• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Bale. Could we? Would we? Should we?

So done with this brick from Levy. Feels like every deadline day, way back to the Aguero farce, we brief that we’ve ‘made a breakthrough’ or are looking seriously as a player that would usually be way out of our price range.

It’s all very exciting for an hour or two, until
the story is released that we just couldn’t get it done. It was just a little bit too far to push. Absolutely convinced he briefs the press so it looks like we are showing ambition but we actually aren’t.

giphy.gif

So done with this brick from Levy. Feels like every deadline day, way back to the Aguero farce, we brief that we’ve ‘made a breakthrough’ or are looking seriously as a player that would usually be way out of our price range.

the story is released that we just couldn’t get it done. It was just a little bit too far to push. Absolutely convinced he briefs the press so it looks like we are showing ambition but we actually aren’t.
This is GG not SC...

I'm not sure he's worth pursuing anymore. It's a romantic dream but if he comes he'll likely never be close to what we expect and it will likely undo the reputation he has with us as a Spurs player.

That's the West Ham Way, my friend

Lol you fell for the rumours and blame levy?

Sent from my SM-G975F using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

It’s not just Bale, it’s every window, right back to Aguero, these ‘attempts’ to sign players that are obviously way out of our budget and that would take an immensely complex deal to actually happen, and we go for it on deadline day supposedly.

I’m not blaming Levy because we didn’t get this particular deal done, I’m blaming him because it’s a pattern that happens nearly every window, and what I’m annoyed about is not that we don’t get the deals done, because I don’t think we’re ever actually serious. I think we brief to the press that we’ve made a breakthrough or are making a serious bid, and then we hear later in the day it just wasn’t possible. It’s a repeated pattern and I’m pretty sure it’s PR guff to make fans feel like we are showing a level of ambition that we actually aren’t.

The Times don’t write that story out of nowhere. Someone briefs them. And given that it’s a repeated pattern at Spurs over multiple transfer windows, I’m pretty sure it comes from our side. Just a bit fed up of these pretend bids for obviously unattainable players that don’t fit anything remotely close to the budget or the strategy we have for signing players at any other point.

So yeah, I blame him for a PR trick that he pulls repeatedly.

I'm not sure he's worth pursuing anymore. It's a romantic dream but if he comes he'll likely never be close to what we expect and it will likely undo the reputation he has with us as a Spurs player.

Yeah I think this is the problem. I got very excited about the prospect but I'm expecting the Bale of 2013-2017. He's 30, he's picking up a lot of injuries, there's even questions about his commitment to his profession now. I think that if he played, he'd still contribute but I could see him getting sidelined by injury every few games as his impact diminishes because the pace and power that make him such a great player deteriorate with age.

Heart says yes, head says maybe not.

It’s not just Bale, it’s every window, right back to Aguero, these ‘attempts’ to sign players that are obviously way out of our budget and that would take an immensely complex deal to actually happen, and we go for it on deadline day supposedly.

I’m not blaming Levy because we didn’t get this particular deal done, I’m blaming him because it’s a pattern that happens nearly every window, and what I’m annoyed about is not that we don’t get the deals done, because I don’t think we’re ever actually serious. I think we brief to the press that we’ve made a breakthrough or are making a serious bid, and then we hear later in the day it just wasn’t possible. It’s a repeated pattern and I’m pretty sure it’s PR guff to make fans feel like we are showing a level of ambition that we actually aren’t.

The Times don’t write that story out of nowhere. Someone briefs them. And given that it’s a repeated pattern at Spurs over multiple transfer windows, I’m pretty sure it comes from our side. Just a bit fed up of these pretend bids for obviously unattainable players that don’t fit anything remotely close to the budget or the strategy we have for signing players at any other point.

If you're right then I totally agree.
Problem is our business is seldom leaked or the press briefed on it, so Im doubtful about it.
I also think that the press know this and use it to their advantage.
Cynical, me? Absolutely.

Yeah I think this is the problem. I got very excited about the prospect but I'm expecting the Bale of 2013-2017. He's 30, he's picking up a lot of injuries, there's even questions about his commitment to his profession now. I think that if he played, he'd still contribute but I could see him getting sidelined by injury every few games as his impact diminishes because the pace and power that make him such a great player deteriorate with age.

Heart says yes, head says maybe not.

This makes total sense when only considering the on-pitch contribution. But a signing like Bale would, I think, really help to elevate us in terms of off-pitch profile and clout, bridging the gap to the true elite level clubs. I remember thinking similar over the proposed Beckham loan 9-10 years back. It would have been so much more than just a short term, on-pitch addition.

You can argue over the extent to which such considerations should come into the calculation, but they shouldn't be ignored altogether IMO.

I think you give these stories and the publications which push them too much credit, made up out of thin air would be my guess and file it alongside celebrity gossip 'news'

I really think you should not put to much faith into what you read all the time, papers have to fill their pages and i believe they do not care that much if those stories are correct or not.

One of the things that really does baffle me in todays world is how people get caught up in the rubbish they read in the papers and on Twa tt er.

Back