• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Y word

I'm really offended by ynwa, and that the opposition having to endure that brick before every game at brickfield, and broadcasters and commentators are told to shut up during it! I find that a lot more offensive. Can we get a ban on that?

Ah, man, I'd love that! I fudging hate that they can make every team stand and listen to that brick before playing. Absolute gonad*s.

My comment comes from a more general place, than specific.

I think in years past a degree of sense was applied to situations, and people reacted accordingly.

These days? Everything is offensive. Unintended, incidental, clearly meant in another way... I AM OFFENDED!!!

In this instance it just strikes me as frankly odd that someone could see literal support and find offence in it.

Though Im not Jewish, nor of a minority background, so hold my hands up to potential ignorance on my part.

Even so, Im old enough to think of "the old days", and see the difference. As much as things have changed over the years, its not always progress.

They might've got a better understanding of the situation by asking, Are you...;

a) genuinely, actually, really, old school-offended

or b) 2019-offended?

As a Spurs fan outside of London I do like getting a friendly "Yiddoooo!!!!!!!!" when wearing colours, and doing the same when spotting another yid. If this is unacceptable and must be replaced with "Good'morrow fellow Tottenham Hotspur Supporter" everyone can go and fudge themselves.

It's always a massive, massive can of worms and comes down the basis of "being offended" itself but I'm a white guy who often calls white people crackers / gringos (just for bricks and giggles) but wouldn't use terms that have been used against other ethnic minorities for risk of causing offense (other than Yid thinking about it). Some people I imagine would find that hypocritical.

Also, we don't have a whole lot of songs and aren't the most original when coming up with new ones so it would put us in a bit of a tough spot if banned.

12% use yid outside a football context? Or 12% didn't understand the poorly worded question? Does anyone here ever use the term outside football? Not on this forum etc? Would be massively surprised if people are walking round using the term yid instead of "jewish". Not sure this survey has credibility because of the way questions were asked. Was massively confusing, like one of those tick boxes to get to you to sign up to marketing emails.

The word is offensive to many Jewish people and some of our fans, I personally haven't used it as I put it in the same category as the "nigger" word and was brought up not to use such terms. It's time to put it away and move on.

As a Spurs fan outside of London I do like getting a friendly "Yiddoooo!!!!!!!!" when wearing colours, and doing the same when spotting another yid. If this is unacceptable and must be replaced with "Good'morrow fellow Tottenham Hotspur Supporter" everyone can go and fudge themselves.

It's always a massive, massive can of worms and comes down the basis of "being offended" itself but I'm a white guy who often calls white people crackers / gringos (just for bricks and giggles) but wouldn't use terms that have been used against other ethnic minorities for risk of causing offense (other than Yid thinking about it). Some people I imagine would find that hypocritical.

Also, we don't have a whole lot of songs and aren't the most original when coming up with new ones so it would put us in a bit of a tough spot if banned.

what if we come up with something that rhymes but doesn’t cause offence to any person or group, we could use an acronym or something in the song, how about Fellow Lilywhite Identifying Dude?

Its a shame yid has become a thing ever since that clam Badiel tried to deflect attention away from chelsea supporters hissing. Which actually is worthy of condemnation. Until then, most Spurs supporters had no idea of the term's history, and it was quietly evolving. A term just like gooner or hammer - which is how Spurs fans have used yid for literally decades.

Then if you cared to look into the history you'd be pleasantly surprised to find it originated as a way to fight racism. No one can erase or re-write history, but you can let language evolve.

The word is offensive to many Jewish people and some of our fans, I personally haven't used it as I put it in the same category as the "nigger" word and was bought up not to use such terms. It's time to put it away and move on.

Thing is the n word is used regularly, as a term for mate. I don’t get offended when I see a black dude say ‘sup my nigga’

The more they try and ban it the more popular it becomes.

I'm really offended by ynwa, and that the opposition having to endure that brick before every game at brickfield, and broadcasters and commentators are told to shut up during it! I find that a lot more offensive. Can we get a ban on that?

Can't say I'm offended by it, but it is problematic. It could obviously be a massive morale booster for the home team, and might just bring on that extra bit of nervousness for the away team waiting for kick off.

Perhaps Spurs should just have both teams stand and wait while us fans sing Oh when the Spurs go marching on? There's no difference between the two.

Come to think of it, that could actually be quite something. Or is this how cults are formed...? o_O

As I’ve grown up - I’m 36 now and not Jewish - I’ve become less and less inclined to sing knowingly offensive songs - ie the Campbell party song etc - and I feel increasingly troubled about singing songs with the word ‘yid’ in.

While it is obviously part of our heritage and identity, it not easy to pick this one apart and keep everyone happy, I feel the time may be right for us to phase it out.

If a significant group of people are offended and upset by its singing, it should go IMO.

As I’ve grown up - I’m 36 now and not Jewish - I’ve become less and less inclined to sing knowingly offensive songs - ie the Campbell party song etc - and I feel increasingly troubled about singing songs with the word ‘yid’ in.

While it is obviously part of our heritage and identity, it not easy to pick this one apart and keep everyone happy, I feel the time may be right for us to phase it out.

If a significant group of people are offended and upset by its singing, it should go IMO.

But why is it offensive?

The term "Yid" can be understood to mean "Jewish" in a derogatory sense.

And in every day life it would be inappropriate to throw it around, because yes - it could be offensive.

In the stadium, when fans are singing "Yiddo!" at a player, does it mean "Yid" in a derogatory sense? Or does it mean "One of us" in a solidarity, supportive - collective sense?

People should be able to tell the difference, Jewish or not.

At which point - for me - to hear that and be offended really takes some doing.

I think it’s only right that the club are pro active about this even if the survey is not the best worded- the results clearly show a complicated situation.

Politics and religion have no place in football, neither does racism end of the day. I’m not bothered if we stop the yiddo chant, if it’s causing offence to some of our own supporters we should.

Its a shame yid has become a thing ever since that clam Badiel tried to deflect attention away from chelsea supporters hissing. Which actually is worthy of condemnation. Until then, most Spurs supporters had no idea of the term's history, and it was quietly evolving. A term just like gooner or hammer - which is how Spurs fans have used yid for literally decades.

Then if you cared to look into the history you'd be pleasantly surprised to find it originated as a way to fight racism. No one can erase or re-write history, but you can let language evolve.

This .. a few points

- The history of why we use it matters
- It clearly is no longer offensive intent if we use it to cheer our team/players

But additionally, diluting a words usage (from purely offensive to something you embrace or just use regularly) defuses it's actual ability to be offensive

As @spurspinter1 said, I've been given the yiddo acknowledgement when just wearing a hat/scarf or something with the smallest logo, not just in London either, and it's a pleasant experience.

I am not sure there is a big group of people that are offended. There are a few people who remember the term from the 1970s and before. When it did have a racial meaning. Without understanding how Spurs supporters have used the term for 30 odd years - as a name for any Spurs supporter- or realising it originated in standing up against racism, some older people might find it jarring. But understand those things, and I don't see how anyone has a problem with it. Hissing, referancing the holocost on the other hand, receives far less attention! Why is that???

Imo the club should let things be, rather than try and use this slightly underhand way to manipulate culture. All the fan quotes they cite are one-sided, the questions are design to give the response they want for their clean marketable image etc. What they don't realise is that this is part of Spurs history. It is our depth and our identity. You can't wash away the past because it suits your brand image aspirations.

Back