• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Serge Aurier

I would say if you look back at how we played when Walker and Rose were here and on their game they too were used as overload as we had the DESK attack with all rotating positions across the full width of the attacking third - not at Citys level but similar approach. Im pretty certain if you gave Guardiola full backs not up to his game plan they would become much easier to defend and score against. And he would make it a high priority to get the ones he needed in future windows - they've probably spent more money on fullbacks than any other position in their team which would show how important the position is to their game.

You can't just say oh well find another way of playing, with inferior full backs and maintain the same level of performance and expect that to be taken as a valid opinion

No disagreement, but two comments

- Walker & Rose (of that vintage) have been gone for 3 years now and we haven't found an adequate replacement
- The lack of prioritization of a FB in this summer was quite amazing (seems we knew our targets early and they didn't really have a emphasis there)

So my commentary is, if you could replace them, then great, however if 3 years in you haven't perhaps you need to consider adapting?

No disagreement, but two comments

- Walker & Rose (of that vintage) have been gone for 3 years now and we haven't found an adequate replacement
- The lack of prioritization of a FB in this summer was quite amazing (seems we knew our targets early and they didn't really have a emphasis there)

So my commentary is, if you could replace them, then great, however if 3 years in you haven't perhaps you need to consider adapting?

Aurier was obviously an attempt at replacing Walker, it just hasn't panned out - a year with Trippier and he fighting for first choice and then one with Aurier isn't really a questionable course of action - it's a fair crack to a new signing. Foyth looked to have been a Dier to DM type project this season but injuries put paid to that early on so solutions outside of the box were obviously being considered. It could well be that Poch saw CM as a more pressing concern, maybe our primary targets are not available till next summer, who knows - a budget is finite and you can't expect to fix everything in one window afterall.

Im quietly confident Sessegnon will be Roses replacement, and it was always hoped Rose would have a couple more years in the tank. Hasn't turned out that way and his form has dropped off a cliff this season.

I'm sure there are a few (otherwise quality FBs would be plentiful)

But to put a finer point on it, yes in the modern game FBs are expected to contribute, the issue is when you expect them to be the only source of width and the biggest part of your creativity. City uses Walker as example but they have lots of creativity in midfield and lots of AMs that can play wide and add pace/attack, so Walker is more the overload vs. the focus.

3 creative points in entire side, CM (one player), LB, RB (so two thirds?)

You chose to interpret that as most effective or best creators, I have simply explained why the FBs as a creative option in the setup Poch uses is not only critical but the biggest part (it's super simple to stifle a single CM in midfield)

What role do you think the FB's provide for Poch? defense?

Again its your words, not mine. Its your interpretation, not mine.

I know what the tactics are supposed to be.
You explain it better than I could in your follow up post. But in the original post you say that the fbs are expected to be the biggest part of our creative process.
I would also take issues with the math, we don't have one cm creating chances.
We have Eriksen, son and dele, not to mention Ndombele or lamela.

Was in full agreement with those citing an urgent need when possible to sign a new rb and offload him.

Yet today I thought he was immense for us. His performance blew me away, or blew me off! One of the two!

Was in full agreement with those citing an urgent need when possible to sign a new rb and offload him.

Yet today I thought he was immense for us. His performance blew me away, or blew me off! One of the two!
He looked finished under Pochettino with his inconsistency and frequent errors just too costly. If Mourinho can get consistency out of him there's still hope, seems like the kind of thing Mourinho can do though he can also quickly scrap someone for not already showing that consistency.

Second chance saloon for everyone, question is who will be left standing.

I thought he looked a bit dodgy in the early part of the game. A few sloppy passes (though in fairness he wasn’t the only one). But he improved as the game went on and by the end was one of our better players.

He looked like a passable version of a Premiership full back today, well done.

If his positioning and concentration doesn’t improve under Jose then it never will, positive signs today.
It’s funny how history taints people’s view of the present. I thought he played really, really well in a wing back kind of role. It would’ve been difficult for any right back to give a better performance than Aurier did today.

It’s funny how history taints people’s view of the present. I thought he played really, really well in a wing back kind of role. It would’ve been difficult for any right back to give a better performance than Aurier did today.
Just in case I wasn’t clear enough in my post.., I thought he played well yesterday, one of our top 3 performers on the day with Dele and Son. It’s why I bumped his thread from page 3!

He was one of our best players yesterday and there is talent there for sure. To be honest i thought he was judged very quickly when he first came here and that has stuck in some fans minds. I hope Jose can turn his talent ( which he has) into more consistant performances.

Back