• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT Tottenham vs Sheffield United

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You can argue the need for more creativity etc, but this team for awhile lacks urgency and desire. Pretty nice passes side to side does nothing vs an organised team, you need to fight for the ball and some damn movement. Kane is not immune to that either, his hold up play is terrible right now and while some excuses can be given for 5/6 players around match fitness due to injuries, that would explain not lasting 90 mins not the sheer lack of real effort from the start

True effort comes from direction.
What's our direction?
What is the manager's purpose?
What is the club's intent now we have the stadium?

It feels like the whole club is caught.

This result "could" be what we need. Europe is done. No Europe next season. Focus and rebuild, but as what? A team which sits and hits on the counter but cannot defend? A team in Jose's old image? Is that us? Is that who we are and what we want to be?

I feel sorry for the players. You can see that even they are still in a daze as to what has happened the past 12 months.

What's our direction?

This result "could" be what we need. Europe is done. No Europe next season. Focus and rebuild, but as what? A team which sits and hits on the counter but cannot defend? A team in Jose's old image? Is that us? Is that who we are and what we want to be?

I feel sorry for the players. You can see that even they are still in a daze as to what has happened the past 12 months.
The players are massively accountable so IMO have NO excuses

I don't know what you can do, really.

None of these sorry pieces of brick deserve to wear the shirt, with the exceptions of Kane, Son and Lo Celso, all of whom I feel sorry for.

Years of decline since 2017 have come back to bite us in the ass, and this is the result. The decision to replace Walker with the world's worst defender in Serge Aurier was absolutely self-destructive. The refusal to buy a DM to replace Wanyama when his knees were shot, likewise. The stagnation that we endured in 2018 was unforgivable, deliberate sabotage - a more destructive decision for one's own football club is hard to find. We tried to make up for it in 2019, but this sorry bunch aren't going to change their spots with just a few transfers - they need to be thrown into the footballing dustbin and forgotten, which didn't happen.

And now we're stuck with this pathetic lot. One week look reasonably solid, playing to the manager's wishes, being switched on...and then this absolute disaster.
Sigh.

I'd genuinely stick a 'For Sale' sign on literally everyone bar Son, Kane and Lo Celso this summer. Root and branch reform, turf these born losers to League 2 or wherever their skill and mentality levels merit, and start again.

But that won't happen. We'll get some cheap nobodies and freebies in, and call it a day, while this creature from the footballing trash can shambles on, winning once, losing five times and then making anodyne 'we'll fight for the fans' posts on the OS.

You cannot excuse him serge... he also decided to sell a better Rb in the summer

Yes I can.
I just did.
Look, I know the rep I have here and I know you're not shy to tell everyone what Poch wasn't doing, but let's look at Mourinho's tenure thus far. Where is it going? Where is he taking us?

He told us he was very happy with the squad. I have maintained from day one that he will want players Levy might've said were within our reach but he eventually will not get. So where does it leave us? Tell me where YOU see we are going?

The ONLY silver lining to this defeat is that it might be the clean slate he needs to build next season, but my question remains WHAT is he building?

Or excusing a man who is part of it is too surely??

I’ll just add whilst I’m at it... if Danny Rose defended like our FBs did today he would be murdered by some fans

He was part of the decision process no doubt but unless you know the full story of who wanted who and what players were available to him blah blah blah you can't point the finger of blame on individual deals, like legohamster was doing and what i was responding to.

What we do know is that he called the painful squad rebuild long ago and was openly annoyed with the clubs approach to transfers and also his apparent lack of power in this area (we've all read the many quotes) - so it's pretty clear and logical why i think what I've said above and previously.

Fair point that we don't know.

But it looks bad anecdotally, with Southampton and us there were points when a big deal was made of him being given more control over incoming transfers, and at both clubs, that coincided with a series of signings that didn't work out.

The next club to hire him will have concerns there I'm sure.

For me Poch's biggest Achilles heel with transfers was that he would not sign the one or two experienced winners a squad of youth needs to push over the line sometimes.
Liverpool had Milner built in.
We needed one like that and Poch stubbornly refused to do it.

Yes I can.
I just did.
Look, I know the rep I have here and I know you're not shy to tell everyone what Poch wasn't doing, but let's look at Mourinho's tenure thus far. Where is it going? Where is he taking us?

He told us he was very happy with the squad. I have maintained from day one that he will want players Levy might've said were within our reach but he eventually will not get. So where does it leave us? Tell me where YOU see we are going?

The ONLY silver lining to this defeat is that it might be the clean slate he needs to build next season, but my question remains WHAT is he building?

hopefully an effective monument of brickhousery that wins the league in the most cynical and nasty way possible

thats what I signed up for

He was part of the decision process no doubt but unless you know the full story of who wanted who and what players were available to him blah blah blah you can't point the finger of blame on individual deals, like legohamster was doing and what i was responding to.

What we do know is that he called the painful squad rebuild long ago and was openly annoyed with the clubs approach to transfers and also his apparent lack of power in this area (we've all read the quotes) - so it's pretty clear and logical why i think what I've said above regarding to the matter.
He also signed a new LONG contract knowing what he knew
He also played the players even the ones he wanted rid... it’s odd that isn’t it?
Whenever we lose it’s Jose’s fault and when we win... well it’s not because of him
The squad we have needed so much work but don’t excuse Poch form that role... he signed off the acquisitions this summer for example, 1 of which looks capable so far (others may well come good) yet we needed instant or improvement. That’s really poor judgement

He has to be given at least 18 months playing time

Exactly right. This is a fudging culture at our club and has been for as long as I remember. A proper team who played like us tonight walks away with at least a point. They defending was beyond gutless.

We’ve had it with all our managers. Venables lost 2-1 at Port Vale, Livermore/Clemence lost 6-0 to Sheffield United, Ossie had too many losses to remember, Francis lost 6-1 at Bolton and 7-1 at Saudi Sportswashing Machine if memory serves, Gross got thumped 6-1 at home to Chelsea, Hoddle lost 4-0 down at Southampton, Harry got walloped a couple of times at the start of his last season, AVB had 4-0, 5-0 and 6-0 defeats in his last season, Tactics Tim got hammered by all the decent sides and Poch lost 3-0 at Brighton and 7-2 v Munich.

We really know how to embarrass ourselves in the most gutless ways possible. Jose has a job on his hands to weed that out of our club. If anyone can, I have confidence he can but it’s a big yellow streak that runs right through our DNA for some reason.

We don't know what goes on behind the scenes recruitment wise (what if the players he signed off on were the best of a bad bunch put to him?) but what should be clear is that holding a person accountable for a transfer policy that they themselves were quite obviously/openly vexed with is bit stupid

As I said, I am not saying Levy isnt at fault as well - but I am afraid as a manager of the club he takes at least some of the blame for the incomings - which have decreased the quality of the playing squad and have not been cheap.

If he was that annoyed with it he would have walked instead of signing a new deal.

What's our direction?

I intentionally didn’t mention the manager as this lethargy was in Poch’s last season as well and potentially part of the one previously. The young team we had grew up and lost its hunger, well that and Dembele.

The players are massively accountable so IMO have NO excuses

Of course they're somewhat accountable, they go out there and play the game, but they do so with (hopefully) direction and purpose.
I am open to learn if you want to teach me your wisdom, but tell me what I'm missing? What is Jose's direction? What is his purpose? Remember, he is being paid not as a project-builder but a short-term winner; THAT is the size of his ego and paycheck.
I am n to being sarcastic, I'd genuinely like to hear your take.

He also signed a new LONG contract knowing what he knew
He also played the players even the ones he wanted rid... it’s odd that isn’t it?
Whenever we lose it’s Jose’s fault and when we win... well it’s not because of him
The squad we have needed so much work but don’t excuse Poch form that role... he signed off the acquisitions this summer for example, 1 of which looks capable so far (others may well come good) yet we needed instant or improvement. That’s really poor judgement

I'm not blaming Jose for anything - i just think he's the wrong man for the job, which is a massive rebuild.

We need to cut our losses and get a manager more suited to the task at hand, because Jose was brought in to pick up an underperforming side that need that final kick up the arse to bring glory - not to oversee a mammoth rebuild.

Keep saying he signed off on deals all you like but it's meaningless unless we know the finer details.

I asked myself at the final whistle, is this a new low, and it's not, it's a long time ago but that performance was no worse than our average in the first three months of the season, the brighton game springs to mind.

These players need a gonad*ing, they are all a lot better than they are showing, Poch let them get away with, if Jose does the same he won't be around long either.

Exactly. People were saying under Poch - these players need a gonad*ing. Now it’s the same here. Not much has changed.

Sanchez makes Luiz look solid and King-esq

Teams target him

I rate Aarons going forward, but I am not sure he is the answer to our leaky defence.
I’ve never understood why we paid so much for a defender at a time when our back 4 was walker toby Jan rose. If he’d come through the academy I’d be questioning whether he’s Prem quality.
Aaron’s has qualities on the ball for sure and if we stick with the wonky he’d be an asset, depends how much he costs and we want to get more experience in. I thought Clyne was a decent shout on a free too. I think we need an experienced left back to help Sessegnon develop too but right this minute I’d be telling Jan a new contract is his if he can start next Toby and get 2 consecutive clean sheets before the end of the season. Dier I’d give a contract, he looks like he’s back physically but needs a season playing with older heads at the back too, plus he could fill in at Right back.
Aaron’s
Clyne
Toby
Dier
Jan
Tanganga
Sessegnon
Experienced left back
Gives you a blend if potential and experience across the back line and could be achievable if we can find a new money club to take Aurier and Sanchez off our hands.

hopefully an effective monument of brickhousery that wins the league in the most cynical and nasty way possible

thats what I signed up for

Yep.

Always hated Mourinho teams but he will be gone in 3 years, probably 2. Sign our talented young players on long contracts and loan them out for a couple of years like Chelsea did. Sit back and let Mourinho do his thing.

He did get the worst man u side to 2nd in the league.

Back