, forgetting about the player, and just save ourselves the wages and other hassle???!
He is still very young. It was a slightly strange signing though, quite a lot of money to pay for a player that the manager didn’t want. I can only assume he was a David Pleat recommendation and to be fair to him Pleaty has a decent record.

Back