• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

American politics

As of now even he hasn't managed to "officially form" one, no. As you (IMO rightly) suggest, there are several fringe right-wing extremist groups trading off the "antics" label as they cause havoc...
Nah im being sarcastic generally
Trump will create whatever he wants to be trump and justify his existence and his actions
Still stunned he hasn’t been assassinated TBH

This should send Trump into a rage fit.

It's incredible how many struggle to understand this concept though:

EaLg2t4U8AEAszA

Remember when it was all going to be ok when Trump was elected because Paul Ryan and other sensible Republicans were going to be there to ensure some level of normality...

good times.

One of the best summations of Trump is from the conservative former Republican (he left the party when Trump was nominated) George Will. In a recent editorial he said:

"Those who think our unhinged president’s recent mania about a murder two decades ago that never happened represents his moral nadir have missed the lesson of his life: There is no such thing as rock bottom. So, assume that the worst is yet to come."

The full editorial is here: https://www.pacificariptide.com/files/george-will--there-is-no-such-thing-as-...-is-yet-to-come.pdf

Remember when it was all going to be ok when Trump was elected because Paul Ryan and other sensible Republicans were going to be there to ensure some level of normality...

good times.

From Ricahrd Rorty:

"[M]embers of labor unions, and unorganized unskilled workers, will sooner or later realize that their government is not even trying to prevent wages from sinking or to prevent jobs from being exported. Around the same time, they will realize that suburban white-collar workers—themselves desperately afraid of being downsized—are not going to let themselves be taxed to provide social benefits for anyone else.

At that point, something will crack. The nonsuburban electorate will decide that the system has failed and start looking around for a strongman to vote for—someone willing to assure them that, once he is elected, the smug bureaucrats, tricky lawyers, overpaid bond salesmen, and postmodernist professors will no longer be calling the shots. A scenario like that of Sinclair Lewis’ novel It Can’t Happen Here may then be played out. For once a strongman takes office, nobody can predict what will happen. In 1932, most of the predictions made about what would happen if Hindenburg named Hitler chancellor were wildly overoptimistic.

One thing that is very likely to happen is that the gains made in the past forty years by black and brown Americans, and by homosexuals, will be wiped out. Jocular contempt for women will come back into fashion. The words [slur for an African-American that begins with "n"] and [slur for a Jewish person that begins with "k"] will once again be heard in the workplace. All the sadism which the academic Left has tried to make unacceptable to its students will come flooding back. All the resentment which badly educated Americans feel about having their manners dictated to them by college graduates will find an outlet."

I bolded that bit in reference to what you'd written. I do think that there is nothing that Trump wouldn't do to benefit himself, if he thought he could get away with it. So, declaring martial law and suspending elections indefinitely would not be beyond him. Sadly, his base would support him.

I bolded that bit in reference to what you'd written. I do think that there is nothing that Trump wouldn't do to benefit himself, if he thought he could get away with it. So, declaring martial law and suspending elections indefinitely would not be beyond him. Sadly, his base would support him.

The poll numbers are heading south for Trump and he knows it, despite his protestation to CNN (er...what was that about?). And I don't think the voter suppression tactics that the GOP have been employing for eons will be enough to counteract that swing, even if they ramp them up, which they will. So what will Trump do? He legally can't suspend the elections but he doesn't really have to. Imagine a tweet just before the election to say it had been canceled, even though technically it hadn't. The ensuing chaos would create enough wiggle room for Trump to question the outcome and get the supreme court involved. This election is existential for Trump, his family, possibly the GOP as a significant player, and US/Russian relationships. Maybe US/Israel relationships too if they interfere. They are all in and will do whatever it takes.

Here's an interesting interview on the topic.
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-poli...trump-2020-election-meltdown-lawrence-douglas

The poll numbers are heading south for Trump and he knows it, despite his protestation to CNN (er...what was that about?). And I don't think the voter suppression tactics that the GOP have been employing for eons will be enough to counteract that swing, even if they ramp them up, which they will. So what will Trump do? He legally can't suspend the elections but he doesn't really have to. Imagine a tweet just before the election to say it had been canceled, even though technically it hadn't. The ensuing chaos would create enough wiggle room for Trump to question the outcome and get the supreme court involved. This election is existential for Trump, his family, possibly the GOP as a significant player, and US/Russian relationships. Maybe US/Israel relationships too if they interfere. They are all in and will do whatever it takes.

Here's an interesting interview on the topic.
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-poli...trump-2020-election-meltdown-lawrence-douglas

Thanks for this, though I'm not happy for having read it. I know a lot of trump, voters and most of them are utterly unfazed by anything he's done. They watch Fox or worse (E.G. Qanon) and are impervious to anything that doesn't support him. Trying to speak to them is useless, like trying to deprogram a cult member. I have watched people I have known all my life buy guns, tell me Michelle Obama is actually a dude, rage that Bill Gates is the most evil human on the planet, etc. These aren't stupid people, which makes it all that much more frightening.

My only hope, in the event that Biden gets a narrow electoral college win is that Republicans in the Senate do what is best for the country, rather than their careers. I know, a very slender hope, but I remember Jeff Flake (Republican former senator from Arizona)saying that if the impeachment trial had been a secret ballot he'd have been easily impeached. They despise him, they just fear the rabid Trump base. My hope (which seems all that much more tenuous for having written it out) is that they will realize the gravity of the situation and put their fear aside.

Of course that assumes that Biden can even mount an effective campaign. At this point the plan seems to be for him to hide out and hope Trump collapses. He was always a smug, prolix, dishonest corporate shill prone to gaffes, but his performance in the Democratic primary, when he actually interacted with voters was shockingly bad: meandering Grampa Abe Simpson speeches, telling people to vote for someone else, challenging a guy to do push ups, snapping at any questions he didn't like, etc. He is in obvious cognitive decline and Trump is going to humiliate him for it.

Btw, the Hayes mention in the Hayes-Tilden election was Rutherford B Hayes, who was my great great great uncle I think. He lost the popular vote but became president.

Thanks for this, though I'm not happy for having read it. I know a lot of trump, voters and most of them are utterly unfazed by anything he's done. They watch Fox or worse (E.G. Qanon) and are impervious to anything that doesn't support him. Trying to speak to them is useless, like trying to deprogram a cult member. I have watched people I have known all my life buy guns, tell me Michelle Obama is actually a dude, rage that Bill Gates is the most evil human on the planet, etc. These aren't stupid people, which makes it all that much more frightening.

My only hope, in the event that Biden gets a narrow electoral college win is that Republicans in the Senate do what is best for the country, rather than their careers. I know, a very slender hope, but I remember Jeff Flake (Republican former senator from Arizona)saying that if the impeachment trial had been a secret ballot he'd have been easily impeached. They despise him, they just fear the rabid Trump base. My hope (which seems all that much more tenuous for having written it out) is that they will realize the gravity of the situation and put their fear aside.

Of course that assumes that Biden can even mount an effective campaign. At this point the plan seems to be for him to hide out and hope Trump collapses. He was always a smug, prolix, dishonest corporate shill prone to gaffes, but his performance in the Democratic primary, when he actually interacted with voters was shockingly bad: meandering Grampa Abe Simpson speeches, telling people to vote for someone else, challenging a guy to do push ups, snapping at any questions he didn't like, etc. He is in obvious cognitive decline and Trump is going to humiliate him for it.

Btw, the Hayes mention in the Hayes-Tilden election was Rutherford B Hayes, who was my great great great uncle I think. He lost the popular vote but became president.
I have a MAGA in my own family. It was quite the transformation and he's not even American. He moved out to New Jersey with his family a few years ago, and has drunk all the Koolaid. On a recent trip home he treated us to a 2-minute rant containing all of qanon's greatest hits. Mental stuff from a previously fairly rational man. My sympathies to you on your Trump-loving aquantances.

I think Biden will be fine. He was not the best candidate by a long shot and he is declining mentally but even with that, I'll feel safer in my own skin if he is elected. His VP slot will probably be the most important decision he'll make. Warren hopefully and it looks like the polls have her as the preferential choice too. Whoever it is will be de facto president and maybe the actual president in short order.

Last edited:
Back