• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Moussa Sissoko

It has taken just three weeks with Jose Mourinho for Moussa Sissoko to go from one of the worst finishers in the Premier League to a genuine goal-threat.

Sissoko scored for the second time in three matches in Tottenham's 5-0 win over Burnley on Saturday, following up from his acrobatic finish against Bournemouth a week earlier and prompting chants of, "He scores when he wants," from the home fans.

Before the Cherries, he had gone 69 Premier League matches – a period spanning the entirety of last season – without scoring, or even coming close.

"[Mourinho] has given belief to everyone," Sissoko told Standard Sport, when asked what has changed. "Everyone knows we were in a difficult situation and the confidence was very low, so he tried to speak to everyone, to give everyone confidence, to be close to everyone.

"He knows I'm a player who likes to go box-to-box. I can score a few goals every year, so he said to me to just play my game, to go forward when I can and see if I can score. I scored because I was in the box. Maybe in the past I was deeper and didn't try. Hopefully I can score a few more goals."

While Sissoko is benefitting from Mourinho's management, the Frenchman does not entirely see eye-to-eye with his new manager when it comes to his best position. In the wake of defeat at Manchester United, Mourinho was adamant that Sissoko is best in the attacking three behind Harry Kane, rather than as one of his two deeper midfielders.

"I don’t think he’s a midfield player in a core position, No6 or a double 6. I think the best position for Moussa is when the team plays with a positional midfielder and he has freedom to go, or from the right like he did against Bournemouth," Mourinho said.

While happy to play anywhere, Sissoko feels happiest centrally. "I haven't spoken to him about [my position] but I saw [what he said]," he said. "He's the manager, so if he says to me to play as a No6 or at the front or on the right side, I will do my best. I know I'm capable to play every role. At the end [against Burnley], I even played right-back. But to be in the middle of the pitch is my best position. If it's No6, No8, No10, it doesn't matter, but I like to be in the centre. For the team I will do everything the manager asks me."

Wherever he has played, Sissoko has been short of opportunities to link-up with his France teammate Tanguy Ndombele, who has been hampered by fitness problems in a mixed start to life in England. Ndombele, 22, who joined Spurs for a club-record £65million in July, has blown hot and cold at Spurs and he will miss Wednesday's Champions League dead-rubber against Bayern Munich with a groin strain.

Sissoko is all too aware of the difficulties of settling in England, and specifically at a club like Spurs, and has no doubt his friend will come good soon.

"It's never easy to perform straight away, especially for him because he's so young," Sissoko said. "He needs to understand a lot of things. It's a big change compared to France and he needs time. I'm not going to compare him with myself because I was at Saudi Sportswashing Machine. But when I came to Tottenham, it was difficult. But I kept trying to give my best, to train well until I could perform. It took a few times for me to perform but in the end I did it. It will be the same for him. We know he has a lot of quality. He already showed it in a few games. He will improve week-by-week and I'm sure he will bring a lot for this club.

"I told him that. I speak with him every day. In the changing room he's sitting next to me. I'm always with him, and trying to help him. I know it's important to have someone close to you because his English as well is not good yet, so he needs someone close to him who can help him with everything. That's what I'm trying to do. I'm not worried. I know he will perform, do well and everyone will talk about him soon."

• I think its interesting his inference that Mourinho has changed how he is playing. If Pochettino was telling Sissoko not to attack, its not like he was listening anyway...
  • I absolutely disagree with him regarding position, I wouldnt have him central unless there was absolutely not other choice (I think Mourinhos judgement was spot on)
  • I think its quite wonderful how he is taking care of NDombele, it shows great character and maturity on his part - and could well be the best work he does for the club.
Am I allowed to be bother negative and positive about him? Or do I have to pick a side?
You have to pick a side. Noob.

Who is in his first year in the EPL, blah, blah, blah... (and I can't believe you made me google an arsewipe player, that's just below the belt)

Surely a better comparison would be some one like Walcott, they both can run very fast, both have similar footballing brains, both have scored the same number of goals this year and both can't play the CM role ;)

Wow, defending an Arsenal player over supporting a Spurs player. Interesting decision.

Seriously, did some of you get tinkled off when Sissoko scored? :D I'm just glad most of the fans that go to matches appreciate his work and have a little fun.

Wow, defending an Arsenal player over supporting a Spurs player. Interesting decision.

Seriously, did some of you get tinkled off when Sissoko scored? :D I'm just glad most of the fans that go to matches appreciate his work and have a little fun.
Interesting that's what you took out of that post.
Just suggested we compare donkeys with donkeys, it just confuses things when someone throws an Ass into the equation

I couldn't help but laugh when I saw Moussa steaming over to dutifully foul Adama in the 90th minute, because literally everyone else on that side of the field had already done so and been booked for it. :D

I actually enjoy that kind of brickhousery - it's the one thing I felt was lacking in Poch's approach to the game. It happened naturally at times (Lamela is a goddamn master at it), but Poch never really focused on that side of the game, which surprised me given his history as an utterly brickhousing centre-back.

Mourinho, on the other hand, has no inhibitions whatsoever, and it's entertaining to see the team carry out that newfound direction. :p

Goal Machine Moussa Sissoko.

Who'da thunk it? For what it's worth, his two goals and marauding play under Mourinho will at least have forced opposing managers to devote some energy and resources to ensure he doesn't have free reign to run in and tee up plays or shots. That wasn't remotely a concern under our beloved Mauricio Pochettino.

It's bound to create some sort of benefit elsewhere on the pitch for his team mates.

Certainly don’t help that he has to spend so much time covering for that macaronic right-back of ours whilst his first half midfield partner was a converted centre-back who was replaced at half time by a want away who doesn’t like to get stuck in.

57B1A244-AB2C-47D9-AE79-87D7DDB335ED.png 9A94311B-9D4E-4327-953D-2B11D6D48E2D.png

Back