• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer thread

I listened to a recent interview with Hojbjerg. He's ambitious, doesn't seem unintelligent and is also aware that he maybe didn't conduct himself as well as he could earlier in his career. It's hard to picture him choosing to join a club that is definitely not in Europe next season and is currently around the same level as Southampton.

No matter how smoothly Ancelotti may speak, the upward trajectory is harder to plot from Goodison than it is from Tottenham.

And if some of this very recent rumour flurry has been some sort of pressure game from Southampton to get us to lodge a higher bid than we were considering, I can only picture Levy chuckling "amateurs" as he sips a brandy tonight.

Last edited:
This Hojbjerg saga will be a mess. Less than a year left on his contract and determined to go to Spurs. Levy has no money to spend.
Inevitable that it will go down to the last 2 days on transfer window. Thats 2 and half months away yet!

Hope that's not true. Anyone know if those are at all reliable sources?
I had a quick look.
The first is a local Southampton journo. So my read would be he's more likely to be fed a line from the club than have an inside track from a particular player.

The bottom one is a Talksport 'journalist'. Looking on his Twitter page shows he's authored a book about Arsenal...
And he's recently posted a bit of a backtrack on the Done Deal clickbait.

Last edited:
Or if they value a lower bid now
They maybe think keep him for a year and see what he does then, and they lose nothing as it would cost more to replace him if he is that good

Possibly. They've already stripped him of the captaincy because he wants to leave. They may not want him around if relations are poor and £20m now as opposed to nothing in a year will be a consideration.

Lot of talk on here about the need to sign leaders/mentally strong players.

The more I watch Jack Grealish the more he looks that type. Forget the hair, the shin pads and tight shorts. He’s dragged a poor side off the floor and looks the sort of player if you gave a 5 year contract to would owe you absolutely nothing by the end.

In the post match interview he didn’t sound too sure about staying but the big sticking point (for us) will be the fee.

How is it like for like when one player has played significantly more football and that isn't factored in?

I can appreciate different approaches to analysing stats. I struggle to see the advantages of ignoring playing time.
I never mentioned playing time in my original stats did I?
I just shared like for like as it’s how it’s published.
i wants ignoring playing time just highlighting that a DM should have better defensive stats than a creative player
And it can be argued that when players get brought in if their not starting has a big impact too but that doesnt show in those stats I posted as their basic stats
I did post mine though 4 games ago which means taking off those games mean WP played 3150 give or take ET
And PEH has played 2647 in comparison (29.4 Games vs WP 35 games)
But again for comparison and using that data like for like Per 90 mins
Blocks WP 0.4 PEH 0.17
Interceptions WP 1.7 PEH 1.56
Tackle attempts WP 2.6 PEH 2.72
Tackles made WP 1.34 PEH 1.66
Headed Clearances WP 1.08 PEH 0.78
Aerial battles wine WP 2.08 PEH 1.87

I didnt choose these stats, there published on the premier league site stats centre and they use OPTA I believe

I never mentioned playing time in my original stats did I?
I just shared like for like as it’s how it’s published.
i wants ignoring playing time just highlighting that a DM should have better defensive stats than a creative player
And it can be argued that when players get bought in if their not starting has a big impact too but that doesnt show in those stats I posted as their basic stats
I did post mine though 4 games ago which means taking off those games mean WP played 3150 give or take ET
And PEH has played 2647 in comparison (29.4 Games vs WP 35 games)
But again for comparison and using that data like for like Per 90 mins
Blocks WP 0.4 PEH 0.17
Interceptions WP 1.7 PEH 1.56
Tackle attempts WP 2.6 PEH 2.72
Tackles made WP 1.34 PEH 1.66
Headed Clearances WP 1.08 PEH 0.78
Aerial battles wine WP 2.08 PEH 1.87

I didnt choose these stats, there published on the premier league site stats centre and they use OPTA I believe
No, you didn't mention playing time.

I do remember you saying that Ward Prowse made more tackles, referring to those stats. I have a much easier time having a conversion based on those stats than pure accumulation stats, I still don't understand if, or why, you disagree.

Not sure what to make of the headed duels. I have a very hard time thinking that Ward Prowse is actually better in the air than Hojbjerg, would guess it's a result of the different roles they have at set pieces and such. What do you think?

I'll say again that the stats for Ward Prowse are good, but for reasons outlined before I don't think he's a realistic target or a better fit for us.

I'll also repeat another previously mentioned point. Those stats say nothing about positioning, consentration and decision making.

There are many ways to play as a DM. I don't think judging a DM based on how many tackles, interceptions and duels they win alone makes sense. I think those numbers for both Hojbjerg and Ward Prowse are somewhere in the good, acceptable, not overwhelming category.

To me it's a box ticked for Hojbjerg. A player we're reportedly interested in, a player I think would be a good fit for other reasons. While some of the "filtered stats" seem to indicate that there's might be more interesting stats to look at.

No, you didn't mention playing time.

I do remember you saying that Ward Prowse made more tackles, referring to those stats. I have a much easier time having a conversion based on those stats than pure accumulation stats, I still don't understand if, or why, you disagree.

Not sure what to make of the headed duels. I have a very hard time thinking that Ward Prowse is actually better in the air than Hojbjerg, would guess it's a result of the different roles they have at set pieces and such. What do you think?

I'll say again that the stats for Ward Prowse are good, but for reasons outlined before I don't think he's a realistic target or a better fit for us.

I'll also repeat another previously mentioned point. Those stats say nothing about positioning, consentration and decision making.

There are many ways to play as a DM. I don't think judging a DM based on how many tackles, interceptions and duels they win alone makes sense. I think those numbers for both Hojbjerg and Ward Prowse are somewhere in the good, acceptable, not overwhelming category.

To me it's a box ticked for Hojbjerg. A player we're reportedly interested in, a player I think would be a good fit for other reasons. While some of the "filtered stats" seem to indicate that there's might be more interesting stats to look at.
I think he may be better at headed duels as he maybe fights for them more.. I really don’t know. It’s just one of the metrics they publish. He is statistically better on all the elements other than tackles and that can’t be because he played a few games at FB
I do agree that Holdberg would be a step up on the current DM we don’t have and clearly Jose rates him which is key.
i do also think we will be outbid as we have a value I mind.

A lot of people on this forum and more so Twitter, just wet their pants at the sight of the headline and threw £35m in a teary panic towards Southampton.

It’s at time like that you do have to be glad we’re not fan run!
Unlikely to be any worse than throwing 30m in a teary panic to Saudi Sportswashing Machine?

Back