• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

I like him alot but the things he needs to work on are still there after two/three years,his ability to get caught in possession waas there against Brighton,He thinks he's cool and calm in his play but he needs to speed up his game alot.

I'm hoping there is a Graham Roberts type of player in there somewhere but he's running out of time i think

Sadly, i think he's physically broken. The mind is willing but the body simply cannot do it anymore.
Seems a curse of many a cm under Poch, sadly. Started with Ryan Mason..
:(

genuine question - I'm trying to remember the last time i saw Eric play really well, dominant in the tackle and sharp. Can anyone remind me?

He's not had injuries though - its been illnesses. Tonsillitis and then appendicitis. That's why you hope he'll be able to recover fully.

Lets hope so because he is the only one we have who can play that position in front of the back four ( and do it well). Anyone who has suffered with long illness knows how hard/long it can take to get back to full fitness.

Five years, over 200 appearances, so many incredible highs and a few crushing lows, Eric Dier has been a constant in this team since arriving at the same time as Mauricio Pochettino ahead of the 2014/15 season. He cares, is hurt by recent results and determined to help put matters right.

Still only 25, Eric, who has proudly worn the armband for Club and country, was consistency personified before illness and injury restricted him to 28 appearances last season. Indeed, he featured in 146 of our 161 matches in all competitions across the 2015/16, 2016/17 and 2017/18 seasons, a record he’s rightly proud of.

After a tough start this time around, he’s back, fit and focussed as we look to pick up the pieces from recent defeats against Colchester United in the League Cup, Bayern Munich in the Champions League and Brighton last time out in the Premier League.

“To be honest, after Brighton, I wanted to play again the next day,” he reflected at Hotspur Way after training on Tuesday. “It’s never nice going into an international break on that note and having to wait this long.

“At the same time, it gives you time to settle and put your emotions in the right place. Hopefully that’s what we’ll do, and we can all push through this as a Club. We need everyone - players, staff, fans - to stand up and push through this.

“For me, the main thing is we’ve been working all together – okay, some people have gone, some people have come in - but working all together over the last five years to get to the point where this is the conversation when you lose two games on the trot.

“We’ve wanted to get to the point where we are considered a team that if you lose two games like that, you come in for a lot of criticism. Now, we have to embrace the situation.

“We’ve got to this point and now we need to... as I said to the press after the Brighton game, we can’t back down, we need to push forward, push through it, fight through it, everyone together.

“I really feel the mentality in the building is ‘let’s fight through this’. I don’t want us to be one of those teams that allows a situation like this escalate and eventually bring us down. I want us to all stand up and push through it and that’s the feeling from everyone here. We’re a very realistic group, very realistic about our situation and we know we need to do better.

“One of the hardest things in football is not to take the highs too high and the lows too low. We need to try to keep that balance. I know sometimes that’s difficult (with all the opinions outside the Club) but that’s the reality and as I said, you can go through a good period or a bad period and both will be blown out of all proportion.

“Sometimes we might win 3-0 but we’re not happy with the performance, even though everyone is saying ‘Spurs are amazing’. Sometimes we lose, and we think ‘you know what, we played really well’. That balance comes from the manager. He is very honest, realistic and sees things for how they really are.

“We lost two games and had other results that haven’t been good enough for us but that’s because we’ve worked very hard over the last five years and got to the point where we expect to win every game we play.

“It’s always been one of this team’s strengths, coming together and getting ourselves out of difficult situations in games, in tough periods. We’ve shown that so many times and my drive, and everyone’s drive, is to get us out of this situation as well.”

That starts with back-to-back home games on the horizon – Watford in the Premier League on Saturday (3pm) and Crvena zvezda (Red Star) in the Champions League on Tuesday evening (7.45pm).

Eric added: “We’re going to have to be as strong as we’ve ever been to push past this period, and you can have my word that everyone here will do the most they possibly can to do that.”

Sadly, i think he's physically broken. The mind is willing but the body simply cannot do it anymore.
Seems a curse of many a cm under Poch, sadly. Started with Ryan Mason..
:(

Defensive CMs that tackle hard very rarely last -> Parker, Palacios, Sandro, Wanyama all feel to injuries and body break down in the end.

To @Gutter Boy's point, perhaps it's just illness and may have actually given the body some recovery time, even if he's far from fully match fit (hopeful view)

Dier to me is best when the system is defined, when he knew he had to step into the back 3 or move across to cover FB depending on the play. It is something I feel we miss now. Mid level players can excel when the system is clear and roles and expectations have been drilled in repeatedly.

Captain talk there from Dier.

If he was fit he'd probably be my choice, keeper and strikers as captains always seem token appointments.

I like my captains in the middle of the pitch.

I hope upon hope he can regain his old self, because I agree, he is full-on captain material. Kane is a good skipper too though.But Dier always felt like he'd be a skipper for us. Here's hoping he is ready to get playing regularly again, and isn't "broken".

Defensive CMs that tackle hard very rarely last -> Parker, Palacios, Sandro, Wanyama all feel to injuries and body break down in the end.

To @Gutter Boy's point, perhaps it's just illness and may have actually given the body some recovery time, even if he's far from fully match fit (hopeful view)
I was listening to [[[Gooner]]] Per Mertesacker on the Graham Hunter podcast yesterday. It was interesting stuff.
One thing he said was that every player needs a break, particularly if you play Euros/World Cup during the summer.
He said one year he hardly had a break, thought that he could 'go again' and as he jogged onto the pitch to warm up in pre-season, his knee just went scrzzlak and he was out for a couple of months.
It was his body saying "nope" even though his mind wanted to go again. Sounds like Dier after his England heroics.

Captain talk there from Dier.

If he was fit he'd probably be my choice, keeper and strikers as captains always seem token appointments.

I like my captains in the middle of the pitch.

My thoughts as well, i have been banging the drum for him to be our captain for a while now and i do believe he is made for the job.

We also miss his drive from our M/F and i hope he is over his health problems and return into our team soon.

Back