• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

Surely there's a local community troupe who'll put on an avant-garde production by an up and coming local playwright?

Either that or perform it as a one man band in the carpark at Aldi?

Surely there's a local community troupe who'll put on an avant-garde production by an up and coming local playwright?

tumblr_mojqsc1y3w1ruyz4so6_540.png

The first hand accounts that I've read have been pretty grim.

It’s certain to affect some people badly. Then again, the media in its current frenzy isn’t going to be very interested in publishing a first hand account of someone saying they had a sore throat and a mild cough.

It’s certain to affect some people badly. Then again, the media in its current frenzy isn’t going to be very interested in publishing a first hand account of someone saying they had a sore throat and a mild cough.

The BBC did exactly that on Thursday. They had a story on their website and featured it on their major news programmes. It was deeply irresponsible of them because downplaying the impact of this will result in people not following the hand washing and other hygiene steps, putting vulnerable people at greater risk.

The BBC did exactly that on Thursday. They had a story on their website and featured it on their major news programmes. It was deeply irresponsible of them because downplaying the impact of this will result in people not following the hand washing and other hygiene steps, putting vulnerable people at greater risk.

Personally, I think there needs to be more balance in the reporting. It is a serious situation and I think people understand that. I teach - the pupils have had no problem grasping the importance of doing the things the government have advised. Many of them have been very anxious, though, despite the fact that the virus poses very little risk to them. We’ve had to work hard to help quite a few of them understand that. The media are doing a good job of terrifying people at present. There’s not much to be gained in that, in my opinion.

Personally, I think there needs to be more balance in the reporting. It is a serious situation and I think people understand that. I teach - the pupils have had no problem grasping the importance of doing the things the government have advised. Many of them have been very anxious, though, despite the fact that the virus poses very little risk to them. The media are doing a good job of terrifying people at present. There’s not much to be gained in that, in my opinion.

I think that there has certainly been a lack of quality coverage. The broadcasters have a lot of time to fill and don't have the budgets for proper journalism any more. The Channel 4 news special last night was good though.

Personally, I think there needs to be more balance in the reporting. It is a serious situation and I think people understand that. I teach - the pupils have had no problem grasping the importance of doing the things the government have advised. Many of them have been very anxious, though, despite the fact that the virus poses very little risk to them. We’ve had to work hard to help quite a few of them understand that. The media are doing a good job of terrifying people at present. There’s not much to be gained in that, in my opinion.
What percentage of those kids have a sibling, parents, grandparent, friend or other significant persons in their life that's in the high risk group?

I can certainly empathize with your point. I try to keep the news at an arms length myself, easy to get pulled in to watching this minute by minute and feel undue anxiety or fear. At the same time I've spoken to people who thought there were no reasons to take this particularly seriously. Getting the majority of people to follow precautions without overwhelming some is probably impossible.

Just a very difficult situation to handle all around.

All London employees of my company have been recommended to work from home next week
The office is staying open in case people want to go in but its not expected
We've been ordered to work from home since Wednesday. We were allowed to bring with us whatever we wanted, like screens, dockings and so on. We have many services that are 24/7, so they wanted to spread out those, and thus needed the space from us working daytime.

Winston Churchill - 1940.

“We shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.”

Boris Johnson - 2020.

“many more families are going to lose loved ones before their time”

Inspirational.

This isn't going to go away in a month or two. China has managed to almost completly wipe out the virus, but it took extreme measures. Currently, Europe seem to not want to fight the virus, but seem content with slowing it down, so the health care system can manage. This means we will have this situation for many, many months, until 40-50% of the population has been infected. That's the reality.

Won’t we need for 90 to 95% of the people in the country to be infected at some stage over the next couple of years for us all to have built up enough immunity so as not to repeat the epidemic in the future?

Won’t we need for 90 to 95% of the people in the country to be infected at some stage over the next couple of years for us all to have built up enough immunity so as not to repeat the epidemic in the future?

No, you just need enough to reduce the R number below one. 40% likely does it. However much I dislike everyone involved, I have to admit it’s probably the best bet, given the extreme unlikeliness of a vaccine, and the fundamental impossibility of global containment.

Back