• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT Spurs vs Leipzig***

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Throughout his career Mourinho has relied on a big hunk of burning love to be a focal point up front - Drogba, Costa Lukaku etc. He then sets up a team to play around them. We have plenty of useful skilful players, but what we don't currently have is a monster at CF.

We desperately need quality monsters at centre half, DM and centre forward. And after tonight, a new goalkeeper! Give Mourinho a team with a solid spine, and I believe we will be successful. However, without real warriors in our squad , we will continue to struggle. Not much he nor anyone else can do about that at the moment.

Wow, someone has finally hit the tickle my balls with a feather.
That's why , even when we were good we never won anything ( and maybe a bit of luck too).
Add new full backs and we are getting close.
£200m spend needed. Whether over one, two or three windows we need quality monsters, so Levy & co , either identify early or pay the money for proven quality monsters like City(Laporte), Liverpool(Van Dyke) and Utd(Maguire) have done.
Utd have learnt from the scousers, you can see it slowly coming together for them.
The blueprint is there.

18 months ago we had the best squad in the country, you could count the players that could have improved us at that time on one hand and not used your thumb.
Sorry that is utter nonsense. There were plenty of players that could have improved us if we could have spent the money to get them. We were never the finished article. That we were so good for a while was that we had a coach who, by pushing players to their physical and mental limits was able to overcome the disadvantages in the squad. We are paying for that overachievement now.

Last edited:
Sorry that is utter nonsense. There were plenty of players that could have improved us if we could have spent the money to get them. We were never the finished article. That we were so good for a while was that we had a coach who, by pushing players to their physical and mental limits was able to overcome the disadvantages in the squad. We are paying for that overachievement now.

Mad people still think this was the case when we had injury hit players like Dembele/Wanyama/Lamela/Dier a 34 year old back up striker, weak full backs and players just back from World Cup.

Plenty of areas to improve on.

And in doing so, arguably pushed himself to the edge of his own mental limits.

Relevant to a few threads really - good article from Jonathan Liew. Depressing but accurate.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...campaign-spurs-leipzig?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
It’s reasonably ok
But if you build a palace it still needs maintenance and as the builder that’s your responsibility to identify and advise your client
Also there is very little reflection on the amount of players missing that would have impacted the game and season but that’s been done to death

Because THAT 12 months was the result of Pochettino being fudging ignored and taken for granted "Oh he'll work another miracle" and you know what? He did! He fudging did! If you don't understand/refuse to try and understand the difference between hard times under him and hard times now, then I think we have little more to discuss.

Just cause you say something doesn't make it true, where's the proof he was ignored and taken for granted. I don't call taking one of the best starting 11's in the league to the league positions we for performing miracles. Above expectations yeah, but at the time we were flying we had the best team in the country.

How can everything good be because of Poch, but everything bad nothing to do with him? I love the guy but he made mistakes as everyone does. The hard times now are a direct result of the hard times then and the good times before that, not removed from them.

The big issue has been on form we used to have a first xi that could compete with most of the big teams in the epl, but even then our squad was painfully thin- we could survive a little time losing one player like Kane but not more than that.

this year we’ve moved on players without replacing them with the same quality and key players from recent years (Toby, Jan, Hugo, Dier) look shadows of them selves, and had our best attackers shorn from the side for long periods.

Mourinho is no miracle worker- he never has been. That was Poch’s skill, ringing the blood out of useless stones, to make us all think we were better than we really were.

it’s disappointing that Jose hasn’t hit the best out of the dross passing for a first team at the moment but until we get our proper first team fit or more of his players in the squad you can’t really judge.

we’re all also overlooking that RB should’ve been out of sight first leg- yesterday we deserved to get hammered by the better team.

There where plenty who could improve us, but very few we could afford at that time.
Nuch like in January when we needed a back up CF, it's debatable if spending money we might need later on is advisable.

I can see why we did what we did, I can also see why what has happened could happen.
What I can't understand is why the board/ckub/levy/poch couldn’t see it as a possibility and be prepared for it. A season in the wilderness was always on the cards, we should have known this, tried to lessen its impact, built a platform to move forward asnd got on with it.
Instead we self destructed.

We desperately need Son and Kane back asap. It's very worrying when Lo Celso is our best player. He's good, but not very good. He doesn't win us games. He works hard and does some nice stuff, but not much that wins games. Doesn't score much, and doesn't deliver assists. That hopefully changes when he actually have a strike force back, but atm he's a bit of Rose/Townsend. Exciting to watch at times, "dynamic", but nothing comes of it.
Until at least one of Kane/Son is back, we're not gonna win many games.

The big issue has been on form we used to have a first xi that could compete with most of the big teams in the epl, but even then our squad was painfully thin- we could survive a little time losing one player like Kane but not more than that.

this year we’ve moved on players without replacing them with the same quality and key players from recent years (Toby, Jan, Hugo, Dier) look shadows of them selves, and had our best attackers shorn from the side for long periods.

Mourinho is no miracle worker- he never has been. That was Poch’s skill, ringing the blood out of useless stones, to make us all think we were better than we really were.

it’s disappointing that Jose hasn’t hit the best out of the dross passing for a first team at the moment but until we get our proper first team fit or more of his players in the squad you can’t really judge.

we’re all also overlooking that RB should’ve been out of sight first leg- yesterday we deserved to get hammered by the better team.
Pochettino developed players, he had his successes and failures, but he developed players very well overall. He didn't get a lot out of nothing and most of the time it took time to get the players to the level needed.

I doubt he would have done much better with the current bunch. He tried for a long time in 2019 in the league and couldn't, that was mostly with more players available than we currently have.

We desperately need Son and Kane back asap. It's very worrying when Lo Celso is our best player. He's good, but not very good. He doesn't win us games. He works hard and does some nice stuff, but not much that wins games. Doesn't score much, and doesn't deliver assists. That hopefully changes when he actually have a strike force back, but atm he's a bit of Rose/Townsend. Exciting to watch at times, "dynamic", but nothing comes of it.
Couldn't disagree more about Lo Celso. He is the one creative element that we have in the team. His passing and vision are excellent. It's not his fault that the rest of the team isn't up to scratch to take advantage of his play.

Also, "Doesn't score much, and doesn't deliver assists" was one of the sticks to beat Modric with and claim that he wasn't world class. Those two stats aren't the only thing to judge a player on.

I didn't agree with getting rid of poch, I could understand it, but didn't agree with it.
Getting in Jose, I neither agreed with it or seen the sense in it.
He is not suitable for us.

José was any easy mistake to make Due to the vast amount of experience he has.
So I totally understand why Levy did what he did. Pochettino had gone on too long! Should have left in the summer of 2018 and moved on, we drained him.

Couldn't disagree more about Lo Celso. He is the one creative element that we have in the team. His passing and vision are excellent. It's not his fault that the rest of the team isn't up to scratch to take advantage of his play.

Also, "Doesn't score much, and doesn't deliver assists" was one of the sticks to beat Modric with and claim that he wasn't world class. Those two stats aren't the only thing to judge a player on.
Read it again, please. I said this might be because of our lack of attackers! Yes, hes does good stuff, and he's a good player, but does he win us games? No. That's a fact. Therefore, as I said, It's vital to get our best players back, because Lo Celso can't win us games on his own, like Bale could.

No player wins games on his own. It's the comparison to Rose/Townsend, two headless chickens that sounds really damning of him.
If you feel his work is not getting rewarded because of the lack of good options in front of him then fair enough.

Right now from what I’ve seen of Lo Celso he is arguably my the best CM in the league... but as you say he is literally feeding no one because of our current problems

I’m weary of putting too much of our current problems at the door of Kane and Sons absence.
Our defending has been woeful which is more/as relevant.

Back