• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

That base is not complete without a decent DCM.

All we are doing is giving the defence massive protection in a low/medium block, as soon as we want to become more expansive the old issues will raise their heads again. Centrally we need to be more solid. Poch had 3 brick walls to choose from...we have now?
I guess that is why Mourinho is interested in Hojbjerg, a proper positional DM, who is physical yet can pass and dribble well. DM is by far and away the easiest position for us to upgrade in our team. If we could only sign one single player this next window then it needs to be a DM. I think Jose would get this team in and around the top 4 with a proper DM added to it.

I guess that is why Mourinho is interested in Hojbjerg, a proper positional DM, who is physical yet can pass and dribble well. DM is by far and away the easiest position for us to upgrade in our team. If we could only sign one single player this next window then it needs to be a DM. I think Jose would get this team in and around the top 4 with a proper DM added to it.

As he's been enjoying pointing out of late, he'd already have us in the top 4 base on his results so far. He'd be confident of doing even better if we get a couple more additions that really fit his vision.

Credit to him for sure. He has the players playing as he wants, he has them committed and he has seemingly sorted out our defense. He has Lucas playing as well as he has here, Lloris, Kane and Toby are at their 2017/18 levels and if things continue like this, then his version will enjoy a fine season it seems. Glad to see it happening, glad to be able to take increasing time-off from my concerns about him, happy if he continues to have me on vacation from said-concerns! The cohesion has been excellent recently.

I agree a decent DCM is the priority. Hopefully Hojberg is that (as he appears very gettable). Then if that allows us to be more expansive, an upgrade at FBs would be next.

As a sidenote, no EL would enhance our chances of top 4 as much as any player (I'm not saying I don't want to be in it...just my view of the outcome of not being in it)

Credit to him for sure. He has the players playing as he wants, he has them committed and he has seemingly sorted out our defense. He has Lucas playing as well as he has here, Lloris, Kane and Toby are at their 2017/18 levels and if things continue like this, then his version will enjoy a fine season it seems. Glad to see it happening, glad to be able to take increasing time-off from my concerns about him, happy if he continues to have me on vacation from said-concerns! The cohesion has been excellent recently.
Thank you for posting this.
It's early days.

That base is not complete without a decent DCM.

All we are doing is giving the defence massive protection in a low/medium block, as soon as we want to become more expansive the old issues will raise their heads again. Centrally we need to be more solid. Poch had 3 brick walls to choose from...we have now?

Could not agree more about a DM i have been posting/ saying that for a while, i know others see our priority as fullbacks but imo our number one position to fill is DM. I still believe Dier could do a good job there but buying someone who will make that position his own is a must.

Could not agree more about a DM i have been posting/ saying that for a while, i know others see our priority as fullbacks but imo our number one position to fill is DM. I still believe Dier could do a good job there but buying someone who will make that position his own is a must.
I think I’m the only one who bangs the drum for the need to replace the FBs well RB as a priority
I honestly think intelligence will always carry more weight defensively and i believe we are constantly exposed wide in a way that a DM can’t fix, and it due to the imcompetence of the FBs who make goal scoring errors (just look at the last two we conceded for evidence)
If someone can tell me how a DM will fix that I’m all ears ....

I think I’m the only one who bangs the drum for the need to replace the FBs well RB as a priority
I honestly think intelligence will always carry more weight defensively and i believe we are constantly exposed wide in a way that a DM can’t fix, and it due to the imcompetence of the FBs who make goal scoring errors (just look at the last two we conceded for evidence)

A good solid DM can shield all the back four and cover when needed, he can also see where the danger is going to come from and act on it. There are other strengths to having a DM ( just think back to the days of Wanyama, Wilson, Roberts ( i know he also played CB) and see how they made us look more compact.

I am not suggesting that our FBs are the best around but our defence is over run on most occasions because we lack a player who dominates in front of them. But i accept that you think upgrading our FBs will solve some of the problem but just look at the sides that have been strong over the years and they all have a very good DM in front of the back, we do not and it shows.

Stop! Hammer time. :)

A good solid DM can shield all the back four and cover when needed, he can also see where the danger is going to come from and act on it. There are other strengths to having a DM ( just think back to the days of Wanyama, Wilson, Roberts ( i know he also played CB) and see how they made us look more compact.

I am not suggesting that our FBs are the best around but our defence is over run on most occasions because we lack a player who dominates in front of them. But i accept that you think upgrading our FBs will solve some of the problem but just look at the sides that have been strong over the years and they all have a very good DM in front of the back, we do not and it shows.

Stop! Hammer time. :)

Lets just get a RB AND a DM in this window. If the DM is Hojbderg, he's not costing that much so a RB as well id doable if we sell off some fringe players.

The pain in the arse is Ndombele as with a decent incoming DM him and La Celso could be set up perfectly BUT he looks more of a problem now than a solution.

Lets just get a RB AND a DM in this window. If the DM is Hojbderg, he's not costing that much so a RB as well id doable if we sell off some fringe players.

The pain in the arse is Ndombele as with a decent incoming DM him and La Celso could be set up perfectly BUT he looks more of a problem now than a solution.
Agree with this
The way we’re smashed down our right hand side is scary
And also the way we can’t currently used Tubby is too as he has the talent
Of two players can fix us I’ll take it
And I’ve said before add in a CF cover and alternative to Kane and we will be 10% better straight away

Agree with this
The way we’re smashed down our right hand side is scary
And also the way we can’t currently used Tubby is too as he has the talent
Of two players can fix us I’ll take it
And I’ve said before add in a CF cover and alternative to Kane and we will be 10% better straight away
Ndombele is so frustrating....as if he'd added what we thought he was going to add then we'd be looking at a new DM to back up him and La Celso, who'd provide all the string pulling and forward passing we'd ever need.

That would then leave 3 others to pick (in a 433 or diamond) from Kane Son Moura Dele Bergwijn Lamela ie the midfield and forwards looking more than healthy.

With Winks Sissoko Skipp as cover. Dier if desperate. (i actually think Winks might be more suited to a less defensive critical roll like La Celso and Ndombele would occupy). I would slightly worry about Ndombele being on the right of a diamond or 3 along with Aurier at right back? (Hence a new proper starting 11 RB would be fantastic).

FWIW i'd move on from Ndombele....it's a distraction for Jose and disruptive to our plans if it continues on (we're in early stages of a rebuild ffs)....not saying it wont work out....but id rather not take the chance, especially as we'll probably get a decent fee for him.

How could those transitions and counter attacks have been more fluid???

I watched the whole game. We haven't been fluid for some time even before Jose. Mourinho teams of recent years haven't been fluid either. I like the way we played under peak Poch. I'm guessing you knew this was my point.

We need to be better with the ball whoever the manager and his style of play is ...

We need to give our defending some respite and we do that by the having a better DM and full-backs ... At the moment, all to often the ball is given up cheaply in the wide areas...

We need to be better with the ball whoever the manager and his style of play is ...

We need to give our defending some respite and we do that by the having a better DM and full-backs ... At the moment, all to often the ball is given up cheaply in the wide areas...
Our full backs are quite good on the ball, obviously not top level, but I'm not sure we can expect to get top level. Aurier is more ambitious and does make some errors whereas Davies is more tidy and steady. Both want the ball and try to pass it with purpose though.

For me they are not the main culprits, and fixing our buildup play against good high pressing and against bus parking teams won't be easily solved by signing new full backs.

For me the problem is that we have a "DM" in Sissoko that mostly goes hiding when teams press us. He doesn't want to receive the ball under pressure. We also have a centre back in Sanchez that's rather average on the ball. At our best we had two outstanding ball playing centre backs.

Assuming we want to play more like Mourinho has us playing now we need a DM. Get someone that's at least good under pressure and a somewhat effective passer. Someone that doesn't hide when we have the ball. Play Dier and Alderweireld. I think that's the easiest, most realistic way to improve is in these areas.

Our full backs are quite good on the ball, obviously not top level, but I'm not sure we can expect to get top level. Aurier is more ambitious and does make some errors whereas Davies is more tidy and steady. Both want the ball and try to pass it with purpose though.

For me they are not the main culprits, and fixing our buildup play against good high pressing and against bus parking teams won't be easily solved by signing new full backs.

For me the problem is that we have a "DM" in Sissoko that mostly goes hiding when teams press us. He doesn't want to receive the ball under pressure. We also have a centre back in Sanchez that's rather average on the ball. At our best we had two outstanding ball playing centre backs.

Assuming we want to play more like Mourinho has us playing now we need a DM. Get someone that's at least good under pressure and a somewhat effective passer. Someone that doesn't hide when we have the ball. Play Dier and Alderweireld. I think that's the easiest, most realistic way to improve is in these areas.
And control the middle of the park which is key

I agree. A top DM should be our first priority.

Edit: sorry, I will re-phrase that. A top DM should be our first priority to sign as a player. However, I still believe our top priority should be a top DoF . We desperately need to sort out our transfer strategy which has been shambolic now for a number of years.

Last edited:
Back