• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Tottenham Hotspur Vs Liverpool

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Any time I've seen Liverpool they have been good, except when they play us. The last three games, this season and CL final, they haven't looked all that, yet still won.

So frustrating, if they completely played us off the park winning 4/5-0 ok, but its the way they keep just winning against us. Anfield this season, Son with an open goal to make it 2-0 and he hits the bar, Liverpool go on to win 2-1. Sissoko through on goal at Anfield last season with the score level and nearing the end of the game and he blazes it over the bar, Liverpool go on to win 2-1

CL final Sissoko gives away a penalty in the first minute, Liverpool create little else all game,

Arghhhhhh

Any time I've seen Liverpool they have been good, except when they play us. The last three games, this season and CL final, they haven't looked all that, yet still won.

I was reasonably bouyd by the overall performance. They though should/could have been 2 or 3 in the first 15 minutes?

So frustrating, if they completely played us off the park winning 4/5-0 ok, but its the way they keep just winning against us. Anfield this season, Son with an open goal to make it 2-0 and he hits the bar, Liverpool go on to win 2-1. Sissoko through on goal at Anfield last season with the score level and nearing the end of the game and he blazes it over the bar, Liverpool go on to win 2-1

CL final Sissoko gives away a penalty in the first minute, Liverpool create little else all game,

Arghhhhhh
You make a good point. Big game players score in big games. Others panic, lean back and spoon it over the goal.

No one thought we would win the game did they?, but we came away and all the lads were enthused by how we played. If we can keep that intensity going forward we should improve our position.

We had the chances but fluffed them, but overall i see some light at the end of the tunnel. So many good performances but my MOM was Sanchez who really stood out.

No one thought we would win the game did they?, but we came away and all the lads were enthused by how we played. If we can keep that intensity going forward we should improve our position.

We had the chances but fluffed them, but overall i see some light at the end of the tunnel. So many good performances but my MOM was Sanchez who really stood out.

Thought Sanchez was outstanding bar one terrible misplaced pass second half. Defensively he was sublime though. There was a tackle, also in the second half, that I couldn't figure out how he did at the time. On several occasions when the Dippers tried to utilise the pace of their front 3, Sanchez was more than equal to it and used his strength to seal the deal.

It was one of those performances that make me think he's our best centre half by a distance. Unfortunately, he's still capable of awful performances too which I hope is a sign of his age rather than an underlying problem. Either way, I think Jose should be playing him week in and week out. Maybe him and Tanganga are the future.

Thought Sanchez was outstanding bar one terrible misplaced pass second half. Defensively he was sublime though. There was a tackle, also in the second half, that I couldn't figure out how he did at the time. On several occasions when the Dippers tried to utilise the pace of their front 3, Sanchez was more than equal to it and used his strength to seal the deal.

It was one of those performances that make me think he's our best centre half by a distance. Unfortunately, he's still capable of awful performances too which I hope is a sign of his age rather than an underlying problem. Either way, I think Jose should be playing him week in and week out. Maybe him and Tanganga are the future.
The tackle on Salad? He turned with the ball too and made a solid firm pass because he knew it would get there

The tackle on Salad? He turned with the ball too and made a solid firm pass because he knew it would get there

Yeah, the very one. I was at the other end and it looked almost unnatural because we were just waiting for Salah to burst the net. I couldn't figure it out.

Just watched Jose's press conference. He's a wizard with the media - question about transfers and he turns it into a Tanganga love in. Brilliant. I'm making this prediction now. Yesterday was a turning point. Not in terms of the result obviously but it was the first Mourinho-like performance from us. He set out a plan for a team struggling with injuries against the best side in the country and it nearly worked. There was a lot of discipline throughout that performance and we looked well drilled.

We're gonna kick on from this. I've no idea if we'll get top 4 but I believe we will see a very different Spurs over the next few months compared to what we've seen up to now. There's light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm making this prediction now. Yesterday was a turning point. Not in terms of the result obviously but it was the first Mourinho-like performance from us. He set out a plan for a team struggling with injuries against the best side in the country and it nearly worked. There was a lot of discipline throughout that performance and we looked well drilled.

As @billyiddo pointed out, what we haven't seen is how we will approach games against sides that don't try to dominate us. That draw against Boro looks costly now, otherwise we'd have a week to work on it.

As @billyiddo pointed out, what we haven't seen is how we will approach games against sides that don't try to dominate us. That draw against Boro looks costly now, otherwise we'd have a week to work on it.

True but I'm predicting a run of results based on a solid defence where we won't concede. If we don't concede, we'll pick up points and won't need much against the sides we've traditionally struggled to break down.

I may be nuts but if you don't have hope, no matter how forlorn, you're not a Spurs fan.

True but I'm predicting a run of results based on a solid defence where we won't concede. If we don't concede, we'll pick up points and won't need much against the sides we've traditionally struggled to break down.

I may be nuts but if you don't have hope, no matter how forlorn, you're not a Spurs fan.

I would expect our approach in defence to be different against teams that pressure us less.

I must say, I’m surprised at the José takes from good journos over the last couple of days. And I say this as someone who thinks Levy potentially made a mistake by sacking Poch and going for José, but I think the takes have been bad.

All of the talk of reactive football, taking Spurs back years, I just don’t think that was true. On another day we win that game and are talking about beating the best side in the world. There was clearly a plan, keep it as tight as possible, and then strike when we saw the opening. It nearly worked. The Chelsea game was horrendous, the absolute worst. Southampton poor. Norwich not great. Boro laboured. But this was good. When we attacked it was with intensity, we created clear chances, and we looked like we were swarming them. If this was the first real taste of Mourinho intensity, then I have no real problem with a game plan that involves keeping it tight. As long as we raise our level when we decide to push for the goals. It’s what big games often look like.

That, coupled with some reasonably innovative thinking and flexibility in going from what looked like a back 3 to a 4-4-2 with Aurier on the right wing, and giving Japhet a chance, I thought it was a really positive window in to what we could be like. These last few months have been really hard, everyone has stagnated, but if there is some light at the end of the tunnel, certain players getting their moves, certain others coming in to shake it up, youth getting their shot when deserved, we’ll be ok.

My big boss at work (Liverpool fan) was in The Tunnel Club on Saturday
He said the hospitality was absolutely incredible

I must say, I’m surprised at the José takes from good journos over the last couple of days. And I say this as someone who thinks Levy potentially made a mistake by sacking Poch and going for José, but I think the takes have been bad.

All of the talk of reactive football, taking Spurs back years, I just don’t think that was true. On another day we win that game and are talking about beating the best side in the world. There was clearly a plan, keep it as tight as possible, and then strike when we saw the opening. It nearly worked. The Chelsea game was horrendous, the absolute worst. Southampton poor. Norwich not great. Boro laboured. But this was good. When we attacked it was with intensity, we created clear chances, and we looked like we were swarming them. If this was the first real taste of Mourinho intensity, then I have no real problem with a game plan that involves keeping it tight. As long as we raise our level when we decide to push for the goals. It’s what big games often look like.

That, coupled with some reasonably innovative thinking and flexibility in going from what looked like a back 3 to a 4-4-2 with Aurier on the right wing, and giving Japhet a chance, I thought it was a really positive window in to what we could be like. These last few months have been really hard, everyone has stagnated, but if there is some light at the end of the tunnel, certain players getting their moves, certain others coming in to shake it up, youth getting their shot when deserved, we’ll be ok.
Yup, the rope-a-dope tactics were spot on (considering the current state of our squad) and if Son or Lo Celso were a bit more clinical in front of goal (how we could’ve done with Kane) we might’ve very well ended the World champions unbeaten run.

upload_2020-1-13_13-21-26.png

I have no real complaints with Saturdays performance other than I would have preferred for Lo Celso to start instead of Eriksen. But the tactics and approach itself was spot on and we really limited them to very few clear opportunities.

I do think a better midfield from ourselves, an available Ndombele/Lo Celso and we would have shown more quality in deeper positions and would have likely sprung some higher quality counters and limited Liverpool even more so.

Not sure if it's a go to shape for every match, it will depend on how we compose the CM, some variation of Ndombele and Lo Celso and it could possibly work across a number of matches. I am a little bit concerned it could be too negative in those games where we would expect to have sizable possession of the ball.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

I would expect our approach in defence to be different against teams that pressure us less.

Agreed. I don't expect us to set up like we did on Saturday against lesser sides. Jose would be lynched if we did.

I just think Saturday will give the players more belief in the manager and vice versa and we'll start to look more like a successful Jose team.

Agreed. I don't expect us to set up like we did on Saturday against lesser sides. Jose would be lynched if we did.

I just think Saturday will give the players more belief in the manager and vice versa and we'll start to look more like a successful Jose team.

I am not sure that we have the tools right now to play a more attacking game but it is encouraging that the team looked better organised after a week to prepare for this game. It is a real shame that the replay means that we don't have the same for Watford.

I am not sure that we have the tools right now to play a more attacking game but it is encouraging that the team looked better organised after a week to prepare for this game. It is a real shame that the replay means that we don't have the same for Watford.

I actually think Watford will be a real good test of my theory/thinking. They’re a team on the up, fairly horrible to play against and they have bullied us out of it before.

If we go there and win 1-0 or 2-0, I think that’ll be a good sign that Jose is finally moulding the team in his image. If we get beat then it’s probably proof that I’m talking bollox.

Back