• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT: Mighty Spurs vs Chelscumski

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I actually think midfield is one of our better positions at the moment, GLC is brilliant, Winks' form is improving, Gedson is a decent prospect. I'd be more worried about the defence and attack

How then did we lose the ball time after time playing out from the back?

yeah, but it would allow moura and Steve to operate on the wings where they are happy, play Lamela amf...4 2 3 1.

the current set up equals slow death performances and results

That’s a fair point.

yet our set up suggests we feel sorry for ourselves.

Our set up suggests damage limitation.

sometimes in life you must go aggressive and hung ho against adversity...our whole demeanour and approach suggests ‘giving up’

I like Mourinho, I appreciate his candid interviews, but I feel his approach has been wrong this week, very wrong indeed...not that I’m ignorant to our bricke fixture schedule or fitness/injury issues.

Edit wtf thought I was replying to Bedford! Yep I’m so frustrated I’m talking to myself.

How then did we lose the ball time after time playing out from the back?

The one option in front of them was Bergwijn, who was marked by 3 CBs. We didnt create options - look at where our full backs played....never pushing on to provide options. We played a flat back 5 FFS!!

I wouldn’t say we have one top quality CM player - all have flaws in the game - something that needs addressing in the summer.

Along with most areas.

Signing players maybe not be the answer (tho I think we need one new CM). We need a steady setup with players knowing where and how to move, to be able to play the ball quickly to each other to open up the press.

We may as well have played the youth team today. The only positive might be that where Poch would have had us fighting in their faces, giving everything, and we'd have probably still lost or drawn, maybe Mourinho accepted it was a tough ask, and set us up to stay compact and conserve some energy for the CL.

Signing players maybe not be the answer (tho I think we need one new CM). We need a steady setup with players knowing where and how to move, to be able to play the ball quickly to each other to open up the press.

None of the CM seem to look after the ball very well, either a poor pass or the wrong pass.

We don’t stand a chance till we sort this out - Lo Celso passing % must be in the 70s today.

We may as well have played the youth team today. The only positive might be that where Poch would have had us fighting in their faces, giving everything, and we'd have probably still lost or drawn, maybe Mourinho accepted it was a tough ask, and set us up to stay compact and conserve some energy for the CL.

We suffered a pretty limp 2-0 defeat there under Poch last season IIRC.

With the tactics, I agree. Playing 5-4-1 was nonsense. I think most of us assumed it was 3-5-2 when we saw the line-ups, but with the full-back sitting back, GLC morooned on the wing and Bergwign not having support, it was only a matter of time til they scored

We suffered a pretty limp 2-0 defeat there under Poch last season IIRC.

I think the way the game opened, chelsea were not confident. Put a bit of pressure on them, and maybe we might have played the game out of our half. Instead, all the game was in our half. With 2 teams who were lacking confidence and their prefered forward line, we let them have lots of the ball to help them find their feet.

Poch would have left us more open at the back, but we might have controlled that game and started by putting them under pressure rather than the other way round.

maybe he’s not the messiah...

Don't think there is any such thing. Successful management is a combination of a lot of factors - right man, right time, right squad.

I have faith in José and I don't think he took over at a great time or with a great squad. But the last two games have raised questions over whether he still has it or has the game passed him by.

I still think he has it but don't hold out much hope for the rest of this season.

Except that shouldn't have been that tough a game, they aren't that good and are there for the taking, if we'd turned up.

I think the way the game opened, chelsea were not confident. Put a bit of pressure on them, and maybe we might have played the game out of our half. Instead, all the game was in our half. With 2 teams who were lacking confidence and their prefered forward line, we let them have lots of the ball to help them find their feet.

Poch would have left us more open at the back, but we might have controlled that game and started by putting them under pressure rather than the other way round.

Couldn't agree more with your analysis of the game. Spot on.

But the Poch team we saw for the last 12-18 months of his reign would have lost today too.

None of the CM seem to look after the ball very well, either a poor pass or the wrong pass.

We don’t stand a chance till we sort this out - Lo Celso passing % must be in the 70s today.

Lo Celco did well midweek, and maybe paid for that a little today. He does that thing Alli does, hold the ball, when a quick pass is needed. BUT at least he's up to speed. Competing. Which is more than can be said for Ndombele, who is currently a novelty player - shows off some tricks - but isn't up to speed and doing the basics yet.

I just want to see us pass the ball well. Move it quickly around the back. Have Ndombele and Winks show for passes and be comfortable taking the ball, with wide players ready to move into space for them etc. All top teams can pass the ball out of defense. With a slight press, we crumble.

Except that shouldn't have been that tough a game, they aren't that good and are there for the taking, if we'd turned up.

I agree. I thought Mourinho got that all wrong. 1. he was so negative post Son injury. Plenty of quality in the team, man up. Fight back. 2. He set us up for the past two games to be extremely negative. All it did was give the opposition impetus and lots of the ball. My point was, if Mourinho wanted us to conserve some energy, stay compact and see out the game, he may as well have started some youth players like Skipp who could run themselves into the ground, closing down.

Couldn't agree more with your analysis of the game. Spot on.

But the Poch team we saw for the last 12-18 months of his reign would have lost today too.

Right. In which case maybe Mourinho is more canny. Poch would have had us fighting, we'd have lost or drawn anyway and be knackered for the CL.

Back