• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Spurs v Villa

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I watched the game again last night and I thought he was superb. I also think he leads by example and everything Villa do goes through him. So I would buy him on the basis that he would be that leader in midfield that we have long lacked. But two things he was fudging me off how easily he went over and he was knackered in the last 10 minutes.
He doesn’t play midfield though
He would play in the attacking part of the side so deles role maybe
But I still think we will end up 4-3-3

The Dier/Winks partnership is not part of the plan, think we all need to acknowledge the side put out was in full anticipation that this was the weakest opponent out of 3 in a week, this was the game to take liberties.

I do agree that the opposition (fans and pundits) due to how we are playing have probably a false sense of what they could/should get out of game. I disagree that at full strength we will win by occasional goal, if Harry was playing yesterday I could have seen that as a comfortable 4-1 type win.

This side in the counter attack phase (just flashes at momenet) looks like we can tear an opponent apart, on clinical days there will be some fun scorelines.

I think we all agree that Mourinho has a plan and he knows where he wants to take us. Also, I don't doubt for a second that any half-decent manager knows a lot more about the game than I do, let alone someone with Mourinho's pedigree.

Having said that... I'm not sure I entirely agree with your points. First of all, I have my doubts that we'll ever be clinical enough to win by landslides. At least, not until we get better defenders and midfielders. At the moment, our fowards and attacking midfielders have to work very hard (swapping positions and helping the rest of the team) and I believe that comes at the price of their efficiency in front of goal.

And while I agree and understand that Mourinho had to rotate the team, it says a lot about where we stand at the moment when we can't beat Villa properly after introducing two fringe players into the team. Of course, we would have done better with Kane in the side, but that doesn't take anything away from the fact that we had a shocking opening 30 minutes or so.

The City game probably raised (my) expectations a little too high. Villa were always going to be a different opponent but, depending on whether you're a glass half full or half empty kind of person, we either made life difficult for ourselves or we were... lucky, I guess! Having said that, I remember everyone used to say the same things when Porto won the CL...

I think we all agree that Mourinho has a plan and he knows where he wants to take us. Also, I don't doubt for a second that any half-decent manager knows a lot more about the game than I do, let alone someone with Mourinho's pedigree.

Having said that... I'm not sure I entirely agree with your points. First of all, I have my doubts that we'll ever be clinical enough to win by landslides. At least, not until we get better defenders and midfielders. At the moment, our fowards and attacking midfielders have to work very hard (swapping positions and helping the rest of the team) and I believe that comes at the price of their efficiency in front of goal.

And while I agree and understand that Mourinho had to rotate the team, it says a lot about where we stand at the moment when we can't beat Villa properly after introducing two fringe players into the team. Of course, we would have done better with Kane in the side, but that doesn't take anything away from the fact that we had a shocking opening 30 minutes or so.

The City game probably raised (my) expectations a little too high. Villa were always going to be a different opponent but, depending on whether you're a glass half full or half empty kind of person, we either made life difficult for ourselves or we were... lucky, I guess! Having said that, I remember everyone used to say the same things when Porto won the CL...
Villa were only in the game though because Toby was poor and he himself said it was Cause he was knackered
That was as comfortable a performance as you could get with the chances we created but the misses were really poor
But every attack we had we looked like we could create a chance

The game bypassed midfield completely until Lo Celso came on for us
It was their tactic too
3 at the back and give it to Jack.

You want Soumare along with some other fans but he has a rep for being naive and error prone too so what are his strengths?

I said in here yesterday I’ve heard via some coaching guys we’re looking at a Celtic midfielder Ntcham who I’ve never seen play. When I asked why were looking at him they said £25m and consistently good at everything

That's three celtic players getting mentioned on here as targets, that's worrying, especially after being linked with Morelos. And Ntcham is not a £25M player.

That's three celtic players getting mentioned on here as targets, that's worrying, especially after being linked with Morelos. And Ntcham is not a £25M player.
Nothing wrong with taking the players that stand out at the two big clubs in Scotland. The physicality of the game up there is similar so if a player can cope with that and shows good skill then they should be able to play PL football.

After the dogs abuse I gave his overall performance on Sunday, I have to take my hat off to Sonny. Something looked wrong and it quite clearly was from about 38 seconds in. And yet he scored two goals.

Definitely my favourite Spurs player and he's gone up a few notches in my estimation.

You get used to humble pie after a while...

Never seen him play. Just going on what I’ve heard via some football folk

I know quite a few celtic fans (not sure that counts as football folk :)) and they would have bitten Portos hand off in the summer when they offered £12m for Ntcham.
He's decent and the level of player we could have taken a punt on, but our ambition is bigger than that now.

I know quite a few celtic fans (not sure that counts as football folk :)) and they would have bitten Portos hand off in the summer when they offered £12m for Ntcham.
He's decent and the level of player we could have taken a punt on, but our ambition is bigger than that now.
Like I say it came via some coaches I know of who know the club
I’ve never seen him play and just know he is a DM

It is great to continue our winning run but we really made hard work if it. It is good to come back from behind to win but we really should not have conceded 2 goals to teams like Villa. This match shows yet again that we need to improve our defending. Mourinhi really needs to do something about our defence if we want to finish in top 4 this season.

Credit to Alderweireld and Son for the goals. But we really should have scored more goals than that. Son, Moura and Alli wasted too many goal scoring chances. Well done to Son for continuing his goal scoring run but he wasted many goal scoring chances. Even his penalty was poor for our second goal but fortunately Son scored the rebound. Credit to Bergwijn for winning the penalty but too bad he didn't score any goals.

Our midfield had a mixed match. We played well in patches but we failed to control the midfield. This match shows yet again that we need to defensive midfielder to control the midfield. Dier and Winks are not he solution for our midfield problems. Too bad Ndombele has become error-prone and was not involved in this match.

Our defence conceded 2 poor goals. Lloris and Alderweireld was at fault for their first goal. Lloris should have come out to collect the ball but he failed to do so which forced Alderweireld into scoring the own goal. Alderweired was also at fault for their second goal when he failed to head the ball clear. This match shows we need Vertonghen to get the best out of Alderweireld.

We almost threw away valuable points but fortunately we managed to scored the winning goal. But we need to improve our performance if we want to finish in top 4 this seaosn. Hope Mourinho will use all his magic to improve our performance for the remaining matches.

Back