• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Spurs v Leicester

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
20200719_161737.thumb.jpg.1d5790daf6f9d22e4adae067c9dc0d96.jpg

Looks like Son may have been onside as Kane has already made the pass here.
He was well inside our half when the pass was made.

Just watched the game again. Davies must think that the half way line is a unpenetratable brick wall. When he advances with the ball, even if there is tons of space in front of him, as soon as he comes close to the half way line, he slams on the breaks, and passes backwards or sideways!

Just watched the game again. Davies must think that the half way line is a unpenetratable brick wall. When he advances with the ball, even if there is tons of space in front of him, as soon as he comes close to the half way line, he slams on the breaks, and passes backwards or sideways!
Except when out of the blue he bombs through to the touchline like he did late on and puts over a teasing cross that catches Kane on the hop.

But yeah, a case of the exception that proves the rule.

I know we won 3-0 and not trying to tinkle on the bonfire but those statistics are quite worrying.

Probably the best we have played as a team in a year or more.
Always comfortable. Never felt there was any threat from Leicester even in the second half when we dropped deep and let them have the ball.

I know we won 3-0 and not trying to tinkle on the bonfire but those statistics are quite worrying.
Hearing Tim Cahill waxing lyrical about us and Mourinho makes me think that there's an option to take where you don't have to be that concerned.
How many times have we seen Tottenham play with lots of possession and passes but no end product, with sterile domination?

Hearing Tim Cahill waxing lyrical about us and Mourinho makes me think that there's an option to take where you don't have to be that concerned.
How many times have we seen Tottenham play with lots of possession and passes but no end product, with sterile domination?

Sheffield United away?

They were the home team. They sat back the whole game. Hit us on the break. Got all the plaudits for winning 3-1 even though we had a ton of possession and a good goal chalked off.

I dont mind some pragmatism in certain games. Leicester were supposedly the team above us, so we hit their weaknesses. I dont want it to become our pattern of play, but if we do it on occasion to get results then I wont be against it. That said. Lloris did pull of some amazing saves. But when we lost at home to United at Wembley De Gea did the same and again they just said it was football.

Kane to score two, Spurs win 2-1

Close!

These points that we've accumulated at the end make the ones VAR denied us even more frustrating. Especially the two points we missed out on against Bmth when Kane had a clear pen denied. Sheff Utd too, the Moura handball which cancelled out a valid goal came at a crucial moment in the game.

I know everyone can say this,but if we had another two points,and looking at the table this morning what may have been.....Norwich,Bournemouth,Watford,Brighton away all bottom 5 sides,that we should have won one or two those games.....

The fact that we scored early allowed us to play that way and after that Leicester were always going to have more possession.
Controlling a game without having much possession is a great attribute to have and is typical of a Mourinho side.
If Leicester had scored first then I'm sure we would've chased the game a bit more.

Personally I find counter attacking football more exciting than possession football. So I’m perfectly fine if Jose has us winning against big teams by defending solidly and hitting effectively on the break. But there will be lots of games where that isn’t an option (at least until we score the first goal or two). And we’ve looked turd recently in those kinds of situations (I.e. Bournemouth and Sheff Utd). But hopefully those were just aberrations, and he can get us playing well enough in possession to regularly beat lesser teams who defend deep.

How did that dirty clam Thomas stay on the pitch? Evans too. Hate to say it but we may well end up one point short of champions league football by the end of the season, all down to dodgy refs.

Last edited:
Huff and puff football
All effort and no results
Floyd mayweather won 50 fights by not getting hit
Yet in football now it seems that style doesn’t work as it’s not en vogue

Very happy to see the team looking like they are enjoying themselves again, players moving into space and not walking around not knowing what to do next.

Jose has got us playing as a team again, still a way to go but we are really moving in the right direction, looking forward to seeing us next season after the summer and what he does for us.

Kane has to be my MOM.

Mourinho has since said this:

"I knew that for them to play with this back five is not a very comfortable situation. It's easy to analyse that to play without Ricardo Pereira, Caglar Soyuncu and Ben Chilwell destroys a backline. So we decided to take away from them where they can hurt us, which is basically behind us. We took away from them our defensive depth by making our defensive block a little bit lower than we normally do. Then we gave the ball to them, to their back three because we wanted them to bring the ball and we wanted them to feel quite comfortable leaving their comfort zone, which is where they are not playing many matches. Bennett and Morgan, we wanted to take them away from their comfort zone to try to explore the counter-attack and fast transitions. So when we scored three goals in the first half, I think the game is over."

So he deliberately chose to remove the chance for Vardy to run into space behind our defence and deliberately allowed them to keep the ball with their players who had played fewer games and were also more likely to be exploited as they advanced up the pitch.
Not a tactical plan to be deployed every game, but reassuringly situational.

Back