• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino

I’m convinced the Be Brave was we can’t get anyone I want so we’re being brave in not signing anyone
No one can show me anything to convince me different. That was also a time when we signed his two favourites on very long term contracts (Kane and Alli)

I agree, for one window, but I suspect poch was expecting the money not spent one window to roll over to the next, which it didn't.
Now maybe that was levys intention as well but the stadium delays meant a change of priorities.
As gutted as I am by how it's all turned out I find it difficult to actually blame Levy or poch.
Sometimes events just don't pan out the way you want them to. I'm sure they both have regrets.

I agree, for one window, but I suspect poch was expecting the money not spent one window to roll over to the next, which it didn't.
Now maybe that was levys intention as well but the stadium delays meant a change of priorities.
As gutted as I am by how it's all turned out I find it difficult to actually blame Levy or poch.
Sometimes events just don't pan out the way you want them to. I'm sure they both have regrets.
No one does big business in January but that may have been Pochs thought, I don’t know
As I say I think he would have looked at who we could afford and thought nah... I’d rather stick with what I have
Doesn’t mean he didn’t want better but it doesn’t mean we could get better either

Everyone waxes about Levy's delivery of the stadium. No-one recognises Poch's vital role in the process. Those CL placings ahead of "schedule" plus his unifying spirit certainly were worth their weight in finances...
I think quite a few of us recognise that Steff. It was beyond Levy's predictions. Maybe Poch should have said ' you have set out my targets, and budgeted according to that, if I surpass them, I want the benefit from that, for the team'...?

I’m convinced the Be Brave was we can’t get anyone I want so we’re being brave in not signing anyone
No one can show me anything to convince me different. That was also a time when we signed his two favourites on very long term contracts (Kane and Alli)
'Being brave' was prepping us for the steps he intended to take.

Levy was clear with him that any cash for the pot was minimal (at that stage) BUT allowed Poch (rightfully so, as he was getting results) free reign to manage the squad as he saw fit. The 'brave' bit was his willingness to let Toby, Eriksen, Rose, Dembele, (maybe others?) all go, with the positive being he could use any cash for transfers. It was 'i know these players look like important members of the team, but trust me' .

Of course this was all part (and the beginning) of the painful rebuild. It was a good plan that hardly any of was executed as many we couldn't shift. I don't apportion massive blame on anyone for that, but a side effect was it kicked a whole load of squad surgery down the road and left us with what is best described as a stinking stagnated pool of players.

We are washing ourselves slowly of that situation BUT a bad smell does appear to linger.

It was a tough time economically but if Toby had gone, if Man U had allowed Martial to come the other way, and in hindsight selling CE when we should have got 80/90m should have just been enough to keep the wheels oiled.

Last edited:
I came across this at TFC recently - it's a post from an SCBC fan from all the way back in the summer of 2014, when Poch moving to Spurs was confirmed. I remembered it then, and coming across it now just left me amazed at how right that bloke was.

'Saints fan in peace.
To those of you bitching and moaning about MP let me give you some context.

I am and have been a Saints fan for over 30 years. Season ticket holder since I was 7 (With the exception of two separate years - when kids and finances dictated) and have seen players and managers come and go, which is part of the game.

I've seen players like Channon, Ball, Shilton, Wright, Keegan, Williams, Wallace, Shearer, Hoddle (You lot again) Walcott, Bale, Chamberlain etc. etc. all leave.
Not one of those departures hurts as much as this one.
I genuinely think you now have one of the best managers in the league. He is completely different from anything else you have seen. Not all players will survive his arrival - Including big names, but for those of you that are moaning..... take yourselves back to the first half at White Hart Lane against the Saints...... We battered you, humiliated you and then gave away a bizarre goal and let you back in. Your squad won't let that happen - More maturity, depth and quality.

Enjoy the ride - And you will get one.'

'Not one of those departures hurts as much as this one....enjoy the ride...'

'...and you will get one.'

He was right. What a beautiful ride it was. :)

c6aae8823b3753178aa17fa3d35ff174

That’s a BIG issue
Why didn’t we spend £100m seasons ago when we didn’t buy anyone... maybe we didnt have it then

Agree - but that was the time to embark on serious succession planning. Buy cheap young prospects in positions we would need them in a couple of years - ie replacing Dembele and a back up Centre Forward. And not letting all our full backs leave and both our centre halves decline at the same time. And not buy a succession of wingers when we were already well stocked in that position.
That’s why we needed (and still need) a DoF.

Agree - but that was the time to embark on serious succession planning. Buy cheap young prospects in positions we would need them in a couple of years - ie replacing Dembele and a back up Centre Forward. And not letting all our full backs leave and both our centre halves decline at the same time. And not buy a succession of wingers when we were already well stocked in that position.
That’s why we needed (and still need) a DoF.
Can’t argue with that at all but I believe we’re giving Poch players he was ok with in physio an he wanted, rather than possibly the players he wanted as we couldn’t afford them. He couldn’t change that pigs ear, and more worryingly he binned then off quickly too which meant their value was much lower than what we paid for them
The ones he liked and played actually were sold for good money (trippier and wimmer for example)

Back