• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Moussa Sissoko

Listening to podcast The Extra Inch they make a good point about Sissoko and Moura being "tackling, hard working wingers" whereas in the centre we had the more "passing oriented" duo of Winks and Lo Celso

So it was an interesting formation; most teams would have 2 tacklers in the middle and 2 skillful wingers, we kind of had the opposite.

Apparently Moura won 10 of 13 tackles which is way higher than a DM would normally achieve, so it is stellar for a wide man and indicates just how much Moura/Sissoko were designed to "defensively help" rather than necessarily play like wingers.

I thought the 442 worked pretty well and we got 5 golden chances to score, whereas against Everton/Bournemouth we seriously struggled to make chances. But that may have been down to them sitting back, as the Gooners loved to push forwards and expose their calamitous defenders to our strikers.
Anti-football is a lazy and blunt term for counter strategy. I loved the way the Italians dominated football in the 80s with their defending and counter attacking. Not a thrill a minute type of football but very patient and intelligent. Different eras but it was also very good football then.

Sent from my SM-G985F using Fapatalk

Anti-football is a lazy and blunt term for counter strategy. I loved the way the Italians dominated football in the 80s with their defending and counter attacking. Not a thrill a minute type of football but very patient and intelligent. Different eras but it was also very good football then.

It's true, but I just have to say, I don't think catenaccio would ever work in England.

This isn't new, but I believe that English football is more tactically simplistic than most other leagues. Coaches have to focus on fitness and conditioning first and foremost, and on relatively simple tactical systems and periodization when compared to the complex pressing triggers/passing formations/phases of play on the continent. Even Mourinho's system isn't immune - his periodization with Chelsea, United and us will undoubtedly be simpler and different to his preparations with, say, Inter or Madrid.

I don't think it's because of the coaches - the best coaches in the world are in the Premier League, after all, and Ancelotti, Pep, Klopp, and Mourinho in the same league is basically having the fathers of the last 20 years of football evolution, all in the same country. Plus, English coaches are no tactical slouches - despite their reputation. The likes of Steve Holland, Graham Potter and Chris Wilder are all pretty adept at breaking down tactics and implementing complex tactical systems.

I believe it's because of the relentless pace of the game, which has stayed the same throughout the history of English football, even in its dour '1-0' years. You see it in almost every interview a player or manager gives about their impressions of English football - they're routinely amazed that teams just never give up, and keep pushing for goals even at 3-0 down, 4-0 down, 5-0 down. The crowds keep demanding action and energy, so players run more even when standing perfectly still is the right option, and this creates a sort of back-and-forth dynamic over the 90 minutes that resembles a series of punches and counter-punches. There's a fluidity and unpredictability to the English game - a throbbing pulse and rhythm that makes it stand out. But it's also why fitness and mentality take on undue importance compared to tactics and strategy.

It's great. It's why the sheer spectacle of the English game is unparalleled in Europe, with the possible exception of the Bundesliga. A lot of tactical options on the continent (and in Serie A in particular) that rely on deliberate intricacy and patient, laborious build-up play just would not ever work in England, and the Premier League/Championship are playgrounds for players with superior instinctive abilities to flourish, as opposed to players who need time and space to dictate games or make an impact.

It's almost possible to rank the 'Big Five' leagues in a continuum - with the PL on one end as the most intense, physical, instinctive league, and Serie A on the other end as the most deliberate, tactical league. The Bundesliga would be next to the Premier League, and La Liga next to Serie A. And Ligue 1 would be smack dab in the middle.

It's true, but I just have to say, I don't think catenaccio would ever work in England.

This isn't new, but I believe that English football is more tactically simplistic than most other leagues. Coaches have to focus on fitness and conditioning first and foremost, and on relatively simple tactical systems and periodization when compared to the complex pressing triggers/passing formations/phases of play on the continent. Even Mourinho's system isn't immune - his periodization with Chelsea, United and us will undoubtedly be simpler and different to his preparations with, say, Inter or Madrid.

I don't think it's because of the coaches - the best coaches in the world are in the Premier League, after all, and Ancelotti, Pep, Klopp, and Mourinho in the same league is basically having the fathers of the last 20 years of football evolution, all in the same country. Plus, English coaches are no tactical slouches - despite their reputation. The likes of Steve Holland, Graham Potter and Chris Wilder are all pretty adept at breaking down tactics and implementing complex tactical systems.

I believe it's because of the relentless pace of the game, which has stayed the same throughout the history of English football, even in its dour '1-0' years. You see it in almost every interview a player or manager gives about their impressions of English football - they're routinely amazed that teams just never give up, and keep pushing for goals even at 3-0 down, 4-0 down, 5-0 down. The crowds keep demanding action and energy, so players run more even when standing perfectly still is the right option, and this creates a sort of back-and-forth dynamic over the 90 minutes that resembles a series of punches and counter-punches. There's a fluidity and unpredictability to the English game - a throbbing pulse and rhythm that makes it stand out. But it's also why fitness and meteorology take on undue importance compared to tactics and strategy.

It's great. It's why the sheer spectacle of the English game is unparalleled in Europe, with the possible exception of the Bundesliga. A lot of tactical options on the continent (and in Serie A in particular) that rely on deliberate intricacy and patient, laborious build-up play just would not ever work in England, and the Premier League/Championship are playgrounds for players with superior instinctive abilities to flourish, as opposed to players who need time and space to dictate games or make an impact.

It's almost possible to rank the 'Big Five' leagues in a continuum - with the PL on one end as the most intense, physical, instinctive league, and Serie A on the other end as the most deliberate, tactical league. The Bundesliga would be next to the Premier League, and La Liga next to Serie A. And Ligue 1 would be smack dab in the middle.
Great Post and response! There's so much here that I agree with and there's so much evidence that football is the weather and culture wherever it exists!

According to The Daily Star, Tottenham Hotspur head coach Jose Mourinho could sell Moussa Sissoko in the summer transfer window.

It has been reported that Tottenham might consider a bid of £18 million for the France international midfielder.

Potentially the best transfer of the summer

I saw that too, though can't see us getting £18m given his age. But equally given his age, I can see us selling him.

Given the arrival of Hojbjerg, Sissoko will get fewer starts and I dont see the need for him

I saw that too, though can't see us getting £18m given his age. But equally given his age, I can see us selling him.

Given the arrival of Hojbjerg, Sissoko will get fewer starts and I dont see the need for him
Sissoko is almost always fit and available. He has constantly played under both Poch and Mourinho. It only takes one injury to Hojbjerg and we would be back to square one and need him so I think it’s a bit of a stretch to say there’s no need for him as the current squad stands. In short, he’s a decent squad option for the time being....

Sissoko is almost always fit and available. He has constantly played under both Poch and Mourinho. It only takes one injury to Hojbjerg and we would be back to square one and need him so I think it’s a bit of a stretch to say there’s no need for him as the current squad stands. In short, he’s a decent squad option for the time being....

He'll get selected at RM regularly and, if we play 4-3-3, in front of of Hojbjerg alongside Lo Celso.

Sissoko is not a DM, one injury to Hojberg makes no difference Sissoko can't not adequately fill in for him.

He'll get selected at RM regularly and, if we play 4-3-3, in front of of Hojbjerg alongside Lo Celso.
That would suprise me and to be frank upset me. There is no improvement to the midfield if Sissoko is still going to be regularly selected.

That would suprise me and to be frank upset me. There is no improvement to the midfield if Sissoko is still going to be regularly selected.

He's been a consistent 7/10 player under Mourinho. Whilst possibly not be in the first choice 11 next season, he is going to get plenty of games over a season. I think that he will also regularly get picked for the big games because of his work rate.

I would probably agree with you on his flaws but we have bigger issues to address this summer.

Sissoko is not a DM, one injury to Hojberg makes no difference Sissoko can't not adequately fill in for him.
Of course it makes a difference because he will be taking up one of the CM roles that Sissoko currently fills. I know you don’t rate the guy, and you can call him whatever you want but he has been consistently utilised and signing one additional CM doesn’t changed the fact that Sissoko will be continued to be used whether that be in the middle or in a wider role....

He's been a consistent 7/10 player under Mourinho. Whilst possibly not be in the first choice 11 next season, he is going to get plenty of games over a season. I think that he will also regularly get picked for the big games because of his work rate.

I would probably agree with you on his flaws but we have bigger issues to address this summer.
I couldn't disagree more. [emoji28]

He's consistently 3/10

He's too lacking in overall attributes to be given such a rating. I'd argue that GLC was overally 7/20 for the season and he was several levels better in terms of performance than Sissoko.

Maybe if you're just rating effort but actual ability and performance there is no way in hell he's a 7/10 player what would that make Messi: 15/10? [emoji1787]

Of course it makes a difference because he will be taking up one of the CM roles that Sissoko currently fills. I know you don’t rate the guy, and you can call him whatever you want but he has been consistently utilised and signing one additional CM doesn’t changed the fact that Sissoko will be continued to be used whether that be in the middle or in a wider role....
My point is replacing Hojberg with Sissoko is no solution to the problem of the sole DM being injured it just places us in the same crappy midfield situation we had this season. He's not a DM, he's at best a right sided CM and in that role he's not awful. Played as a CM/DM he's bloody awful.

Who really knows if he will still be here next season, but if he is i am pretty sure Jose will play him a lot despite what some fans may think.

My point is replacing Hojberg with Sissoko is no solution to the problem of the sole DM being injured it just places us in the same crappy midfield situation we had this season. He's not a DM, he's at best a right sided CM and in that role he's not awful. Played as a CM/DM he's bloody awful.
That wasn’t the discussion though, it was said now we are about to get Hojberg we can get rid of Sissoko and my point was it only takes him to get injured and we are back to square one, and considering he is constantly played the idea signing one player and all of a sudden he’s going to be redundant to services is fanciful at best.

As for your claims he’s consistently 3/10, I’ll have some of what you’re smoking:D You reckon two top level coaches are going to consistently play a guy who gives that level of performance then the mind boggles. Dont suggest he only plays because there are no other options, there always are - even a Skipp would easily give a higher level of performance than what you are implying Sissoko does.....

That wasn’t the discussion though, it was said now we are about to get Hojberg we can get rid of Sissoko and my point was it only takes him to get injured and we are back to square one, and considering he is constantly played the idea signing one player and all of a sudden he’s going to be redundant to services is fanciful at best.

As for your claims he’s consistently 3/10, I’ll have some of what you’re smoking:D You reckon two top level coaches are going to consistently play a guy who gives that level of performance then the mind boggles. Dont suggest he only plays because there are no other options, there always are - even a Skipp would easily give a higher level of performance than what you are implying Sissoko does.....

We are slightly at cross purposes, I'm saying if Hojberg is injured Sissoko is NOT a good stand in for as he is not a quality DM hence the burning desire from Jose to purchase one. The point about injury to Hojberg is a good one though as in an ideal world we would have some who is capable of performing the same role to a good standard to cover for an inevitable injury.

We don't have any other options beyond Ndombele who didn't get selected by Jose for obvious reasons. If you recall Mourinho said himself that he does not consider Sissoko to be a "controlling midfielder" and would not play him in his midfield. Moving Dier to the backline and Ndombele not being up to the expected standard forced him to play there so yes we had options. If you know anything of Moyribho's career Skipp is not even worth a mention, there was 0 chance he would ever rely on him for the position.

Again just think to yourself if Mouribho thought Sissoko was an adequate DM why is Hojberg the very first signing? It's because it's a style of player we completely lack.

Regarding ratings what do you rate him as? I mean serious 7/10 is a nonesense where would that then put Kane, Son, GLC, Lloris, Toby etc? If you look a little behind our club where does that place other ther high performers if Sissoko is genuinely a 7/10 player. Kane and Son would have to actually break the scale and be 11 or 12 out of 10. [emoji38]

Sissoko is a player that runs around a lot but let's not pretend he's actually any good that's super fan delusion. If you saw him doing he does for any other club and we were linked in the summer you WOULD NOT want to buy him.

I couldn't disagree more. [emoji28]

He's consistently 3/10

He's too lacking in overall attributes to be given such a rating. I'd argue that GLC was overally 7/20 for the season and he was several levels better in terms of performance than Sissoko.

Maybe if you're just rating effort but actual ability and performance there is no way in hell he's a 7/10 player what would that make Messi: 15/10? [emoji1787]

I'm rating him based on how well he has done in the roles he has been asked to carry out. I've been critical of him in the past, and am aware of his limitations, but I think that he was one of our best players since the restart.

We are slightly at cross purposes, I'm saying if Hojberg is injured Sissoko is NOT a good stand in for as he is not a quality DM hence the burning desire from Jose to purchase one. The point about injury to Hojberg is a good one though as in an ideal world we would have some who is capable of performing the same role to a good standard to cover for an inevitable injury.

We don't have any other options beyond Ndombele who didn't get selected by Jose for obvious reasons. If you recall Mourinho said himself that he does not consider Sissoko to be a "controlling midfielder" and would not play him in his midfield. Moving Dier to the backline and Ndombele not being up to the expected standard forced him to play there so yes we had options. If you know anything of Moyribho's career Skipp is not even worth a mention, there was 0 chance he would ever rely on him for the position.

Again just think to yourself if Mouribho thought Sissoko was an adequate DM why is Hojberg the very first signing? It's because it's a style of player we completely lack.

Regarding ratings what do you rate him as? I mean serious 7/10 is a nonesense where would that then put Kane, Son, GLC, Lloris, Toby etc? If you look a little behind our club where does that place other ther high performers if Sissoko is genuinely a 7/10 player. Kane and Son would have to actually break the scale and be 11 or 12 out of 10. [emoji38]

Sissoko is a player that runs around a lot but let's not pretend he's actually any good that's super fan delusion. If you saw him doing he does for any other club and we were linked in the summer you WOULD NOT want to buy him.
I doubt anyone would argue on here that getting a DM was a top priority, but that’s not an indicator of Sissokos abilities - just the fact we don’t have one. To be honest I’m with Milo I think he’s been consistently decent, and that he carries out the instructions he’s asked to do reliably which is why he’s constantly picked. I think a 7 is a fair assessment,Maybe our rating systems are just different;) He has obvious limitations, but at this stage he is worthy of a place in the squad.....

Back