• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Winks

I don't think that Winks did anything wrong today. Was a 6 out of 10 'fine' type performance. He isn't a defensive midfielder and it shows but until we go into the market and buy one we either play Winks or Dier (who does a far worse job there than Winks playing out of position).

I get it, everyone is entitled to their opinion but methinks there is a lot of tosh being spoken about Winks in this thread. Lets look at yesterday for instance, we played a back 4, with Winks as a defensive midfielder with the attacking quintet of Lo Celso, Lamela, Dele, Son and Moura, and people think Winks is the problem? Give me a fukking break.

I am more concerned that the two naturally defensive midfielders we have are Wanyama who is finished, and Dier, who this season has proved that at the moment he simply is not good enough. Maybe if we actually bought a proper defensive midfielder to play in the team the whole midfield would look better.

I get it, everyone is entitled to their opinion but methinks there is a lot of tosh being spoken about Winks in this thread. Lets look at yesterday for instance, we played a back 4, with Winks as a defensive midfielder with the attacking quintet of Lo Celso, Lamela, Dele, Son and Moura, and people think Winks is the problem? Give me a fukking break.

I am more concerned that the two naturally defensive midfielders we have are Wanyama who is finished, and Dier, who this season has proved that at the moment he simply is not good enough. Maybe if we actually bought a proper defensive midfielder to play in the team the whole midfield would look better.

A fit Ndombele will ease this situation but I don't see JM bringing in a new DM ATM.

Winks has all the ability in the world, but needs to start taking ownership and showing leadership.

If someone isn’t moving ahead of him - he needs to demand that player moves and scream at him rather than just accept it.

He’s too passive.

We have too many 'nice' or passive players this is a legacy of the previous management regime.

Winks was fine yesterday. As Naija said, our bigger issue yesterday was our front 4-5 not creating anything.

I've noticed that he drifts out wide a lot of the time leaving the central areas open, not a great idea for a CM or Acting-DM. As others have said he has a lot of ability but doesn't fully show it. Finds space but won't demand the ball and when he does get it more often than not he'll turn and play a simple pass sideways or backwards. I've seen him many a time carry the ball well and beat his man before finding a decent forward pass, just doesn't do it enough maybe it's a confidence issue.

You are correct in all of those points.
However.....the conclusion about Winks (bar the very very occasional game) is always the same, no matter what the formation or personnel.

What do you make of that?
I. Is Winks so Special that we shall build a team around him?
II. Is he so limited that he is only effectively under very specific conditions?
III. Is he just not very good?

For me it's II.

You are correct in all of those points.
However.....the conclusion about Winks (bar the very very occasional game) is always the same, no matter what the formation or personnel.

II. Is he so limited that he is only effectively under very specific conditions?

For me it's II.

II and III

For me it's II.

I. As we do not have Messi I would not build a team around any of our players
II. I do not think he is limited, I just think our midfield is limited because he has to play as the most defensive midfielder in the team. It is like saying Son plays on the left but then judging him when he plays as a left wing back in a semi final against Chelsea and then slag him off as many people did after that match.
III. I find this question tedious

But if Winks doesn't help create, what does he do? He is the WORST offender when it comes to lack of invention, as far as I'm concerned.

Why the fukk are we depending on Winks to invent when he is playing as the sole defensive midfielder and we have Lamela, Lo Celso, Dele, Son and Moura on the pitch?

Silly me, we are Spurs, and for a moment I forgot that our fans feel incomplete if they do not have one person to biatch at, and Sissoko is injured

Why the fukk are we depending on Winks to invent when he is playing as the sole defensive midfielder and we have Lamela, Lo Celso, Dele, Son and Moura on the pitch?

Silly me, we are Spurs, and for a moment I forgot that our fans feel incomplete if they do not have one person to biatch at, and Sissoko is injured

Never heard of a deep lying playmaker? He should be providing the base for invention by kicking it off. Which he never fudging does.

Back