• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT - Spurs v West Ham***

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think lots of keepers would have been beaten by that type of shot, it wasn't a clean hit and a lot of bodies moving around, not as easy as it looks on tv. I do think we need a top class keeper as none of ours appear to control the area or look good at corners.

bobbled in off his arse through a group of players

agree we could get better and I'm sure we will, still early days for Gazza though to be fair

For clarity you want Dier in front of a back 3? That would leave is one short in either midfield or attack, I'm not sure I see the logic in playing so many defensive players. Our FB aren't that great in attack that they compensate for losing a forward or midfielder.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk
I think the suggestion is a wonky 4-2-3-1, not Dier and three actual centre backs. As the graphics show, Davies staying back more, Aurier pushing forward, Dier deep in midfield.

Whereas previously both fullbacks might have pushed up, Dier dropping back to make it a temporary back three with Winks ahead of them.

I quite like the wonky.

I think that they are fatigued rather than lacking match fitness. As Dele and Mourinho said, it has been an emotionally draining week for them. I think that we are also underestimating how mentally and physically tough Poch's game is to play. This is why he wanted to rebuild, he had drained as much effort as he could from some of the players.
It was actually Mourinho’s most astute -and for me hopeful- comment post-match. He genuinely appears to realize the emotional impact the decision has had on several of the players, how draining that can be and how carefully that situation needs to be managed.
Both spot on for me. Mourinho also brought up the point of players wanting to prove themselves for him as the new manager, perhaps putting in a bit too much both in training and in that opening hour.

I think one factor too is our abysmal pressing over the last however many months. Leaves players working hard to cover for not working smart, will take time to get us back to making the right moves defensively that help us conserve energy better. Though it might mean less high pressing than under Pochettino at his peak.

One thing I noticed from the highlights- more progressive and quicker passing from Winks. It was his long forward pass into Alli who then released Son to score the first goal and it Was winks pass out wide to Aurier to cross for Kane’s goal. Good to see young winks actually passing the ball quickly and into danger areas he is more than capable

What was different?

1. Without the ball we had poise. There was no panic. The defense dropped off if they needed to. Each player got into position, looking around and ensuring there weren't spaces. We didn't exert massive energy closing down, but focused more on tight compact positioning and awareness. For me this was the biggest change.
  2. Each player knew their role. For example Davies was effectively another CB and was there to defend. Aurier free to get forward.
  3. The front 3 were asked to play on the shoulders of the defenders. That's partly why there were so many offsides. As wham's backline retreated because of the runners, it created more space for Alli and others.
  4. We were prepared to stay down after challenges and break up their play. Under Poch sometimes we'd get sucked into the opposition's game. Rather than impose our own. I think this tatic is part of us regaining control. Taking time. Re-grouping.
Only small differences. But it is what we needed. Aurier was excellent today, which is really a credit to Poch. He bought him on, improving in each game this season. Mourinho created the structure which helped him today, but Poch helped him to develop a greater defensive focus and gain confidence.

Wham were really poor. Still a lot of development to come from us. Baby steps.

Some tweaks on that

- We didn't overpress but we were much better at getting to 50/50 or second balls than I can recall in a long time
- Yes, role definition was better
- It was clear Kane was told to play on the last man and to be more physical, most I've seen him offside, most fouls as well (Jose likes his strikers to bully the opposing CBs)
- We had a transition plan, you can see it in the pass map and the speed, it's something we have been screaming for, get the ball, get to the front 4 quickly.

I'm not sure I give Poch that much credit, Aurier was much better today because when called to defend more often than not, instead of diving in, he just was so close to his attacked when the ball came in, it made it very difficult for the attacker to get an effective shot off (was example of a tame header where Aurier was just tight and killed the ability to direct with power)

But the other difference Is the team played, was motivated. That plus the tweaks was substantial

I quite liked how direct we were at times, with the pace we have up front it gave us something different
Loved the old Dele being back
and also for me there was no fudging around with it at the back it was cleared and cleared big
I was impressed well until at least they got one back, the last 25 minutes weren't brilliant

This is a badly needed win ! It is great to start the Mourinho era with the win. This is our first win in 6 matches and also our first away win in the league in 13 matches since January ! We started the match well and deserved to lead 3-0. But as usual we got complacent after that and was fortunate to get away with the 3-2 win. It was really tense late in the match after West Ham scored their goals. This shows Mourinho has lot of work to do to improve us this season.

Credit to Son, Moura and Kane for the goals. For once our attack looked very sharp. Too bad we could't score more goals. We still wasted a few other chances. Thought Alli was our best player as he assisted 1 goal and helped set up another goal with a classy flick. Good to see Alli back to his best after so long. Too bad he didn't score but not sure if his good form is down to the Mourinho effect. I think Alli played well due to having his best friend Dier playing with him !

Our midfield started well but finished poorly. Not sure Winks and Dier are our best midfield partnership. They worked hard but still didn't tackle much. Our midfield should have protected our defence for both West Ham goals. This show we still need a quality defensive midfielder like Dembele and Wanyama used to be. Let's see how Ndombele will develop under Mourinho.

Our defence conceded 2 poor goals. It was annoying to see us failing to keep clean sheet yet again. Alderweireld was at fault for getting turned easily for the first goal while Sanchez should have done better for the second goal. Our defence didn't look comfortable for whole match whenever West Ham attacked. Let's hope Mourinho can improve our defending once Vertonghen is back from injury.

Still find it hard to believe that Mourinho is in charge at Spurs after replacing Pochettino. It is encouraging to start the Mourinho era with the win. But we still need to improve more especially our defending. We cannot afford to finish as poorly as we did in this match. Let's hope Mourinho improve our performance and results for the rest of the season.

Which of course begs the question, why weren't these same players making those runs for Poch?

interesting for me is Kane’s comments.

on the one hand you can understand and steff was completely right about the love there ‘father figure stuff, because he went to his house.

on the other hand he’s subtlety suggests we are more likely to lift silverware with Jose in charge.

believe me mate I’m the guiltiest for laying into poch and have to live with that! Just saying I expected a more effort based reaction from our squad, yet I feel the time isn’t now right to keep running poch down now.

ruddy hypocrisy from me I’m sure, but before things went wrong, poch elevated us so, enabling us to attract a proven winner. This for me is key and something I have to hold my hands up to and admit.

agreed, though we do need a resolution to the ‘shi-t-ting our pants mode’ when the tide is turning against us.
Here's the thing, though, we didn't brick our pants. They were pushing forward, which is normal for a team that's behind, by which time we were in ho-hum mode. When we were 1-0 and 2-0 up and in focus mode they did fudge all, even though you would have expected them to push us.

And even when we took our foot off the gas they still created nothing and their two goals came from a set piece and an excellent piece of individual skill from Antonio.

Here's the thing, though, we didn't brick our pants. They were pushing forward, which is normal for a team that's behind, by which time we were in ho-hum mode. When we were 1-0 and 2-0 up and in focus mode they did fudge all, even though you would have expected them to push us.

And even when we took our foot off the gas they still created nothing and their two goals came from a set piece and an excellent piece of individual skill from Antonio.
Me no like ho-hum mode.

interesting for me is Kane’s comments.

on the one hand you can understand and steff was completely right about the love there ‘father figure stuff, because he went to his house.

on the other hand he’s subtlety suggests we are more likely to lift silverware with Jose in charge.

believe me mate I’m the guiltiest for laying into poch and have to live with that! Just saying I expected a more effort based reaction from our squad, yet I feel the time isn’t now right to keep running poch down now.

ruddy hypocrisy from me I’m sure, but before things went wrong, poch elevated us so, enabling us to attract a proven winner. This for me is key and something I have to hold my hands up to and admit.
What did Kane say? I missed most of the post match comments.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

Back