• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT Tottenham vs Sheffield United

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think we need a plan and a direction. Jose was a short-term appt IMO, with the hope that he could conjure a reaction from this group. We shall see, perhaps he has one, but I think he is floundering as this is not the typical position from which he has managed in years gone by.

The way ENIC have us set-up, we will forever be an exciting project club for a young, hungry manager. We'd have been better off waiting for Nagelsmann, obviously hindsight is helpful, but it comes down to whether you believe a manager like Jose can do his best work at a club with our structure and attitude.

Let's be honest, we ended last season as CL finalists yet we still thought of ourselves as a club that could not afford LoCelso, Ndombele and Fernandes. We could only have two. This when we already lost/were losing, Eriksen. We always believe it is about money and remain prudent, but at a certain point you haver to behave like the big club you genuinely are. We cannot say for sure (especially with that defending) but having Fernandes in out group could well have ben the difference between motivating others within our squad and being able to maintain our style of play (and CL places) versus nothing. Last season we made 140 million from the CL was it? This coming season we will not make a penny. Would the investment have been such a gamble? I wonder.

I think we need a plan and a direction. Jose was a short-term appt IMO, with the hope that he could conjure a reaction from this group. We shall see, perhaps he has one, but I think he is floundering as this is not the typical position from which he has managed in years gone by.

The way ENIC have us set-up, we will forever be an exciting project club for a young, hungry manager. We'd have been better off waiting for Nagelsmann, obviously hindsight is helpful, but it comes down to whether you believe a manager like Jose can do his best work at a club with our structure and attitude.

Let's be honest, we ended last season as CL finalists yet we still thought of ourselves as a club that could not afford LoCelso, Ndombele and Fernandes. We could only have two. This when we already lost/were losing, Eriksen. We always believe it is about money and remain prudent, but at a certain point you haver to behave like the big club you genuinely are. We cannot say for sure (especially with that defending) but having Fernandes in out group could well have ben the difference between motivating others within our squad and being able to maintain our style of play (and CL places) versus nothing. Last season we made 140 million from the CL was it? This coming season we will not make a penny. Would the investment have been such a gamble? I wonder.

I think that is the plan, on paper the squad is incredible, get it back to it's proper level of performance. I think (hope) Jose is being pragmatic and giving everyone a chance before unleashing his ways on them, to encourage or scare them into a performance as suits, or bury them in the woods.

I think thats just the latest stage of ENIC, the plan is for us to be as big as any other club in the game, the template is Madrid, Juve, United, I'm not saying we are there yet, obviously not the case, but you need a manager of a certain ilk to be there.

All clubs have books to balance, if only for FFP, look at the barca shenanigans over recent years.

Of course they're somewhat accountable, they go out there and play the game, but they do so with (hopefully) direction and purpose.
I am open to learn if you want to teach me your wisdom, but tell me what I'm missing? What is Jose's direction? What is his purpose? Remember, he is being paid not as a project-builder but a short-term winner; THAT is the size of his ego and paycheck.
I am n to being sarcastic, I'd genuinely like to hear your take.
I thought it was clear
Counter attacking football
But yet again with pub defending (a spurs tradition) it’s nigh on impossible
And he started today with a very attacking line up
The squad is fundamentally flawed. Loads of number 10s but 1 number 9
Loads of centre backs but no full backs
Not own traditional DM
It’s really odd
So your juggling pieces to try to get some cohesion
It worked vs West Ham and we had so much do the ball today it should have worked
But no manager has ever managed to fix the defensive brain farts at spurs ... at least not quickly and without buying players.
I’ve said it a million times... the full backs we have are inferior to Norwich’s as they cannot defend. It’s basics but it’s also criminally bad

I think that is the plan, on paper the squad is incredible, get it back to it's proper level of performance. I think (hope) Jose is being pragmatic and giving everyone a chance before unleashing his ways on them, to encourage or scare them into a performance as suits, or bury them in the woods.

I think thats just the latest stage of ENIC, the plan is for us to be as big as any other club in the game, the template is Madrid, Juve, United, I'm not saying we are there yet, obviously not the case, but you need a manager of a certain ilk to be there.

All clubs have books to balance, if only for FFP, look at the barca shenanigans over recent years.
The squad really isn’t that good
We have own decent full back and he has been binned
We have no traditional DM
We have one left footed CB
We have no second striker
We as fans see names and get excited but the balance is so far wrong it’s scary

I hear what you are saying, but aside from fullback and DM, the squad is really strong. If we had a coherent transfer policy this summer (i.e. buy a RB, by a CDM) and a better manager who could get the most out of the squad we'd be in really good shape. The thing I fear is that we have neither.

I hear what you are saying, but aside from fullback and DM, the squad is really strong. If we had a coherent transfer policy this summer (i.e. buy a RB, by a CDM) and a better manager who could get the most out of the squad we'd be in really good shape. The thing I fear is that we have neither.
I can see is going for those positions
I can see us going for 2 full backs a DM, back up striker and possibly a CB
Our issue is who goes to pay for them as we will have some money but need to sell too
Jose will be fine with players who can do the basics well. That’s the issue, stupid players can’t do simple things

I think we're pretty weak in attack - Son Kane Alli the only players you'd see in a rivals line up and worry about and even then Allis time off the boil is worrying long atm.

Lo Celso/Ndombele for me are deeper players not attack before soneone argues that.

Thats a massive overstatement of our squad.

Davies is painfully slow and doesn’t do anything better than 6/10.

Sanchez is the worst South American passer of the ball I’ve seen. I’d go as far as saying he’s the worst signing of the Poch era. Not saying he’s the worst player but Poch wanted to play out from the back with Sanchez as one of the CB’s? It’s suicide. Add that to Lloris’s passing and it’s a recipe for disaster. Hope he’s gone at the end of the season.

Aurier - thick and brainless.

Dier - not good enough

Sissoko - poor footballer

The only players I would keep are Kane, Son, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Lloris, Tanganga and Bergwijn. The rest can go. Full on fire sale.

We need a massive rebuild at the back, a proper DM and a creative player in the final third but we will probably just end up offering Lamela another contract, expect him to be Eriksen’s replacement and act surprised when he breaks down in training.

Not that I solely blame Jose but he’s not the answer and I’d cut our losses now and bring in someone like Ten Hag or a manager with a similar philosophy. The game has moved on, teams at the top don’t win anymore playing anti football. The best teams in the world all play attacking, fast paced, progressive football, not this slowed down Jose/AVB ball.

My equally big fear though is that the likes of Kane, Son and Alli won’t want to be here next season (or at least won’t be able to regain full enthusiasm / commitment / confidence).

I agree there are places where we can improve, but if all of our players turn up and play at the highest level we've seen from them previously, thats a really good team.

Yeah I agree
But even at our best teams cut through out full backs like I do cake

Thats fixable though, they just need to work harder, the goals today came from players switching off, mistakes can be eliminated, that is a big part of Jose's success in the past.

I think we can already see an improvement in Lloris, and Aurier has been better under Jose imo.

Answers within the quote in bold...

I thought it was clear

Regardless of how "clear" it might be, I was interested in your take.

Counter attacking football

Yes. I think Ray Charles can see that. But is that it? Are we now going to be Tottenham "counter attacking away from home" Hotspur?

But yet again with pub defending (a spurs tradition) it’s nigh on impossible

As poor as the switch-offs are (and Aurier) to being able to actually control and possess the ball is a bit of an issue.

And he started today with a very attacking line up

I see. "Very attacking" is certainly one phrase.

The squad is fundamentally flawed. Loads of number 10s but 1 number 9

He has more than enough tools to have us playing better and with more confidence. That is for another thread. Our FB situation stands out as being poor for sure.

Loads of centre backs but no full backs

No good ones, agreed.

Not own traditional DM

Agreed, we could do with a steady there, Sissoko occupies the role but not at the calibre we need.

It’s really odd
So your juggling pieces to try to get some cohesion
It worked vs West Ham and we had so much do the ball today it should have worked

It all depends on whether you like the system. I don't. I don't like poorly organized counter-attacking football that relies on speed over intelligence. How about both? We have the players.

But no manager has ever managed to fix the defensive brain farts at spurs ... at least not quickly and without buying players.
I’ve said it a million times... the full backs we have are inferior to Norwich’s as they cannot defend. It’s basics but it’s also criminally bad

I've been consistent regarding Aurier for a long time now, so I agree. Davies? OK without being really good at anything. I think we all agree that Rose/Walker, whilst not incredible defenders gave so much pushing on thstit worked, especially with the CBs being smart on the read and either Dier or Wanyama dropping in to cover.

I suppose we simply have to see where he takes us and what his endgame plan is going forward. So far, I am not seeing a particularly great one.

Thats fixable though, they just need to work harder, the goals today came from players switching off, mistakes can be eliminated, that is a big part of Jose's success in the past.

I think we can already see an improvement in Lloris, and Aurier has been better under Jose imo.
They have always been like this
Stupid players hence why their here maybe

Answers within the quote in bold...
It’s counter attacking with a LOT of the ball
So is that counter attacking or is that picking when you attack
I think it’s called it more as the position get to attack us more than I’d like because our team is easy to get at when going wide
I don’t think a team with so much possession is a counter attacking side TBF

Wonder if Harry has talked to his agent yet this evening?

I have real issues with all this talk of Kane looking to leave to win trophies, he is a key part of this squad which means he's a key part of the failure too, it's the same for everyone, Ben Davies is just as likely to leave to win trophies as Kane is.

If that is Kane's attitude, and I don't think it is, he can fudge off, thats not the attitude I want, I want players who go and take trophies, not ones who wait to be in the right place to get them because of others.

He's coasting at the minute, nowhere near his best, such talk is disrespectful to our players who are putting in performances near their level.

I think we're pretty weak in attack - Son Kane Alli the only players you'd see in a rivals line up and worry about and even then Allis time off the boil is worrying long atm.

Lo Celso/Ndombele for me are deeper players not attack before soneone argues that.
Both Lo Celso and Ndombele are Eriksen type of players, but they have to play further back because we have no other capable players for the deeper positions. That means they struggle to produce what they really are capable of. We need a proper CM that can defend, has positional awareness, is a good passer, and can advance with the ball. This will allow Lo Celso and/or Ndombele to really do what they are best at.

Back