• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Your Non League Team

Grays_1890

Colin Calderwood
So talking on another thread I managed to link two players who came through my local non league club and thought It might be a basis to start a new thread.

So who is your local team? You go see them ever? Any real success? Any players gone through the club of note.

Mine is Grays Athletic, was one of the most successful clubs in non league 15 years ago, I went a few times and it was a good set up, beers and local football with mates. Were the subject of one of them rich sugar daddies.

Had some pretty funny names come through the club, plenty went on up the leagues like Freddie Eastwood, Michael Kightly to name two recents.

On the way down, we had Jason Dozzell, Carl Leaburn, Ian Selley, Paolo Vernnazza and Paul Terry (Johns Chavvy Brother). A club cult legend was Jim Sherringham too, Teddys brother.

Spurs links were that we had Mark Stimson at the club as manager for a few years and also ex Manager Wayne Burnett went to be a youth coach at the club (not sure if he still is)

We have moved around a lot over the years ( especially when i was a kid) so i have not really got a Non League favourite. However i was in the youth team at Tooting and Mitcham as a kid for a year( before we moved yet again) so it would have to be them. Little known fact for some was that the ex Man Utd keeper Alex Stepney was there at the same time.

We have moved around a lot over the years ( especially when i was a kid) so i have not really got a Non League favourite. However i was in the youth team at Tooting and Mitcham as a kid for a year( before we moved yet again) so it would have to be them. Little known fact for some was that the ex Man Utd keeper Alex Stepney was there at the same time.

Nice, been there a few times actually, decent set up the new place.

I use to go to Fisher Ath. A very local club, they made it in to the Southern League before imploding. They were running along nicely until a south London gangster owned them. Saw our reserves play them once, real rough game, Ian Gilzean wanted to take on a few of them after the game.

I use to go to Fisher Ath. A very local club, they made it in to the Southern League before imploding. They were running along nicely until a south London gangster owned them. Saw our reserves play them once, real rough game, Ian Gilzean wanted to take on a few of them after the game.

They were huge at one point, loads of big non league names like the Scannells etc and the Piper Brothers

Braintree Town, got to the Conference play offs a few years back but lost to Grimsby. Now slipping back down the pyramid unfortunately.

That was under the Cowley brothers who moved to Lincoln after that season and took them from bottom half conference team to the play off positions in League one in consecutive seasons, before moving to rock bottom Huddersfield (2 points from 12 games or something like that!) earlier this season and have pretty much already saved them from relegation from the Championship. Needless to say I rate them highly!

Graham Roberts and Alan Devonshire have previously managed them. No players of note though I don’t think.

I was born in Barnet and lived a stone's throw from Underhill for a while. Used to sometimes pop along to games with my mates if we had the dough for the entry. If not we'd watch from a tree in the playing fields next door. Ray Clemence and Edgar Davids are ex managers. 'Notable' players include Gary Bull, Dougie Freedman.

They moved to a new stadium 'The Hive' a few years back, I've not been to a game there as of yet.

Scarborough Town - my grandfather lived there and was a fan, always took me on Boxing Day, one of the oldest football clubs in England, formed in 1879, before they were wound up on 20 June 2007, with debts of £2.5 million

I still play on a Saturday but when I’ve got no games or call offs I tend to go watch a lot of Non League or the midweeks. Tend to watch a few teams local to me. Colney Heath or London Colney they play in Spartan Midlands Prem. My favourite to visit is Hadley FC (Essex Senior ) Mickey Hazard managed them for a While. Also drop down a couple of Steps and go watch a side called Belstone they are in Herts Prem . They used to be a good side struggled this year.

I also watch some conference as Borehamwood not to far but find the football dull and it’s 20 notes to get in which is a joke.

I must say I enjoy going to watch Non League probably more so than going to the Lane these days. Don’t get me wrong love watching the quality of top level players but there’s just something about the lower level game. It’s raw and there’s a different level of commitment to the game more love for the game. Sounds weird but that’s how I see it.

I was born in Barnet and lived a stone's throw from Underhill for a while. Used to sometimes pop along to games with my mates if we had the dough for the entry. If not we'd watch from a tree in the playing fields next door. Ray Clemence and Edgar Davids are ex managers. 'Notable' players include Gary Bull, Dougie Freedman.

They moved to a new stadium 'The Hive' a few years back, I've not been to a game there as of yet.

Barnet have done a good job at the Hive. It’s a nice all in one complex . Been to a few games there it’s a nice tidy little stadium. There’s loads of pitches around it which are well kept my lad plays there sometimes. Was a good move for them. I know not in Barnet as such anymore but it’s not a bad spot.

I still play on a Saturday but when I’ve got no games or call offs I tend to go watch a lot of Non League or the midweeks. Tend to watch a few teams local to me. Colney Heath or London Colney they play in Spartan Midlands Prem. My favourite to visit is Hadley FC (Essex Senior ) Mickey Hazard managed them for a While. Also drop down a couple of Steps and go watch a side called Belstone they are in Herts Prem . They used to be a good side struggled this year.

I also watch some conference as Borehamwood not to far but find the football dull and it’s 20 notes to get in which is a joke.

I must say I enjoy going to watch Non League probably more so than going to the Lane these days. Don’t get me wrong love watching the quality of top level players but there’s just something about the lower level game. It’s raw and there’s a different level of commitment to the game more love for the game. Sounds weird but that’s how I see it.

I feel the same, I expect it's because the result doesn't mean as much to me and it doesn't feel like I'm a customer just a football fan.

I feel the same, I expect it's because the result doesn't mean as much to me and it doesn't feel like I'm a customer just a football fan.

Yes that plays a part in it to . The players as well they would have full time jobs at the level of Spartan/Essex senior as no money in it really. They would train and play twice a week with some considerable travel in that. That’s a serious dedication to play and a love for the game. Balance that out with a working week.

Same goes for all the tiny clubs dotted about and amateur cloggers like myself who pay on a Saturday to play. And these amateur clubs fighting to stay afloat , brick pitches and a pint in the bar after with your mates. So far detached from the top end.

It is a beautiful thing when you look at it from kids football up. These people are what keep the game going not the vast sums of money in the premier league. Our country’s football pyramid needs to be looked after and invested in more but sadly it’s not. The decline in teams at all ages and levels is sad to see. My playing days are nearing their end but the last 5 years the decline in clubs/ Teams has been scary.

Apologies for the ramble .

Last edited:
Hemel Hempstead Town as it's my home-town, have been flirting with the play-offs/mid-table in Conference South the last few years.

Yes that plays a part in it to . The players as well they would have full time jobs at the level of Spartan/Essex senior as no money in it really. They would train and play twice a week with some considerable travel in that. That’s a serious dedication to play and a love for the game. Balance that out with a working week.

Same goes for all the tiny clubs dotted about and amateur cloggers like myself who pay on a Saturday to play. And these amateur clubs fighting to stay afloat , brick pitches and a pint in the bar after with your mates. So far detached from the top end.

It is a beautiful thing when you look at it from kids football up. These people are what keep the game going not the vast sums of money in the premier league. Our country’s football pyramid needs to be looked after and invested in more but sadly it’s not. The decline in teams at all ages and levels is sad to see. My playing days are nearing their end but the last 5 years the decline in clubs/ Teams has been scary.

Apologies for the ramble .

I agree, I played in a Saturday Association which was made up of major companies, banks, local councils and grammar schools, many of these clubs no longer exist as cutbacks in these institutions bite. Many of the clubs use to run upto 6 sides a week, it was a real pleasure to play on good pitches with clubhouse facilities compared to the usual council run(down) sites I used on Sunday. Over Hackney Marshes you had to get washed down in an open trough with cold water.

I agree, I played in a Saturday Association which was made up of major companies, banks, local councils and grammar schools, many of these clubs no longer exist as cutbacks in these institutions bite. Many of the clubs use to run upto 6 sides a week, it was a real pleasure to play on good pitches with clubhouse facilities compared to the usual council run(down) sites I used on Sunday. Over Hackney Marshes you had to get washed down in an open trough with cold water.

I’ve heard about the open trough from a guy at work who used to play there does not sound pretty. There’s still some nice clubs and decent facilities about but declining.

I wonder what even better established Non League sides will look like after this lockdown. I suppose few could go to the wall.

If there’s going to be some legal challenges etc as leagues voided. I know Colney Heath were top and should have moved up a step. Massive achievement if they did.

Back