• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Youth Players/On-Loan Thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.itsroundanditswhite.co.uk/articles/dennis-cirkin-tottenham-defensive-problems

Can Dennis Cirkin help with Tottenham's defensive problems?

By Emmanuel Odey
Tuesday 31st December 2019

Jose Mourinho has done a decent job since taking over at Tottenham. The Portuguese manager returned the side to winning ways after Mauricio Pochettino failed to maintain the high standard he initially set at White Hart Lane. The Argentine's good work ensured that Spurs became a regular top-four team in the Premier League, even challenging for the title on occasion. But the team fell apart defensively this term. Three wins in 12 league games was the result - with just one clean sheet.

Used to the new-found success and expecting even more after reaching last season's Champions League final, Daniel Levy had a decision to make. Keep faith with a manager who has taken the club from being an annually average side to a regular top-four candidate? Or make a change to halt the downward spiral and save the club's season? In the end, Levy chose the latter and pulled the plug on Poch.

He took a gamble on Mourinho as the man to put Spurs back on the right track. It was a surprising decision to many who feel the 56-year-old is no longer all-that special. The serial winner had become a shadow of his former self after failing to replicate his success of years gone by in his most recent projects. Now commonly referred to as "the humble one", the former Chelsea gaffer has justified Levy's decision by restoring the club's hope of a top-four finish at the end of the campaign.

The team was 12 points adrift of the Champions League places place when he took over. But only a surprise draw at Norwich prevented the Lilywhites from overtaking Frank Lampard's Chelsea to fourth place (albeit temporarily). Going behind twice in the game only to fight back and earn a draw bought back memories of an all too familiar problem this season. In his eight league games in charge (and ten overall), Spurs has only kept one clean sheet. The lack of a proper left-back is rearing its ugly head.

Although Spurs boasts of some of the best centre-backs in the division, they've missed the contribution from their full-backs. Serge Aurier is a decent player, but Kieran Trippier offered so much more than the former Paris Saint-Germain does. It's difficult to understand why Pochettino sanctioned his sale to Atletico Madrid.

On the left side, Ben Davies has been battling with injury for most of the campaign while Danny Rose is struggling with fitness issues. Their absence has led to Jan Vertonghen having to operate on the left side of the back three. Without having the legs to bump up and down the left side of the pitch, it has led to instability.

Vertonghen's ineffectiveness in the position explains why he has been substituted in two of the club's last three games. In fact, he was pulled out at half time against Norwich. At a time when Mourinho should be thinking of reinforcing his midfield or forward line to overwhelm the opponent, he is usually bothered about his defence.

But there could be a solution in youngster Dennis Cirkin.

The club's academy prospect who has distinguished himself as a top talent while playing for the U18s and U19s can do a decent job if given the chance. The teenage left-back could provide necessary cover in the position and maybe grow to become Spurs' own Trent Alexander-Arnold. That will allow Vertonghen and Alderweireld to give their best at the heart of the defence. Davinson Sanchez will be on hand to give either of them rest when necessary.

In an age where youngsters are given the chance to make their mark and grow into the senior team, the 17-year-old should not be held back. His introduction will benefit all parties involved. His development will be fast-tracked, the team's results will likely improve and Mourinho can have one more thing to brag about: he gave Cirkin his big break.

Lampard demonstrated the forward-thinking that future managers must adopt when he bought in 19-year-old right-back Tariq Lamptey against Arsenal on Sunday. But he is not the only one. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has played 19-year-old Brandon Williams in Manchester United's defence with regularity. And for anyone who thinks Cirkin is too young to fit into the senior team, Barcelona's Anssumane Fati is also 17. So is Inter's Sebastiano Esposito.

After almost a year out of work, Mourinho must adapt to the new way of thinking and include Cirkin in his team. That will be necessary not only to compete against the big guns but to put Tottenham ahead in the long run...

do you think the person who wrote this has ever seen dennis cirkin play?

i do not.

“In an age where youngsters are given the chance to make their mark and grow into the senior team, the 17-year-old should not be held back.
His introduction will benefit all parties involved. His development will be fast-tracked, the team's results will likely improve”

:D:D:D

Wow. Have to admit I’d underestimated the substantial change to be made at an entire club level, by simply throwing a bang average teenage left back out of his depth into premier league football.

If we were way out of the race but safe from relegation, then I'd take the opportunity to find answers from within our youth ranks. That is however not the case, so he'll be very fortunate to get anything just yet.

You sometimes feel with these journo's that they pin their name to a youth player so that if/when they blow up they can say they knew the player was good enough from the beginning.

I think Skipp is one who probably would've been risked now had we looked close to closing out a game. Now we have Fernandes on board I hope we will give him a loan somewhere.

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/jack-clarke-completes-qpr-loan-move/

JACK Clarke has joined QPR on loan from Tottenham Hotspur for the remainder of the 2019/20 campaign.

The 19-year-old forward, who can play on the wing or up front, came through the ranks at Leeds United before signing for Spurs last summer.

Following his switch to north London, Clarke was immediately loaned back to the Elland Road outfit for the current season.

That loan was cut short by Spurs, however, allowing Mark Warburton the opportunity to bring him to Rangers.

After breaking through at Leeds and making 25 appearances last term – which saw him named their Young Player of the Year – Clarke is now excited about his upcoming spell with the R’s.

“I am delighted and looking forward to getting started,” he said. “Hopefully I can kick on and help the team.

“I like to create chances, take people on, I’m very direct with the ball and love running with it.”

Clarke admits Warburton played a key role in his decision to join QPR, explaining: “I spoke to Mark a fair few times.

“He was one of the main factors in me coming here - in terms of how he wants to play football and how he sees me fitting in.”

Clarke could make his debut this weekend against Leeds, and he admitted: “You couldn’t write it, could you?

“I am just excited to get going and to kick-start things with my new team.”

R’s boss Warburton added: “I’m really pleased to bring Jack in – he is a talented, young, hungry player with lots of energy and there’s no doubts about his quality.

“I am looking forward to working with him.”

Warburton explained why bringing Clarke in was important as he prepares his squad for the second half of the campaign, adding: “Right now we have Ilias Chair, Bright Osayi-Samuel and Ebere Eze doing exceptionally well for us but with injuries, suspensions, form, you need to have options.

“Jack provides that. He can play on the left, on the right, or in the centre so we are delighted to have him.

“Hopefully the fans will see the quality that he has.”

Clarke attracted the attention of a number of clubs, and Warburton believes the education on offer at QPR helped our bid to bring the England U20 international to west London.

“The feedback we have had is very positive,” Warburton said. “Whenever you take a young player you have a responsibility – some work, some don’t, nobody has a crystal ball.

“Certainly the London location, our attacking style of play and having a number of young players developing in the team has made us a good proposition and long may that continue.”

Clarke will wear squad number 47, the same number he wore at Leeds, and could make his QPR debut against his former club when we host Marcelo Bielsa’s side at Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium on Saturday

Paris Maghoma has joined Brentford!

disappointed with that, I thought he was mustard whenever I’d seen him play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back